View Full Version : Tek-N-Toys

pgb5
03-03-2004, 11:49 PM
As great and useful and informative as PPCThoughts is, TeknToys is the polar opposite as a on-line retailer. I've tried to order 3 items, all to no avail for a myriad of reasons...no stock, stock due tomorrow, stock due the following day, waiting for UPS to drop it off this afternoon...and so on. And this information is only provided after multiple email requests. No automatic updates. Finally, the kicker is that they immediately charge your credit card. These guys would accept pre-orders for Pocket PC Moon Edition, if it were rumored. They're the "dog ate my homework" of on-line retailers. Never, and I mean Never, will I order something through TeknToys. I don't understand why such a great and reputable site such as PPCThoughts would affiliate with such dubious retailer.

drj
03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Well this thread is about Imates and how carrier devices are offering EXCELLENT support. There are Lots and Lots of other places to buy Imate Pocket PC's than tekntoys!

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 05:27 AM
As great and useful and informative as PPCThoughts is, TeknToys is the polar opposite as a on-line retailer. I've tried to order 3 items, all to no avail for a myriad of reasons...no stock, stock due tomorrow, stock due the following day, waiting for UPS to drop it off this afternoon...and so on. And this information is only provided after multiple email requests. No automatic updates. Finally, the kicker is that they immediately charge your credit card. These guys would accept pre-orders for Pocket PC Moon Edition, if it were rumored. They're the "dog ate my homework" of on-line retailers. Never, and I mean Never, will I order something through TeknToys. I don't understand why such a great and reputable site such as PPCThoughts would affiliate with such dubious retailer.

Uh, who are you exactly? You've never posted on the site before, and you come into my forums and post the same thing twice in two threads? Sounds like you're someone with an axe to grind - perhaps someone from a Pocket PC Passion thread coming over here to cause trouble?

Look, I've heard people complain about Tek 'n Toys before, and each time I've intervened, and each time it's been a case of misunderstanding or miscommunication. Absolutely no vendor is "trouble free", and it's naïve to expect that EVERY customer will be 100% happy with EVERY transaction. I've been very public about my support for Tek 'n Toys because I believe them to be honest retailers. Until I'm presented with proof, I'm not willing to believe hearsay.

pgb5
03-04-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm a regular reader; simply never taken to post. And no, I'm not here to stir up trouble. As a retailer for more than 17 years, I feel compelled to speak out against businesses that operate poorly. I'd suggest that rather than than being defensive, you open your eyes to you're affiliate partner's less than mediocre business practice.
Let's start with honesty. Several months ago when the SPV-E200 was released, I spoke directly with a TT representative who told me they were waiting on UPS to deliver that afternoon. Weeks later, no inventory. And no return call or email as to when to expect my order to be fullfilled.
Continuing on that same theme, I inquired about purchasing an iMate Smartphone 2 just last week. "Yes, we have 1 in stock." I confirmed that if I placed an order, it would ship the same day. "Oh, sorry, we're mistaken, we're all out, but expect stock on Monday" Sure, same story.
Finally, I purchased a stylus replacement set for my Pocket PC Phone Edition. One, two, three weeks pass, no delivery, no update on availability or when it will ship.
The upshot of all this is that my credit card was charged immediately for each of the items I ordered.
Good retail isn't just a matter of throwing up a website and collecting money. Good retail is good value; meaning timely follow-through, clear and consistent communication and product as ordered. In 3 attemps, TeknToys has yet to meet any of the above.
As I mentioned, I think this site is excellent. I visit multiple times, daily. When TeknToys was mentioned as an affiliate, I immediately became a shopper, based on the recommendation. Needless to say, I've been disappointed. Once, OK. Twice, hmm, a pattern? Three times...enough.
Personally, I'm done, but I think other readers should know what' they're getting and you, as the editor, should know how your affiliate is representing you as an advocate.

BuddhaBravo
03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Jason Dunn says:
Sounds like you're someone with an axe to grind - perhaps someone from a Pocket PC Passion thread coming over here to cause trouble?

No, that would be me.

But I'm far from the only person ever burned by Tek-N-Toys in the past and it doesn't look as though anything's changed.

From reading various recent posts it seems they're been promising the shipment of I-mate accessories that they've yet to receive (again).

I'm not surprised. I am surprised that other people are.

How you can contiue to defend this company's practices in the face of so many users' unpleasant experiences remains a mystery.

Paragon
03-04-2004, 05:39 PM
- perhaps someone from a Pocket PC Passion thread coming over here to cause trouble?

Hey! You lookin' for a fight buddy! :D

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 05:53 PM
We've heard from one side of the fence... Now for the other side.

I have purchased three items from Tek 'N Toys over the last 4-5 months and have received excellent service each time. In each case, I was advised about the approximate timeline for delivery - and in all cases it was accurate.

I emphasized the word approximate above for a reason. Tek 'N Toys as with all retailers (both bricks 'n mortar and online) only has so much control over things like product availability and shipping times. When they place an order from a supplier, they are given a timeline as well. If their suppliers deviate from this timeline, it's not T&T's fault. This is particularly true with popular, high demand items and hard-to-source items - many of which T&T goes out of their way to offer.

I know what some of you will say -'if there's a delay - let me know!'. This is a legitimate request. However - what if T&T's supplier(s) haven't provided them with updated delivery time information? What then? Or - what about when customs sits on a shipment for 3 or 4 days? T&T frequently imports hard to source items from all over the world. What then?

In my experience, I have seldom encountered online or bricks 'n mortar retailers that provide these type of updates. Typically, you place your order and they email you when it has shipped. I don't think that I have ever been emailed about delays in availability come to think of it and I am a very frequent online shopper

If your looking for instant availability and instant delivery - go to Best Buy or Future Shop. Although, your not likely to be pleased by their product selection or their customer service experience either. If your looking for difficult to source, brand new and/or popular item - expect some delays. Instant gratification is great - but it's not always realistic. As adults, we're supposed to be able to cope with this.

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Jason Dunn says:
Sounds like you're someone with an axe to grind - perhaps someone from a Pocket PC Passion thread coming over here to cause trouble?

No, that would be me.

But I'm far from the only person ever burned by Tek-N-Toys in the past and it doesn't look as though anything's changed.

From reading various recent posts it seems they're been promising the shipment of I-mate accessories that they've yet to receive (again).

I'm not surprised. I am surprised that other people are.

How you can contiue to defend this company's practices in the face of so many users' unpleasant experiences remains a mystery.

Hmmm - interesting. Yet another first time poster. I think you might be right Jason.

Paragon
03-04-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm a regular reader; simply never taken to post. And no, I'm not here to stir up trouble. As a retailer for more than 17 years, I feel compelled to speak out against businesses that operate poorly. I'd suggest that rather than than being defensive, you open your eyes to you're affiliate partner's less than mediocre business practice.
Let's start with honesty. Several months ago when the SPV-E200 was released, I spoke directly with a TT representative who told me they were waiting on UPS to deliver that afternoon. Weeks later, no inventory. And no return call or email as to when to expect my order to be fullfilled.
Continuing on that same theme, I inquired about purchasing an iMate Smartphone 2 just last week. "Yes, we have 1 in stock." I confirmed that if I placed an order, it would ship the same day. "Oh, sorry, we're mistaken, we're all out, but expect stock on Monday" Sure, same story.
Finally, I purchased a stylus replacement set for my Pocket PC Phone Edition. One, two, three weeks pass, no delivery, no update on availability or when it will ship.
The upshot of all this is that my credit card was charged immediately for each of the items I ordered.
Good retail isn't just a matter of throwing up a website and collecting money. Good retail is good value; meaning timely follow-through, clear and consistent communication and product as ordered. In 3 attemps, TeknToys has yet to meet any of the above.
As I mentioned, I think this site is excellent. I visit multiple times, daily. When TeknToys was mentioned as an affiliate, I immediately became a shopper, based on the recommendation. Needless to say, I've been disappointed. Once, OK. Twice, hmm, a pattern? Three times...enough.
Personally, I'm done, but I think other readers should know what' they're getting and you, as the editor, should know how your affiliate is representing you as an advocate.

pgb5,

Here you have shared actual experiences that people can then use to base a decision on. This is effective. If someone really wants to get a point across why not do it like this........So, why all the previous BS. All the remarks a few have made, like starting a company callerd Take N' Go, all the exaggerated crap just serves to hide the real true.

I have no problem believing what you have said. I have talked to Todd many times as of late as a customer and as moderator of a forum trying to find the truth in it all. I think they made several very dumb and perhaps amateur mistakes. Some of them avoidable. Based on statements like to one above people can make an informed decision to either continue to do business with them or not. Many will choose not to. Good for them. Others will choose to continue to do business with them. After talking to Todd I personally feel they deserve a second chance. Hopefully they will come through in a positive way. Time will tell.

Anyone who has read even a few of Jason's posts know he is a pretty straight shooter. He has built a great site and a lot of that has been based on what he feels the majority of the membership here wants. I don't think he has a lot to gain in continuing a relationship with anyone who's standards are anything less then what he has set for this site. Given that, give the guy a chance and let him make his own decision about this issue. As an affiliate he is a lot closer to the issue than most and probably has a better overall picture of the issue then most, and can make an informed decision. If you want to help him, tell him the truth. Don't just throw out a bunch of unsubstantiated accuasions!

Dave

Pat Logsdon
03-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Absolutely no vendor is "trouble free", and it's naïve to expect that EVERY customer will be 100% happy with EVERY transaction. I've been very public about my support for Tek 'n Toys because I believe them to be honest retailers. Until I'm presented with proof, I'm not willing to believe hearsay.
For what it's worth, I agree. Keep human nature in mind as well - generally speaking, people are better at complaining than praising. :wink:

GoldKey
03-04-2004, 06:16 PM
In my experience, I have seldom encountered online or bricks 'n mortar retailers that provide these type of updates. Typically, you place your order and they email you when it has shipped. I don't think that I have ever been emailed about delays in availability come to think of it and I am a very frequent online shopper.

Although it is rare for them to have a delay in my experience, Amazon does send an e-mail if there is ever a delay beyond the original timeframe listed in the order.

I think his beef is that after the delay occurs and is evident to the customer, it is still taking multiple e-mail requests for him to get any response. And being charged upfront for an item that is not available to ship.

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Although it is rare for them to have a delay in my experience, Amazon does send an e-mail if there is ever a delay beyond the original timeframe listed in the order.

Good point. However, not all online retailers have the same operating capital that Amazon does. Amazon is a huge and very well funded company. To expect that a much smaller online retailer would have all of the same resources and capabilities is unrealistic. If that were the case - everybody and their dog would be selling stuff online. And to set Amazon as the gold standard - 'anything less should not be allowed to sell stuff online' is also unrealistic.

I think his beef is that after the delay occurs and is evident to the customer, it is still taking multiple e-mail requests for him to get any response. And being charged upfront for an item that is not available to ship.

How could a delay not be evident to the customer? Especially when everyone expects instant delivery these days? I just think it's unrealistic. As far as the multiple emails with no reponse goes - in theory, I agree that this is unacceptable. In reality, I think that an update should be provided in response to an inquiry provided that there is updated information to provide. To proactively track down and provide availability updates on multiple orders from multiple customers would increase their cost of operation considerably. This gets back to my earlier point - not everone has the money and resources of an Amazon.

And finally, with regards to charging upfront... this is less than ideal. I can see both sides of the fence on this one. The customer's side is self evident - but T&T's side may not be to some people. T&T has likely been burned themselves by people ordering items and then cancelleing them leaving T&T holding the bag with an item that they may or may not sell quickly. Each time this occurs, their inventory increases. If they are not able to turn over the inventory quickly enough - they are dead. Once again, not to sound like a parrot, this gets back to my earlier point - not everone has the money and resources of an Amazon.

Sparkomatic
03-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I absolutely love this website and it's usually the first thing I check out everyday to see what's new. On 2/17, I ordered some accessories for my i-mate since I can't buy them in the US :( I have been rather disappointed having not received them yet but I have received a couple of e-mails explaining some problems they are having with their shipments. I think we do expect instant delivery these days.

The only thing that seemed to tweak my nerve a little was that, according to their e-mails, they did not have these items in stock when I placed my order. They were anticipating delivery of them. When I placed the order, the webiste said the items were in stock. Rather than saying 'in stock', I think they should have said backordered or given an expected delivery date. Just a little quirk because I was expecting immediate delivery of the items based on what the website said.

