View Full Version : How to replace Jornada 568's digitizer?

bbarker
03-02-2004, 12:23 AM
The digitizer on my Jornada 568 has begun to fail. In the lower portion of the screen it's impossible to align properly, so it clicks several millimeters away from where I tap the screen. When I try writing with the Character Recognizer it often returns the wrong character.

I have picked up another 568 that isn't working, but with a digitizer that works. Does anyone know how to replace this component? I haven't ever opened up a Pocket PC and I'll only have one shot at this. I want to do it right.

Thanks!
Bart

dlangton
03-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Personally, I'd send both items to PocketPCtechs, just to make sure it's done correctly. I wouldn't think that it would cost more than $50, and possibly less. You get a discount if you're a subscriber to PPCT.

Steven Cedrone
03-02-2004, 01:30 AM
Post moved to the Retro HP's forum and duplicate post deleted. Please don't cross post!

Thanks,

Steve

bbarker
03-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Post moved to the Retro HP's forum and duplicate post deleted. Please don't cross post!

Thanks,

Steve
The reason I cross posted was because a lot of [b]former[b] Jornada owners who might have this information no longer check that section. Isn't this rare cross posting legitimate? The only one who has responded so far did so in the iPaq forum.

If it can be in only one forum, please move it back to the iPaq forum.

Stephen Beesley
03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
The digitizer on my Jornada 568 has begun to fail. In the lower portion of the screen it's impossible to align properly, so it clicks several millimeters away from where I tap the screen. When I try writing with the Character Recognizer it often returns the wrong character.

I have picked up another 568 that isn't working, but with a digitizer that works. Does anyone know how to replace this component? I haven't ever opened up a Pocket PC and I'll only have one shot at this. I want to do it right.

Thanks!
Bart

This is definately possible I replaced the whole screen on my 568 some time ago and have also seperately replaced the digitiser more recently (okay so I am hard on screens!).

Personally, I'd send both items to PocketPCtechs, just to make sure it's done correctly. I wouldn't think that it would cost more than $50, and possibly less. You get a discount if you're a subscriber to PPCT.

That said, as you are in the US and have the PocketPCtechs option, I think it would definately be worth finding out how much they would charge you. It would certianly be worth $50 or so to avoid the hassle and possibility of further damaging you 568.

bbarker
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I checked with PocketPCtechs. They would do it for $45, and for another $25 clean and seal the screen. That seems reasonable. But I've already spent $40 on the nonworking Jornada and $40 on a Bluetooth card, both to stave off buying a new PPC. Add to that the shipping both ways and I'd be in the range of $150 and I'd still have an old model. I'll have to think about that.

I've been searching Google for detailed instructions on doing the screen replacement. I've found Pocket PC Man (http://www.pocketpcman.com/CDs/hpCD/560series/560.htm) for $6. That would buy me a link I'd receive by email within 48 to 60 hours. For $3 more I'd get a CD by mail. But I don't know anything about Pocket PC Man. Does anyone else?

dlangton
03-03-2004, 07:57 AM
I'd been planning on replacing my Jornada once I found something I liked better. I wound up getting a memory upgrade and a screen rework from PocketPCTechs instead. Couldn't find anything that looked like an improvement over what I already have. BTW, they do excellent work.

Stephen Beesley
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
I checked with PocketPCtechs. They would do it for $45, and for another $25 clean and seal the screen. That seems reasonable. But I've already spent $40 on the nonworking Jornada and $40 on a Bluetooth card, both to stave off buying a new PPC. Add to that the shipping both ways and I'd be in the range of $150 and I'd still have an old model. I'll have to think about that.

I've been searching Google for detailed instructions on doing the screen replacement. I've found Pocket PC Man (http://www.pocketpcman.com/CDs/hpCD/560series/560.htm) for $6. That would buy me a link I'd receive by email within 48 to 60 hours. For $3 more I'd get a CD by mail. But I don't know anything about Pocket PC Man. Does anyone else?

I have been threatening to put pictures and some details about this up somewhere for a while now (months and months even!) If you can wait for a couple of days I still have one Jornada in piecies that I could take some photos of etc. PM me if you think it could be useful

randy80016
03-16-2004, 12:23 PM
I'd also love if you posted pictures of how to do this...

I don't have a replacement digitizer in my hands yet, but I'd find one if I could be sure that I could replace it.

Thanks

bbarker
03-18-2004, 12:13 AM
I finally found instructions at http://pocketpcman.com/CDs/hpCD/560series/560.htm . I printed them out, finally found a T6 Torx driver (hard to find!), and got to work.

The Jornada I picked up for parts was from a friend, who said it just stopped working but before that was working great, including its screen. He suggested I first try taking apart his Jornada and putting it back together, in case it was just a loose screw or something. I did that and it worked perfectly! So I'm now using his repaired model and have my old one for parts.

My friend's Jornada was in much better condition than mine. He always carried it in a case on his belt, while I carried mine in my pants pocket. I dropped mine a few times and it was pretty banged up.

Stephen Beesley
03-19-2004, 01:07 PM
I finally found instructions at http://pocketpcman.com/CDs/hpCD/560series/560.htm . I printed them out, finally found a T6 Torx driver (hard to find!), and got to work.

The Jornada I picked up for parts was from a friend, who said it just stopped working but before that was working great, including its screen. He suggested I first try taking apart his Jornada and putting it back together, in case it was just a loose screw or something. I did that and it worked perfectly! So I'm now using his repaired model and have my old one for parts.

My friend's Jornada was in much better condition than mine. He always carried it in a case on his belt, while I carried mine in my pants pocket. I dropped mine a few times and it was pretty banged up.

Glad to see you found the instructions and very sorry that I did not follow up on my offer to post some of my own :oops: . Damn digital camera let me down and then it sort of got pushed to the back.

As I said - glad things worked out for you.

bbarker
03-19-2004, 08:30 PM
No problem. The guy who posted the instructions I followed was very thorough and clear in both his text and photos. He charged $6 to download them but now I have a practically new Jornada for around $50.