View Full Version : Matt at MTekk Speculates About the Future of Windows Mobile

Jason Dunn
03-01-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page616.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page616.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Windows Mobile 2003 is pretty damn nice. I think the OS is starting to show some real maturity, in spite of a number of bugs and limitations. However, with the announcement of the Motorola MPx Pocket PC Phone - with its dual-hinge functionality allowing both portrait and landscape mode - and, to a lesser extent, the rumoured availability of the hp iPAQ 6000 series (commonly referred to as the h6300) later this year, I think it's time to start posing a few questions about where Windows Mobile needs to be before these phones are made available..."

fletch
03-02-2004, 02:32 AM
I'm not so convinced.

I think the overriding clue here is that MS's OS roadmap states WM2004 is due to be released June/July and both the Motorola and IPAQ are also due to be released at this time.

These devices also include landscape and/or extended bluetooth which are the main features slated for WM2004.

I'd say that points to these devices being released with WM2004 rather than a WM2003 update.

I also suspect MS has been working on WM2004 for some time (probably in parallel with WM2003), so I think saying that MS would be rushing this platform out is a little presumptuous.

I've personally had the suspicion that infact WM2003 was the 'rushed-out' or interim platform as they decided (back then) to hold back the WM2004 platform to spend more time on enhancements and features - kind of like Windows ME was a bridge to Windows 2000.

Oh well, guess we'll wait and see... :)

rpommier
03-02-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm dissapointed in WM2003 and Pocket PC hardware. While I like my 2210 I still glance at the Tungsten T3 with envy.

- Better screen res
- landscape
- Innovative design
- Snappy performance

If all WM2004 will offer is landscape then big deal. Why can't I get my alarms to work? Will that be in WM2004?

Roderick

fletch
03-02-2004, 02:46 AM
If all WM2004 will offer is landscape then big deal. Why can't I get my alarms to work? Will that be in WM2004?
Roderick

My understanding is that WM2004 is quite a substantial 'user experience' change, so i hope it will offer a lot more than just landscape :)

Actually, that being said, the pics of the MPx do look very much like the WM2002-2003 interface :(

If they don't sort out the alarms there will be riots in the streets of LA me thinks

JonnoB
03-02-2004, 02:59 AM
My understanding is that WM2004 is quite a substantial 'user experience' change, so i hope it will offer a lot more than just landscape :)

Actually, that being said, the pics of the MPx do look very much like the WM2002-2003 interface :([/quote]

I believe that the core OS UI will not change that much. It will be, for the most part, the same type of UI. There will be however, many improvements in the user experience and I believe that most of them will be in the area of wireless integration. The WM2003 interface is not that bad, it just needs to be cleaned up in a few areas. Simplicity, but not at the cost of configuration and flexibility.

If they don't sort out the alarms there will be riots in the streets of LA me thinks

It is my understanding that this has been addressed in WM2003 a while back and is just being tested by the OEM licensees to be included in a EUU update. MS, with the OEM, should be rushing out this fix. It is too long in the making right now. Even if we have to forgo other EUU enhancements.

SassKwatch
03-02-2004, 04:10 AM
I think the overriding clue here is that MS's OS roadmap states WM2004 is due to be released June/July
I asked this the last time 'WM 2004' was mentioned....

Are we *sure* there is such a beast in the making? I.e., it has been officially stated somewhere by MS....or by someone not under NDA who knows someone 'in the know' at MS.(?)

Or is it speculation based on features being introduced in various devices that makes it seem logical there will be a WM 2004?

These devices also include landscape and/or extended bluetooth which are the main features slated for WM2004.
These would certainly *seem* to be the features that would be leading candidates suggesting a WM 2004 release is coming.

Not trying to be contentious....just trying to sort out what exactly is 'known' and what is speculation. For all the logic there might be to the speculation, it is still just that...speculation.

rpommier
03-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Which leads to another question, will current device be flashable? I wonder if the landscape mode is hardware dependent? Nyditot requires a soft-reset, but the MPX seems to do it on the fly...

I'm kinda looking for a reason to jump ship anyway... If I have to buy another device I might just see what Palm has to offer. I'm already seeing new Pocket PC's with no CF slots, which is silly. Why not keep the CF and SD slots? SD memory is just too expensive compared to CF.

I'm rambling, but I just don't see the Pocket PC innovating much... Beyond the e805 where do the vendors really innovate?