It might seem like a silly thing to most, but honestly, I would probably not order from them again based on this experience.

werb
03-04-2004, 07:20 PM

So you are disappointed that we gave you accurate information before processing your transacting? I personally called the distribution center to find out before telling you that they were in stock and now this is what I get for being honest? I ask you did we take your order and then told you it wasn’t in stock or we told you before you placed the order? What did we do wrong? To all the readers please look at this;

Typical. I don't understand how you stay in business.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 1:22 PM
To: P
Subject: RE: Smartphone 2
It’s a good thing I checked with distribution! It looks like we are short one device. Our stock will not be shipping until Monday. I’m sorry about the miscommunication.

Todd

Sales Team - Tek 'n Toys Inc.
[email protected]
www.tekntoys.com
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 11:06 AM
To: Sales

If I purchase today, will it ship today?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:59 PM
To:
P,

Yes, we only have one left until our shipment arrives tomorrow. Then we will have 26 units available to ship out.

Todd

Sales Team - Tek 'n Toys Inc.
[email protected]
www.tekntoys.com
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 10:01 AM
To: Sales
Subject: Smartphone 2

Hello.
Is the I-Mate Smartphone 2 in stock?
Thank you.
P
o:
c:

This is now nothing to do with TNT but me and pgb5 one on one. Buddy we have come a long way in the last little while due to the situations we have had in the past. Your original order was for a device that was held up in manufacturing and now shipping, second was for accessories that are not shipping, third I personally tell you the truth and you come on here to vent? Like I said in my PM to you I would have offered you a 5% promo but you were so rude in your email to us that I had second thoughts. Three strikes? We have had customers that have placed six (6) orders in the last two months and are very happy with our level of service. I’m sure that they would have stopped at one or two if we are as bad as you say here.

And as for privacy there has been no personal names or information leaked here. In Canada, as long as one side has knowledge that this is happening and no personal info is given publicly I have not broken the law.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2004, 07:32 PM
It might seem like a silly thing to most, but honestly, I would probably not order from them again based on this experience.

No, it's not a silly thing at all - a retailer's Web site should not indicate they have an item in stock unless they really do. Hopefully this is something that Tek 'n Toys can improve on in the future (they tell me they have a Web site modification in beta that will address this).

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Todd - I understand your frustration. But don't lower yourself to this guys level. Some people would complain to God himself that heaven is too cold and that the clouds are not fluffy enough. pgb5 seems hell bent on complaining and getting into a pissing contest. Don't fall for it.

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 07:38 PM

No, it's not a silly thing at all - a retailer's Web site should not indicate they have an item in stock unless they really do. Hopefully this is something that Tek 'n Toys can improve on in the future (they tell me they have a Web site modification in beta that will address this).

Uh - guys... am I missing something? I've looked and looked at the T&T website and cannot find any indication on any product about whether it's in stock or not. Thus there was no misleading information.

GoldKey
03-04-2004, 08:26 PM

Good point. However, not all online retailers have the same operating capital that Amazon does. Amazon is a huge and very well funded company. To expect that a much smaller online retailer would have all of the same resources and capabilities is unrealistic. If that were the case - everybody and their dog would be selling stuff online. And to set Amazon as the gold standard - 'anything less should not be allowed to sell stuff online' is also unrealistic.

Not trying to argue that, just pointing to an e-tailer that does provide that information based on your previous post.

How could a delay not be evident to the customer? Especially when everyone expects instant delivery these days? I just think it's unrealistic. As far as the multiple emails with no reponse goes - in theory, I agree that this is unacceptable. In reality, I think that an update should be provided in response to an inquiry provided that there is updated information to provide. To proactively track down and provide availability updates on multiple orders from multiple customers would increase their cost of operation considerably. This gets back to my earlier point - not everone has the money and resources of an Amazon.

And finally, with regards to charging upfront... this is less than ideal. I can see both sides of the fence on this one. The customer's side is self evident - but T&T's side may not be to some people. T&T has likely been burned themselves by people ordering items and then cancelleing them leaving T&T holding the bag with an item that they may or may not sell quickly. Each time this occurs, their inventory increases. If they are not able to turn over the inventory quickly enough - they are dead. Once again, not to sound like a parrot, this gets back to my earlier point - not everone has the money and resources of an Amazon.

Again, I was just trying to clarify his point. I do think all inquiries should be responded to regardless of if there is updated information or not. I agree Amazon is probably the gold standard. But regardless of the size of the business, I think if a customer is told something is in stock and ready to ship, they should be notified if that is no longer the case. That is just good business. As werb's post indicates, it appears he was notified of the delay. If it was a problem he should have cancelled his order, otherwise he should not be complaining. Regarding charging up front, if their order process is clear that this is what happens, I don't think there is any problem with it.

