View Full Version : New Ipaq user - help getting connected to the internet

Hokey333
03-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi all

Bit of a newbie to all this mobile handholding stuff so looking for assistance.

I have an ipaq 5450 running windows 2003. What do I need to get connected to the internet? Do I need a bluetooth mobile? Is there a modem built into the 5450? If I want to connect to the internet whilst on the move whats the best kit to have? How do I set it up? My desktop is running broadband - does this mean I wont be able to access my mail account when the ppc is away from the cradle? Can i configure a dialup account on the ppc to access my btinternet account?

And lastly why dont they create a program for putting a scrollbar on the left of the screen to assist lefties like me!

Of course I have loads more q's but these are the most pressing for me right now - oh yeah, should I just connect through wlan and if so how do I do that?

Cheers

Paul

c38b2
03-03-2004, 11:20 PM
A Bluetooth cell phone will allow you to connect to the internet wherever you want. I suggest finding potential hotspots where you are going - you can just use wifi to connect there. If you're talking about around your house you can just get a wireless router.

Trimac20
03-04-2004, 06:59 AM
I too am relatively new to PPC and wireless technology (a month ago I had no idea what 'Wi-Fi' was. Anyway, before using internet via bluetooth I have to warn you: don't expect anything remotely similar to Broadband or even a slow dial-up. There are of, course, many problems using a mobile phone (bluetooth modem) as a phone..

If you are connecting to the internet using a call from your phone communicating with your PPC with your mobile you'd better have a fat wallet. Call rates are the SAME AS FOR MOBILE RATES. Ie. if it costs you 80 cents a minute for calls it will cost you the same to surf the net. I once used up $30 on my phone credit for a mere 15 minutes or so of actual connection time. Some networks offer you the ability to use GPRS or dial-up services. Apart from being extremely slow and unreliable, they aren't a great deal cheaper than using a Bluetooth modem.

Ideally, Wi-Fi is the best way to go. You are priveledged if you already have broadband: simply set up a router and you can use your lightning-fast Broadband connection on your pocket pc! The range can be as great as 30 minutes. As for using it away for home (as I assume is your main purpose), you must be close to Wi-Fi hotspots but usually they offer fast, stable connections. Ensure, of course your model has built in Wi-Fi or purchase a seperate card.
If your model uses Compact Flash (CF) you can buy a CF dial-up modem but since I have no experience using them cannot really comment on them. But if you're willing to spend about $200 on a Wi-Fi hub/router than thats the way to go.