EricMCarson
03-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Why not keep the CF and SD slots?
Space. Pure and simple.

huangzhinong
03-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Which leads to another question, will current device be flashable? I wonder if the landscape mode is hardware dependent? Nyditot requires a soft-reset, but the MPX seems to do it on the fly...

I'm kinda looking for a reason to jump ship anyway... If I have to buy another device I might just see what Palm has to offer. I'm already seeing new Pocket PC's with no CF slots, which is silly. Why not keep the CF and SD slots? SD memory is just too expensive compared to CF.

I'm rambling, but I just don't see the Pocket PC innovating much... Beyond the e805 where do the vendors really innovate?

The innocation is on the way.

WM2003 SP1 or WM2004's dynamic landscape doesn't need reset, which is not same as nyditot. It's not hardware dependent either, it's in OS level. As long as the PPC can be flashed(all PPC in market now can be flashed), in theory it can rotate screen on the fly once flashed new OS.

mmarlor
03-02-2004, 05:39 AM
I'm not so convinced.

I think the overriding clue here is that MS's OS roadmap states WM2004 is due to be released June/July and both the Motorola and IPAQ are also due to be released at this time.

I'd say that points to these devices being released with WM2004 rather than a WM2003 update.

I also suspect MS has been working on WM2004 for some time (probably in parallel with WM2003), so I think saying that MS would be rushing this platform out is a little presumptuous.

I've personally had the suspicion that infact WM2003 was the 'rushed-out' or interim platform as they decided (back then) to hold back the WM2004 platform to spend more time on enhancements and features - kind of like Windows ME was a bridge to Windows 2000.

Oh well, guess we'll wait and see... :)

Fair comment :-D I don't know I necessarily agree with your use of the word "presumptuous" - after all, I do try to make it clear that I'm just speculating, and if that's presumptuous then most sites are guilty of that at one time or another. ;-)

Anyway, Microsoft do invest considerable time and effort into all their operating systems, and even in spite of that many have viewed each successive OS as "rushed". Their new strategy of delaying OS updates in order to incorporate a more complete feature set and address corporate concerns could easily spill over into the Windows Mobile platform - so WM2004 could just as easily be WM2005, 2006, 2007.... :-D

There's most certainly some evidence out there of a landscape mode update for Windows Mobile 2003 (eg. http://www.ipaqabilities.com and http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1917 - but to be fair, both are as much speculation as my own article, and I feel that they too make that clear).

I do have what I feel are good sources for the Bluetooth update. However - wait and see is always the rule with any such speculation ;-)

As to Windows Mobile 2003 being rushed - certainly in terms of Pocket PC Phone I do tend to agree. Especially in terms of the Bluetooth support, which I wonder if Microsoft actually expected any vendor to use rather than replace.

Microsoft could just as easily (given suitable pressure from the right companies) have chosen to delay WM2004 for the purpose of fixing those issues with WM2003. If so, Motorola and hp would have strong products to deliver without the fear of major OS changes letting them down.

Bear in mind, of course, that while WM2003 was released, it was several months before WM2003 for Pocket PC Phones eventuated. If this is the norm for Microsoft (and let's assume for a moment that it is), then we may well see WM2003 in the new Pocket PC Phones, with an update to WM2004 several months later (at least by hp, perhaps not from Motorola who have so far failed to produce a WM2003 update for the general public).

That wouldn't be too unusual, and a strong WM2003 platform which incorporates a small subset of WM2004 features could actually serve to increase the popularity of Windows Mobile in the interim (take Windows ME as an example of this strategy, although in this case it failed miserably).

Anyway, bear in mind that it's all speculation. Some of it is backed up by stronger sources than others - eg. the major Bluetooth update - but at the end of the day, none of what I've discussed may happen : watch for the official announcement before you take it as a fact! :-)

fletch
03-02-2004, 09:39 PM
[quote="mmarlorI don't know I necessarily agree with your use of the word "presumptuous" - after all, I do try to make it clear that I'm just speculating, and if that's presumptuous then most sites are guilty of that at one time or another. ;-)
[/quote]

Sorry, i didnt mean presumptuous in such a negative way :)

Yes we all do it, thats what these types of forums are all about.

Go the blues!

mmarlor
03-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Sorry, i didnt mean presumptuous in such a negative way :)

Yes we all do it, thats what these types of forums are all about.

Go the blues!

:-D No problems :-)

Anyway on another note, take a look at the following Motorola Germany press release : http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,3927_3298_23,00.html

I took the time to run it through Google, etc, and post it here (http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page629.html) - but the main point doesn't need translation. The press release says Pocket PC 2003 in the specifications at the bottom :mrgreen: