View Full Version : iPaq Audio Improvements

Chucky
03-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I currently own an iPaq 3870 and am looking to upgrade to a 4150.

The audio output in the 3800 is quite acceptable for earphones, in fact as far as my ears are concerned theres not too much difference between the iPaq and my Sony discman. However when I was looking for some new headphones I quickly realised just how badly the iPaq performed when driving a more powerful headphone.

What I am wondering is has there been any significant improvement to the iPaq audio system between the 3800 series and the 4150?

Even if you have never owned a 3800 I would still appreciate responses from those that use there iPaq with what would generally be called high powered headphones. These are the type of headphones I am thinking of: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_portables_05207

You don't need to be an audiophile to notice the lack of quality from the 3800 when set to the higher volume levels required for acceptable listening (for comparison my earphones are usually set mid way between the first and second volume setting, the headphones I tested needed the be set at about the second highest setting for similar volume).

manywhere
03-04-2004, 11:51 AM
The audio output in the 3800 is quite acceptable for earphones, in fact as far as my ears are concerned theres not too much difference between the iPaq and my Sony discman. However when I was looking for some new headphones I quickly realised just how badly the iPaq performed when driving a more powerful headphone.

What I am wondering is has there been any significant improvement to the iPaq audio system between the 3800 series and the 4150?
You can have a look at this review:
http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=123

Even if you have never owned a 3800 I would still appreciate responses from those that use there iPaq with what would generally be called high powered headphones. These are the type of headphones I am thinking of: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_portables_05207
I have no experience of those headphones, but let me know too! ;)

You don't need to be an audiophile to notice the lack of quality from the 3800 when set to the higher volume levels required for acceptable listening (for comparison my earphones are usually set mid way between the first and second volume setting, the headphones I tested needed the be set at about the second highest setting for similar volume).

Oh yeah, I've noticed that on my iPaq 3870 too! (The ear-damaging-way 8O ). I think I've read somewhere (not neccessarily in the above mentioned review) that the 4100 is slightly kinder on the ears... :)

Trimac20
03-04-2004, 12:48 PM
I've never used a 3800 (my current 4350 is my first pocket pc/handheld)
but I know the 4350s audio output is damn well good enough for me. In fact I'd rate it higher than a Discman: about as good or slightly better than a high quality MP3 player (due to more complex tools). Even at high volumes sound is reasonably clear. By the way you can convert your MP3s to low-bandwitch WMAs less than half the size and it won't really detract from the quality.

Chucky
03-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks for that, looking at the PDAgold.com review was quite helpful and I am guessing by the amount that has been added to the audio control panel since the 3800 they must have made significant changes to the hardware.

Oh and Trimac, I currently used OGG - about the same file size as WMA, similar quality, personal choice I guess :)

cftarnas
03-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Most 'audiophiles' think that the output of most portable audio devices is weak and get a separate headphone amplifier. Seems a bit overkill for a walk but I could see where it could be handy on a plane where an extra relatively small box would not be that inconvenient. HeadPhone.com (http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=1) sells them (no affiliation, just head good things about them in my audiophile days).

-chris

Chucky
03-05-2004, 07:36 AM
That site is insane, would anybody really spend over $3000 on a headphone amplifier?!?! I wouldn't even spend the $170 on the cheapest amplifier on there (esp when you consider the headphones themselves are almost half that price!) - but thanks anyway, real eye opener ;)

cftarnas
03-05-2004, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't even spend the $170 on the cheapest amplifier on there (esp when you consider the headphones themselves are almost half that price!) - but thanks anyway, real eye opener ;)

The usual audiophile rule of thumb is to spend the same on the source, amplification and speakers. I have been interested in their Sennheiser noise cancelling ones, about $140, but generally (and not just by headphone.com, ask in pretty much any audiophile forum) the Grado SR60 is regarded as the best headphones for a portable with out amplification at $69.

-chris

Chucky
03-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Ah well I shall look into the Grado SR60.

Also, one thing that I have always wondered about is whether good headphones are worth it when you are listening to compressed audio? Most songs that I have ripped myself are in the OGG format at (from memory, havent done it in a while) quality 3 - the manual says that quality 3 is roughly equal to an MP3 at 192kbs. I guess at 192kbs there is very little difference to the CD, however say I download (of course legally ;)) a 128kbs MP3 will it still be worth listening to it on a $70 headphones as opposed to say a $30 headphones?

cftarnas
03-06-2004, 02:38 AM
Ah well I shall look into the Grado SR60.

Also, one thing that I have always wondered about is whether good headphones are worth it when you are listening to compressed audio? Most songs that I have ripped myself are in the OGG format at (from memory, havent done it in a while) quality 3 - the manual says that quality 3 is roughly equal to an MP3 at 192kbs. I guess at 192kbs there is very little difference to the CD, however say I download (of course legally ;)) a 128kbs MP3 will it still be worth listening to it on a $70 headphones as opposed to say a $30 headphones?

I think it would, the improved dynamic range and better frequency response will be noticed, especially at 192bps. I notice that even 128bps sounds better on good equipment, but you do notice the encoding artifacts much more. One last note, if you have a bit of environmental noise check out some 'closed ear' headphones (Sennheiser has some at the same price point).

-chris