View Full Version : Newbie! and PPC Wakeup question :)

Davey
03-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi guys, i've just been reading an old thread about the PocketPC 2003 alarm bug and im just wondering if this bug might be why I am having problems waking up a device..

I write mobile software (on PocketPC) for the logistix industry, currently to save battery power in the field I allow the devices to go into standby mode and when new work arrives for the driver/engineer I use the windows API call that schedules an application to run say 5 seconds in the future and on PocketPC 2002 this successfully wakes the device up..

BUT with PPC2003 it will not wake up the device :( Ive tried installing the alarm tweek but to no avail..

Does anyone know of a work around to wake up a PPC2003 device?

Thanks in advance for any info or tips!!

wsegard
03-17-2004, 04:09 AM
Sorry I can't help you with this question. I am having trouble getting my Toshiba e755 PocketPC to wake up for any alarms that go past 12:00am. I am told this is a PPC 2003 software problem. I am new to these forums and you mentioned that you installed the alarm tweek. Where can I get this tweek to try? Thanks and good luck.

ChrisClarke
04-07-2004, 12:59 PM
hi,
that sounds interesting.. are you checking some server over GPRS or such like? then notifying the user?

did you every get the wakeup to work?

you application sounds similar to one i'm working on.. do you have todo any signature capture?

rgds
chris

Davey
04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Still no luck wakeing the device up :( currently talking to a guy who works in PPC dev at MS...

Yes were talking to our own server over GPRS using a custom protocol with push, it also encorperates signature and barcode capture :)

ChrisClarke
04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
ah..
interesting..

what method do u use to capture the signature and have you done any research into how legaly binding the signature is? we are just starting a field trial with some software i've written that has SQL server CE running on the pda and syncronises using webservices..

at the moment i just store co-ordinates of the lines that make up the signature.. fairly basic..

we've looked at barcoding for another program we are going to write for stock checking.. had one of the rugged intermec pdas to play with for a while which was nice.. but normaly just use our hp ipaq with wireless lan..

rgds
chris

Davey
04-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Well the software we have written here is a commercial product, we provide hand-held sollutions to various logistics customers..

As for signature capture we use a similar vector based signature capture.

ChrisClarke
04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
our product is specificaly for hire companies for deliverys and collections..

is your signature capture control one you've written or a third party..

just interested to know if the companies like ups/fedex...etc that use signature capture, if the signatures are legaly binding and could be used in court.. its a question that the company we are doing the work for has asked.. not much info on this on the net :-(

rgds
chris

Davey
04-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Our signature capture control has been written in house.

We currently provide several versions: Same Day, Pallet, Private Hire, Overnight.. I dont mean to sound intruding but were happy to partner with companies and if you guys wanted to take a look at our product we'd be happy to organise a demonstration - we are in High Wycombe so only 5 mins from you. Our mobile product is actually stand alone so can integrate with any office based system - all you would need is an internet connection with a fixed IP (broadband for example) and a machine to host the server application.

As for the legality of signature capture, i understand the law states digital images are not admisable in court unless it has been verified by a third party that it has not been tampered with.

ChrisClarke
04-07-2004, 02:19 PM
hi,
interesting.. our product is specificaly aimed at the hire market and therefore has specific hire functionality..

however it may be interesting to have a chat with you guys..

do you want to private message me your details and i'll send you mine..

i guess we could sign the signature data as soon as its captured on the pda and then when one of our customers (that uses our system) wants to take one of their customers to court we (as a third party) could verify it by checking the data..

cheers for the info..

rgds
chris

Davey
04-07-2004, 02:22 PM
P.M. on its way..