View Full Version : A good website host?

pacemkr
03-01-2004, 10:48 PM
I am in search of a good website host.
My criterias:
1. The cheaper the better
2. I DO NOT require a lot of space (50mb is more than enough)
3. I will need database support (access) with lots of usage. (preffered)

Any suggestions? I currently use the free account on brinkster.com but they started putting banner on their free sites so I am considering paying like $4/month just to remove the banners.

Thanks.

CoreyJF
03-01-2004, 11:24 PM
www.linksky.com It is 4.95 a month for up to 50 megs, 2 free mysql DB's.

Jason Dunn
03-01-2004, 11:46 PM
There are lots of places with great packages, but most offer MySQL database support, not Access - but if $4 a month is all it will take to make you happy with your current host, gosh, pay the $4. ;-)

arnage2
03-01-2004, 11:51 PM
if you get comcast cable internet, they give you webhosting free, with 30-50 mb of space, and the option to use your own site. (that you created)

They host my site

pacemkr
03-01-2004, 11:57 PM
There are lots of places with great packages, but most offer MySQL database support, not Access - but if $4 a month is all it will take to make you happy with your current host, gosh, pay the $4. ;-)

Im not that cheap that I dont want to spend the $4. :lol: The problem is the fact that brinkster seems to limit the amount of database conenctions I can make in a certain time frame.

pacemkr
03-01-2004, 11:58 PM
if you get comcast cable internet, they give you webhosting free, with 30-50 mb of space, and the option to use your own site. (that you created)

They host my site

No comcast in my area. I'm on optimum online with cablevison. I dont think ISP servers even support databases though.

Mizzizzippi
03-02-2004, 02:02 AM
I use Kingshosting.com, pretty good deal at 20 bucks a year. I've been with them for about a year now.

bigkingfun
03-02-2004, 04:28 AM
www.dayanahost.com has plans from as little as $5.99 per year. I don't think they offer Access databases though, just MySQL. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard good things about them.

Zack Mahdavi
03-02-2004, 10:14 PM
I heartily recommend http://www.surpasshosting.com/ and http://www.siteflip.com/ .. They're both excellent and cheap hosts.

Also, visit www.findmyhosting.com for web hosting listings and user reviews. It's my favorite site for searching for web hosting companies.

Jason Dunn
03-02-2004, 10:28 PM
I heartily recommend http://www.surpasshosting.com/

Hmm...that Web site is down. Not a great example... :lol:

That Siteflip one is cheap though - 99 cents a month? Crazy!

Zack Mahdavi
03-03-2004, 01:27 AM
I heartily recommend http://www.surpasshosting.com/

Hmm...that Web site is down. Not a great example... :lol:

Hehe... I guess not. :)

But seriously, their sites are very fast and their service is awesome. They respond to emails extremely quickly, and are generally very receptive to questions. Their findmyhosting.com rating is also quite high (around 92%, I believe) for cheap web hosting companies. One thing they offer that a lot of other sites don't seem to offer is a mobile community for their clients to discuss issues. It's actually quite helpful, as you can get answers quickly.

pacemkr
03-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

And to zkmusa, thank you for the wonderful website. (findmyhosting.com)

siteflip.com is the host I will probably go with. Their feature set is VERY attractive and its the stuff that I'll be actually using.

Right now, I registered my domain with web.com and got a free month of hosting, so I'm gonna stick with them for now. :D But once the month is over, I'll probably switch to something else. Their plans are more expensive and provide less features.

Zack Mahdavi
03-11-2004, 11:59 PM
And to zkmusa, thank you for the wonderful website. (findmyhosting.com)

siteflip.com is the host I will probably go with. Their feature set is VERY attractive and its the stuff that I'll be actually using.

No problem... it's a great site that I refer to several times a month. Regarding siteflip, I've had very good experiences with them. I'm sure you will too!