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Werb says:
I would have offered you a 5% promo but you were so rude in your email to us that I had second thoughts.

Oh lordy. Here we go again.

Another example of Tek-N-Toys excellent customer relations skills. Way to encourage repeat business, Dude!

What would you have them do? Give the product away for free for all of his troubles? Get real! Besides, as Werb's email clearly shows, he was notified about the delay. So why is he complaining? And for that matter - why are you? Instead of complaining just to be heard - get specific. If your not gonna get specific then we'll all have to assume that there no real meat to your complaint.

Mitch D
03-04-2004, 09:07 PM
:treadmill:

We can keep going around on this topic a million times. Tek n Toys is just like any retailer and like any other retailer stock is an issue. By this I mean "lack of" and these things are beyond control of the company more often than not. How do I know this? Well I work for a major western canadian electronics retailer and even we have problems with stock issues. Alot of them can be traced to the manufacture not being able to deliver on promises made.

I am not saying that we arn't to blame sometimes cause we are,but what I can see from Todd's comment here is he went out of his way to check on inventory that is stored ina location other than his sales office only to find that he was mistaken on stock levels. Trust me it's not unheard of to say "yes" i have one only to find out a minute later that one of the ofther staff has sold it. Todd did the honourable thing and contacted the individual back and let him/her know what had happened. Alot of companies wouldn't do that and nor would they apologise for selling stock that had no hold on it.

I don't agree with the two sides in this taking it public (sorry about that T). The buyer acted inbad faith by coming here to complain and the seller should have stayed kept this in a PM situation, although I understand the need to defend one's business.

As for attacking Jason for refering to Tek n Toys in a post, well that is his right. No one has brought any solid proof that they where ripped off by TnT, in fact I know of a few cases where TnT has done full refunds on items that are special orders even though thier policy (as listed on there site) indicated that there is a "restocking fee".

IMHO if you have a problem with a e-tialer/retailer, take it up with them first. You don't get anywhere slamming them in public.

:soapbox:

BuddhaBravo
03-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Zipper says:

Instead of complaining just to be heard - get specific.

You want specific? Happy to oblige. I'd encourage anyone contemplating doing business with Tek-N-Toys to read this thread as well.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39242

-BB

JessicaBrillian
03-04-2004, 09:11 PM
8O ,

I have to give it up to you guys for being mature and despite standing up in your own ways, it's remained civil.

Glad to be a member of this forum - Jessica

Mitch D
03-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Zipper says:

You want specific? Happy to oblige. I'd encourage anyone contemplating doing business with Tek-N-Toys to read this thread as well.

-BB

BB, this link flowed over into PPCT awhile back, try not to base you opinion of a company on the rantings of one or two people. Keep in mind that there is always three sides to a story... "Thiers, Ours & The Truth"

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Zipper says:

-BB

All that these specifics prove is that you have been and continue to be unreasonable. You clearly bear a grudge against T&T (that's your right). But it's equally clear that your hell bent on mud slinging them to death - despite Todd's sincere attempt to compensate you (yeah, I saw that too) and makes things right. Your obviously determined to ignore the positive and accetuate the negative.

Mitch D
03-05-2004, 02:53 AM
8O ,

I have to give it up to you guys for being mature and despite standing up in your own ways, it's remained civil.

Glad to be a member of this forum - Jessica

:wink:

ctmagnus
03-05-2004, 05:21 AM
A longish post

I concur entirely. Afaict, Todd has been on the wrong end of a few bad deals (shipping companies, CC companies) and as such he is suffering as a result of the decision to work with those companies. And a few individuals reporting repeatedly that "they've been screwed by Tek n Toys" isn't going to help him one bit, especially considering that he's just starting out in the business.

dh
03-05-2004, 05:27 AM
From a personal point of view. my one experience with this company was not a success and I find them to be uncompetitive on most items. Rather than rant and rave I simply don't buy from there. If I wanted to buy something and Price Grabber showed Tek n Toys as being the best pnce I'd give them a try again.

Having said that, Tek n Toys seem to want to specialise in high end, hard to find items. Probably a good strategy. I know first hand how crappy the margins are on commodity hardware.

