View Full Version : just a random thought...

rzanology
03-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I was sitting on the train this morning playing solitaire and listening to my music, when I thought to my self...I LOVE MY IPAQ!!! I can say that now only because it runs smooth. I remember a few months ago before HP finally put out the rom update (after denying to the grave that there were no problems with the 2215).
Well...after thinking about that...something else popped into my head. We all love our ipaqs, and most of the people I know have ipaqs. But lets be serious, sometimes HP is a little immature about their problems. The only device they've really pampered is the 5400 and 5500 series. These traits kind of remind me of a veeery famous company so has tendencies to do the same thing. MICROSOFT!!!!
If you look at it...according to that post I saw a while back on the main page, HP owned well over 98% of the market. Everyone has one. And they are slow as hell to get problems fixed. My questions is....Is HP the Microsoft of the PPC industry?
I know I can speak for myself when I say I will not buy any other ppc than an ipaq. Every summer I find myself waiting for the ups man to get my new ipaq. No matter what new innovations the industry or competitions comes out with, I always seem to count on the next ipaq. Any one else like that? What do you guys think....

Palmguy
03-02-2004, 08:24 PM
My only non-iPAQ PPC has been the e805, and as soon as hp gets on board with VGA, I'm there!!!

Ripper014
03-02-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a Hp for now... but I change with what suits me best... I am not loyal to any specific branding... that is something that businesses count on and spend a lot of money developing... in our world of sheep... all heading to slaughter...

If I was to purchase a PPC today I would be leaning towards a Toshiba... the E-805... However in saying all of this... "IF" Casio was still producing PPC's they would be the first 'BRAND" I would look at, and if all things were equal it would be the unit I would purchase... "WHY...?" Well because of the detail they put into their products... at the time I thought the E-125 and Em-500 were the best units on the market... their detail to the little thing impressed me... including the button layouts... to locking mechanisms for storage cards... to covers that can go back over a filled slot... all small things, but things that were not overlooked... Attention to detail... it makes me think that some care and attention was given to each and item that made up a PPC... So if all things were even... I would choose Casio first...

But since they no longer make PPC's the lesser of evils would be Hp... however Toshiba... seems to be the leader in creating new technology... and would always be what I compared everything else too...

Now we should ask ourselves... just who is coping who's advances these days...? Seems to me that Toshiba is on the cutting edge... and Hp is following behind...

c38b2
03-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Yes, Toshiba is the true innovator. I had a Toshiba (e310) before I went back to Palm. First off, Toshiba had the first affordable PPC (e310 debuted at $400), first thin PPC (e310 was 0.5" thin), first with dual slots (e740), first with built-in WiFi (e740), first VGA res PPC (e800), first 4" screened (Genio), first with swappable battery (e740).... HP just copies with a few exceptions (biometric, bluetooth)

Janak Parekh
03-02-2004, 11:08 PM
HP just copies with a few exceptions (biometric, bluetooth)
Not exactly.

- First Pocket PC with StrongARM
- First Pocket PCs with reflective color displays (did it even during the PSPC days)
- First Pocket PCs with expandable sleeves
- First Pocket PCs with WiFi and Bluetooth both built-in
- First Pocket PCs to be the Palm V formfactor

I think credit is deserved for various OEMs for pushing the envelope. :) Mind you, I think the e805 is great -- I own one now -- but HP has done a nice job too. 8)

--janak

c38b2
03-02-2004, 11:35 PM
- First Pocket PC with StrongARM
- First Pocket PCs with reflective color displays (did it even during the PSPC days)
- First Pocket PCs with expandable sleeves
- First Pocket PCs with WiFi and Bluetooth both built-in
- First Pocket PCs to be the Palm V formfactor
-Compaq, actually
-Again, Compaq
-And last. :lol:
-I'll give that one to you :)
-Which one? The 1910? The e310 (.5" thick) came out first. :wink:

senfeng
03-02-2004, 11:41 PM
My First PPC was the iPaq 3865. I thought it was a great PDA, but when I went looking for a new PDA last year, I found that best PDA for the buck (at the time) was the Toshiba e755. It was just FAST and sleek, but not sexy the way that the iPaqs were. I eventually traded it for another iPaq (2215) because of the design. It was VERY small and fit in my pocket comfortably, but noticably slower especially during start up. Internal apps were a joke (NEVO?), but I still like the littly sucker because of its design and minature size.

I think that this is where iPaqs are king. They make solid PDAs with an amazing design. I still like the way that the 3865 looked with its shiny plastic flip cover. Currently, I'm using an iPaq 2215 and a Toshiba e805 (awsome VGA, but slower than its predacessor), but really miss the speed of my e755.

Talldog
03-03-2004, 12:43 PM
My only gripe with HP is that they wait too long to put out ROM upgrades. Every new device has bugs, and fixing them should be a priority, once the device gets some real world miles on it.

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 04:19 PM
-Compaq, actually
-Again, Compaq
-And last. :lol:
OK, but Compaq is HP. That team is owned by the same company...

-Which one? The 1910? The e310 (.5" thick) came out first. :wink:
Yes, but the e310 had larger dimensions height and widthwise. The 1910 really opened people's eyes as to how small Pocket PCs had become.

If you're going solely by thickness, believe it or not the Compaq Aero 1550 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004T0RF/002-9991242-8777656?v=glance) was the first Pocket PC to be .5" thick, back in 2000. It was a slow little guy, running a 75MHz MIPS chip and a grayscale screen 8O, but it was there. In fact, I think it had a CF I slot. Sadly, no new small-formfactor Pocket PCs do...

--janak

Kati Compton
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
If you're going solely by thickness, believe it or not the Compaq Aero 1550 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004T0RF/002-9991242-8777656?v=glance) was the first Pocket PC to be .5" thick, back in 2000. It was a slow little guy, running a 75MHz MIPS chip and a grayscale screen 8O, but it was there. In fact, I think it had a CF I slot. Sadly, no new small-formfactor Pocket PCs do...
Well, to me the 22xx series is pretty small. ;) But I suppose if people are looking for REALLY small, it's a different category than the 19xx.

Janak Parekh
03-03-2004, 05:52 PM
In fact, I think it had a CF I slot. Sadly, no new small-formfactor Pocket PCs do...
Well, to me the 22xx series is pretty small. ;) But I suppose if people are looking for REALLY small, it's a different category than the 19xx.
Good point. The 2215 is really not that big. That said, I think the 1550 was the thinnest Pocket PC, ever, with a CF slot...

--janak

rzanology
03-04-2004, 04:53 AM
all i have to say is i love my ipaqs. Every last one of them!!!

Jeff Rutledge
03-04-2004, 04:56 AM
all i have to say is i love my ipaqs. Every last one of them!!!

Same here. I've had a 3650, 3870 and currently have a 2215. I'll be getting a 6350 as soon as they hit the shelves.

senfeng
03-04-2004, 07:30 AM
My only gripe with HP is that they wait too long to put out ROM upgrades. Every new device has bugs, and fixing them should be a priority, once the device gets some real world miles on it.Also doesn't help that the only enhancement listed for the ROM update for the 2210/2215 is added support for the extended battery. I'm still waiting for them to fix the 5-10 second white screen after startup (with password enabled). :wink:

rzanology
03-04-2004, 10:41 PM
hey jr, i can't find any info on the 6300. Do you have any links? will it have both cf and sd? Im not getting off my 2215 unless it has both slots!

Ripper014
03-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Don't forget the VGA screen onboard Video Chip and onboard Audio Chip... I think I will want those items as well... Wifi would be appreciated... as would be 128mb Ram...