View Full Version : I need help with a project, please.

nosmohtac
03-05-2004, 09:30 PM
First of all, I am not very creative, but I know that a lot of you here are.

I need to create a poster for my workplace. It will cover the process for employees to follow for how to handle reporting of unsafe conditions.

I'm thinking that a flow chart, or a closed-loop cycle would likely work the best. I can handle getting the information in that's needed, but I'm not very artistic, and need to make it "eye catching".

Right now, I'm trying to do it using powerpoint, then when I print the slide out on a color printer, I'll likely take it to Kinko's and have them blow it up into a poster.
I don't know if powerpoint is the best to use, but I'm not real familiar with MS Publisher, or any other graphical software.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I also need to try to come up with something that will easily record (with a time date stamp) when a switch is turned on. I need to go to Radio Shack and get a small case and install a red and green light connected to a STDP switch. The problem is, I need a way to know the date and time the switch was switched to the RED light, as well as the duration that it was there. It doesn't have to be fancy, or exactly as I stated, I just need to have the data recorded for safety reasons.

Thanks again for any help
Clark

Darren Behan
03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
If you have access to Visio, it is going to be much better in my opinion for doing your diagram given that it is the sort of thing that it is explicitly built for. It's fairly intuitive and you can save the resulting diagram in a variety of formats including jpg & bmp.

As far as the eye catching part of it, that's kind of subjective in my experience but bright bold colors and large fonts can get you part of the way there. Visio also allows for this king of formatting.

In the absence of Visio, you can do it in Powerpoint.

I'll keep an eye on this thread & if you want to send me a document of the steps, I'll see what I can throw together for you. Let me know.

As to the subject matter of reporting unsafe conditions, I hope you don't work for a nuclear power plant 8O

No idea about the red/green timer thing. Sorry.

db

David Prahl
03-06-2004, 09:21 PM
I would also suggest trying Microsoft Visio - you might find a 2003 demo out there somewhere.

dmacburry2003
03-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Visio is pretty nice, once you get past the price :lol:

And yes, I agree, get the trial. 60 days. Very nice.

GoldKey
03-07-2004, 12:06 AM
SmartDraw - http://smartdraw.com/

is another option, cheaper than Viso. They also have a free trial.