It seems odd that the original poster insisted on ordering stuff from a vendor who was not performing for him. If you don't like it just shop somewhere else.

JustinGTP
03-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Hehe,

It seems as though my "longish post" was deleted. If that was bad, I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been deleted yet.

Edit: Aha! I see that it was moved to HOFS!

-Justin.

Oliver Mitchell
03-06-2004, 01:00 AM
all i can see from reading this is one side vs another, neither will win, but i do have one point if you had trouble the first time why order from them a further two times? it seems like lunacy to me

Ben Stark
03-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Strange, they edit out posts but leave the private e-mails posted by T&T. :roll:

Hopefully someday T&T will respect privacy. :cry:

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Strange, they edit out posts but leave the private e-mails posted by T&T. :roll:

First of all, the emails were from Tek-N-Toys, to a customer. Second, they really didn't say anything.

By the way tsb_hcy, I was willing to ignore the fact that you came back here. But it appears as if the only reason you are here is to stir up a little trouble. :roll:

Steve

Mitch D
03-06-2004, 01:50 AM

Those emails where moved too the hof&s along wth a few other emails. Nothing has been edited out.

Jason Dunn
03-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Strange, they edit out posts but leave the private e-mails posted by T&T. :roll: Hopefully someday T&T will respect privacy. :cry:

I don't know about that...I think the emails showed quite clearly that pgb5 was being quite rude, and Todd was being nothing but polite. He found an inventory error and emailed a potential customer to inform him - that's being responsive. The response that pgb5 gave was rude and uncalled for. Regarding privacy, there's nothing in those emails that would be considered private, and given the difference between the two stories we heard, I'd rather see the truth with my own eyes. The email address was edited out, so no private information was shared.

It would be better if BOTH parties would simply conduct their business in private, but people keep wanting to drag their problems out into the public forums... :( How many times do we have to keep beating this dead horse? :?

Dave Potter
03-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Strange, they edit out posts but leave the private e-mails posted by T&T. :roll: Hopefully someday T&T will respect privacy. :cry:

I don't know about that...I think the emails showed quite clearly that pgb5 was being quite rude, and Todd was being nothing but polite. He found an inventory error and emailed a potential customer to inform him - that's being responsive. The response that pgb5 gave was rude and uncalled for. Regarding privacy, there's nothing in those emails that would be considered private, and given the difference between the two stories we heard, I'd rather see the truth with my own eyes. The email address was edited out, so no private information was shared.

It would be better if BOTH parties would simply conduct their business in private, but people keep wanting to drag their problems out into the public forums... :( How many times do we have to keep beating this dead horse? :?

Yes - I agree. The horse is dead and stiff. Let's bury the sucker for good.

ale2999
03-06-2004, 08:30 PM
AFAIK Tekntoys is a good company. TOdd is a decent man, and all this is because people are impatient. if you havent noticed, there is not many stores that offer tech stuff as soon as it is out, but Tekntoys does. and I am pretty sure that they havent robbed any1. SO just be patient next time!

jkendrick
03-07-2004, 06:18 AM
I've never shopped at T&T so I won't comment about this argument. But, I would offer this piece of advice to all online retailers: don't show items to be in stock just because you believe they soon will be. The "in stock" statement should really mean that.

And most importantly, NEVER charge a customer's credit card until shipping. Charging the customer up front for items you haven't received yet is just not right.

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 05:00 AM
But, I would offer this piece of advice to all online retailers: don't show items to be in stock just because you believe they soon will be. The "in stock" statement should really mean that.

No arguments from me there - I agree completely. I spoke with Todd about this and they're making some changes on their site to remove the possibility of it happening again. Like so many things in life, you don't always realize there's a problem until someone finds it. ;-)

And most importantly, NEVER charge a customer's credit card until shipping. Charging the customer up front for items you haven't received yet is just not right.

I'd amend this in one way: charging a customer's credit card without their knowledge is the bad part. I've had to pre-pay for special order items before, and I'd get charged either the full amount of a deposit before the item could even be ordered. But I knew that was going to happen, so there's no surprise. As long as the vendor, any vendor, is up-front about the credit cards being charged and the customer is 100% aware of that, there should be no issues. That didn't happen, of course, with the iMate debacle, but I'm confident that Tek 'n Toys has learned from their mistakes and corrected the mistake that caused the problem in the first place.