View Full Version : PDA Drops Out of Ultimate Gadgets List

Jonathon Watkins
03-05-2004, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3526441.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3526441.stm</a><br /><br /></div>The BBC reports that: "Gadget lovers will need a healthy bank balance if they want to own this year's must-have technology, according to Stuff Magazine. Its top ten gadgets for 2004 will set the keen gadgeteer back a hefty £8,420. " 8O OK, that's UK prices mind, but still!<br /><br />Those Top Ten Gadgets were: "Bluetooth Mobile (Nokia 6600), MP3 Jukebox (Apple iPod), Plasma Screen (Pioneer PDP-434HDE), Home Cinema (Pioneer NS-DV990), Personal Video Recorder (Sky+), Digital Camera (Pentax Optio S4), Games Console (Microsoft Xbox), Wi-fi Laptop (Sony Vaio), Wireless Network (Netgear), Watch (Seiko Arctura Kinetic)." So, the is kit for someone that enjoys having their visual and aural senses massaged & who does not get out much? :lol: <br /><br />This bit is interesting however. "In contrast, the palmtop computer has dropped off the list for the first time in five years as other PC-connected gadgets fulfil the same function, with added benefits such as playing music and e-mailing. Wireless technologies such as Bluetooth and wi-fi laptops continue to increase in popularity, with Nokia's Bluetooth-enabled handset the number one must-have gadget. " Mmmmmm, Bluetooth! :wink: <br /><br />So, does their top ten list match yours? What are your thoughts on PDAs dropping out of their annual list? :?:

Zack Mahdavi
03-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, PDAs don't suit everyone. A lot of people feel comfortable writing down their appointments on a sheet of paper or in a datebook. Some people resort to using their phone's datebook, but that just seems painful to me.

Here's my top 10 gadgets for 2004:

10) WiFi Network (Netgear)
9) Oracle Database (More of a software gadget for the lab I work at)
8) Bluetooth car (Acura TL... I want one! Too bad I won't be getting one)
7) 17" LCD FlatPanel
6) USB Memory Key (Sandisk)
5) MP3 Player (2nd gen 10GB iPod)
4) Bluetooth headset (Jabra)
3) Bluetooth cellphone (T610)
2) Portable Laptop (12" Powerbook)
1) Pocket PC (iPaq 4155)

That's my list.. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

popabawa
03-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Personal Video Recorder (Sky+)

It's STILL just about the only PVR available in the UK and it SUCKS compared to my (nearly) 3 year-old TiVo.

I wish we could get some of those luverly series 2 TiVo's in the UK :cry:

&lt;squeezes eyes shut and wishes VERY hard>

Iain.

bjornkeizers
03-05-2004, 10:19 AM
They have a nice list. Of course, most of us already have most of that stuff: the wifi enabled laptop, the network gear..

One thing I don't understand though is the watch: why a simple Seiko Arctura Kinetic? Granted, it's an OK watch, but nothing geeky about it.. I would have expected them to pick the Fossil spot watches, or perhaps something nice from Citizen.

If I had to pick a new entry for that list, I'd go for.. A Citizen Promaster, either a Wingman [Sky series] or a nice diver. They have one that's almost spot on for a Rolex Submariner. Both of these cost less then half of the Seiko, and the Wingman has a ton of features. Plus, I think they even have an eco drive version :mrgreen:

I'm probably going to buy a Wingman later this month - If I can find one here. I just can't help it; I'm a watch addict. I have eleven watches :lol:

Philip Colmer
03-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Pretty close match ... got the BT mobile (T68i - looking to replace it though), not bothered about an MP3 jukebox (got my Sony MiniDisc or I could use my Axim), getting a Plasma Screen for my birthday next year (buying it myself!), got home cinema, got PVR, got digital camera (Sony DSC-U60 - read the review on DMT!), not bothered about a games console - can't play for toffee, got a Wi-Fi laptop (Dell) and a wireless network (SMC but due to replace that when we get broadband). Never heard of the Seiko Arctura Kinetic, though.

Actually, on the plasma screen point, I was on a training course last week & got chatting with a guy from Bose who said that the Next Big Thing would be LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon). Apparently next year will really see some developments there, so just sharing the gossip :-)

--Philip

Jonathon Watkins
03-05-2004, 01:49 PM
...so just sharing the gossip :-)

We like gossip. Al :way to go: Always good to know what is coming down the pipeline.

Any more top 10 lists guys?

surur
03-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Those Top Ten Gadgets were: "Bluetooth Mobile (Nokia 6600),....

This bit is interesting however. "In contrast, the palmtop computer has dropped off the list for the first time in five years as other PC-connected gadgets fulfil the same function, with added benefits such as playing music and e-mailing. Wireless technologies such as Bluetooth and wi-fi laptops continue to increase in popularity, with

Dont worry, once the MPx becomes the must have gadget (Which does not mean the biggest selling, just most desirable (and of course it is!)) PDA's will be on the list again. And BTW the Nokia 6600 is pretty UGLY :pukeface:

Surur

Kevin Daly
03-05-2004, 02:26 PM
The "added benefits" they talk about are interesting, since they are of course things that Pocket PCs do and do well. Perhaps their definition of "PDA" is rather narrow? Once it becomes useful it isn't one?

On the other hand, my considered, well thought out and carefully argued response to this is "who cares what they think?".

The Yaz
03-05-2004, 03:43 PM
How fast PDA's are forgotten...

I still would choose a current PocketPC over the iPod on this list because I can still do so much more than just listen to music on it (like video).

Now, if they had listed one of those handheld digital video players, that I might have understood (major tech points).

Steve 8)

hotweiss
03-05-2004, 04:09 PM
And BTW the Nokia 6600 is pretty UGLY

That's what I thought, until I saw it in a store. It's actually a very nice phone...

ombu
03-05-2004, 04:12 PM
On the other hand, my considered, well thought out and carefully argued response to this is "who cares what they think?".
:rotfl:

I'll sell my iPaq and buy some stuff in their list I don't own, yet. :mrgreen:

rzanology
03-05-2004, 09:30 PM
:: sigh :: who ever does these list should be fired! Same thing over at cnet. They always come out of no where with these wack things that most of us already have and put back in the box. You want to impress me? Show me an ipaq with a external media control. Show me a new ppc with a 2 gig internal drive...shooooow me THE MONEY!!! :)

Zack Mahdavi
03-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Show me an ipaq with a external media control. Show me a new ppc with a 2 gig internal drive...shooooow me THE MONEY!!! :)

I think I'd have a heart attack if the manufacturers ever get off their butt and introduce a PDA with an internal drive. I can't wait! Maybe there'll be one by Christmas...
8O

rzanology
03-05-2004, 09:48 PM
The only way we'll see that is if steve jobs decides he has maxed out the ipod's "pda" capabilities :roll: and actualy makes a pocket mac. You know how a lil compition drives the wheel.

shawnc
03-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Haven't read the list but the PDA dropping off makes sense. I love my 4150 but its still WAY overpriced (not just it but any unit that does more than basic PIM). This machine is the classic "tweener" (you know the 6'4" high school power forward). It doesn't do enough to become a mainstream business machine (Word & Excel capability is the all-time biggest farce ever foisted on consumers) and its too expensive to capture the teen market. IMO the strength of these machines is NOT in their PIM capabilities (most cell phones perform PIM functions just fine thank you and you can makes calls without looking like you have a brick to your face). It's in things like music playback, internet content download, and ebook reading. The problem is to do two of three of these requires the purchase of a storage card. Add a couple hundred bucks right there. Takes it out of the reach of most teens I know.

We may love our machines, but it is a niche product. Always will be.

BTS
03-06-2004, 02:22 AM
I can certainly appreciate how cell phones and MP3 players have been adding the traditional PIM apps. Considering, though, that I use my Toshiba to also run specialized software - I'm not giving up on it any time soon and it still remains my ultimate and most talked about gadget.

Now, if I had one of those new Motorolas..... 8)

MikeUnwired
03-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Hey leading edge is a fleating target. I just sold my "leading edge" Sony UX system to pick up my first iPOD. I like that the iPOD is dedicated to just music, but I LOVE the 20 GB drive inside it. I couldn't buy an adequately large drive like that in the iPOD for what I got the whole iPOD system for, so I went that way instead. When I sweating my big butt off on an hour ride in the gym and then lifting for another hour, I don't want to be worrying about cracking my Pocket PC screen either.

Also, I felt like I was missing something -- not being a "POD" person and all. 8) Now I feel like I'm back in the "in" crowd.

Zack Mahdavi
03-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Also, I felt like I was missing something -- not being a "POD" person and all. 8) Now I feel like I'm back in the "in" crowd.

Yeah, I go to the University of Texas at Austin, and every time I walk outside, I see a good 30 people with the signature white iPod headphones. When I don't have my iPod on me (or at least the headphones connected to my PocketPC), I feel left out. It's really weird... :?

Janak Parekh
03-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I go to the University of Texas at Austin, and every time I walk outside, I see a good 30 people with the signature white iPod headphones.
It's funny -- I see roughly 10-20 people with those white headphones during my commute everyday, and I'm using the same device as them, but my headphones are black. :| Oh well...

--janak

minimage
03-07-2004, 08:23 PM
I say "whatever!"

1. TabletPC (didja expect me to say anything else?)
2. WiFi Laptop
3. Small form-factor PC
4. PDA Phone / Smartphone
5. PDA
6. LCD
7. Cell Phone w/ wireless internet
8. Xbox
9. Digital Jukebox
10. Digital Camera

And I just can't wait until my PenCentra arrives tomorrow! It's going to tide me over until I can get a TabletPC :)