View Full Version : Actice Sync backup v. sprite

binstpa
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
I just stumpled onto the fact that activesync has a backup/restore function. So, when I backup using active sync does that mean that after a hard reset all my info can be restored by using the restore button?

Also, if this is so, why then, would I spend money to get the sprite backupplus software. I was planning on doing this, but now am not so sure.

Steven Cedrone
03-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I just stumpled onto the fact that activesync has a backup/restore function. So, when I backup using active sync does that mean that after a hard reset all my info can be restored by using the restore button?

Also, if this is so, why then, would I spend money to get the sprite backupplus software. I was planning on doing this, but now am not so sure.

Use the ActiveSync restore once and you'll know why you would rather use Sprite! Activesync restore can fail for the most maddening reasons (timezone, region, etc). I find Sprite to just "work", no problems in the countless resores I have used it for...

Also, the Activesync Backup/Restore is slow! Sprite is lightening fast!

One other thing: You can keep a copy of your Sprite backup with you in case you need it (self executing backup on a card). You can't do that with ActiveSync Backup!

Steve

Raynne
03-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Active Sync is ALOT slower than Sprite Backup, and like Steve said, it fails all too often. Sprite is very reliable, quick, and you can schedule your backups.

If you get Sprite Backup Premium Edition, you can also backup your storage cards, which can't do through Active Sync (other than the copy and paste method).

I use Sprite Backup to create self-extracting backup files to my CF card (that way I will not have to sync with my computer if there is a hard reset) and I use the encrypt option and the compress option. The compress option drops me from a 22 MB backup file to a 10 MB. Then I use the PC backup (to save my storage cards) around one or twice a month.

binstpa
03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't mind the time because I just back up at the end of the day when I am going to bed.

Couldn't you copy the file that it backed up onto the storage card.

Can you install the backed up file on the device without using the restore option?

Is it possible to copy all of your installed files that are on the storage card to the desktop and then if you format your SD card - paste them back and have them all work again?

Raynne
03-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I believe you can copy and carry the backup with you, but you can't restore without syncing to you main computer, since it is the Active Sync restore.

You can copy and paste your Storage card folders over. I have done it quite a few times when I moved to a larger memory card.