View Full Version : ipaq 1945 audio??

wizardmaster2k
03-05-2004, 06:31 AM
hello, i have an ipaq 1945 and i like to listen to music w/ earphones with it. when they are plugged in, i hear a "hiss" kinda sound. kinda airy, when it should be silent. anyone else have this problem? also, what is a good application to listen to .WAV formats (i rip audio from seinfeld ect. and save them as .WAV's) thanks.

Trimac20
03-05-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say you 'rip audio from Seinfield.' Do you rip the audio from a downloaded MPEG, DVD.etc or do you record it directly from a TV/PC.etc via your PPC's mic? WAV is notoriously sensitive to noise interference. Especially when recording with the Pocket PCs inbuilt mic. There is always some discnernable noise: especially when you place it close to the sound source.
By the way, when you ripped the audio off Seinfield what was the bandwitch/quality. eg what was the kb/s and bandwitch. A higher value will usually have better quality including less interference. If you saved it as a very low value (eg. 22kb/second) you can't expect too much. Try re-ripping it. In fact, are the sure there wasn't already alot of static in the original source? Anyway, hope this helps.

Trimac20
03-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Oh , I guess I didn't read your post carefully. If the sound only comes on when you are using headphones than it is a different matter. Firstly, make sure that the headphones are properly plugged in (rather than 'halfway' in). If the interference remains, then I would check on headphones. Often dust,etc. in any part of the phones may get in or unwanted substances (particularly magnetic) might be interfering with the electro-magnetic field and cause unwanted vibration. If that doesn't work, get a new set of headphones. If all else fails, then there is a slight possibility there is a hardware issue with the Pocket PC itself but this is unlikely. A software problem may be to blame, but if it is playing correctly without headphone or on the PC speakers than there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

wizardmaster2k
03-05-2004, 07:08 AM
well, to answer the question on the wav's, i have the epps on the pc as either .avi or .mpg. then i use virtual dub to extract the audio from it as a .wav. i havent found a good program to play them on the ppc yet, but on my desktop the quality is as good as the original and about 5mb total file size.

the prob with the headphones is whenever i plug them in, i hear the background hiss/airy sound. doesnt matter if im playing a song or not. i tried the headphones with my desktop and other devises and it sounds clear. im not sure if this is with a lot of ppc's, cause i have had a few and most of them have background noise w/ headphones.