View Full Version : PI 5.0.1 - Heirarchical tasks in category view?

binstpa
03-03-2004, 04:58 PM
I was thinking about upgrading from 4.6.2 to the newest version of PI but I want to now if it has one feature that I am dying to have. In category view of tasks - can it do heirarchical tasks within each category. I don't want to get a program like listpro for my tasks but PI is limiting me.

I have a number of classes in school and I like to have all of my assignments and projects uunder the category of each class. However, I would like to break down my homework/projects into sub-tasks using parents and children. Is this possible.

An example if I am not clear

Civil Procedure [this is a category]
[parent 1] - Read pages 921-938
[parent 2] - Study Fed.R.Civ.Pro. 5
[parent 3] - Begin outline for finals
[child of parent 3] - copy all reading asignments into new document
[child of above child] - look at all assinged page readings with inputed notes
[child of parent 3] - cross check all supplement reading with TOC of text
[child of parent 3] - use commercial outlines to build skeleton outline
[child of parent 3] - Review implications of JAMOL and need to move twice

Hopefully PI can do this - if it can I will upgrade in a second - if not am I relegated to using ListPro?

Pat Logsdon
03-03-2004, 05:13 PM
You're in luck! PI 5 supports that. I find that I don't need to use it, however - I just create each of my parent tasks as a category:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/vaja/capture.jpg

Here's the screen where you can turn on hierarchical tasks:

http://www.mybunny.org/images/vaja/capture_hier.jpg

:mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 05:21 PM
But it's grayed out there. :| I thought you can have HT or categorizations, but not both...

--janak

Jeff Rutledge
03-03-2004, 05:25 PM
That's true. You can either view your Tasks grouped by Categories (or Date or Progress, etc.), OR you can view Hierarchal Tasks.

Pat Logsdon
03-03-2004, 06:14 PM
But it's grayed out there. :| I thought you can have HT or categorizations, but not both...
Very true. I used to use HT, but stopped when I figured out how to use the categories. I just forgot to uncheck HT before I turned on categories.

:mrgreen: