View Full Version : Memory woes

Trimac20
03-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I have been having problems with low system (RAM) memory. I usually have like 7-8MB of onboard memory allocated to 'program' ie. running programs, applications eg. : certainly a modest amount. The problem is, after opening up several applications (say Windows Media Player, Word and Explorer) this amount goes right down to 2 or even less MB of RAM and cause very slow operation or even for the OS to freeze.
Although I installed a lot of applications on the SD Card (well, not that much 20MB worth) I don't think that would have any bearing on operation as I usually don't have more than 3-4 programs running at a time (I make sure of it).
So, what could be causing this low memory problem, and how can I fix it? Sorry for this recent overload of posts, but I just want to use my Pocket PC to its full potential. Thanks alot.

By the way, I have 64MB of onboard RAM and use a H4350 running Pocket Windows 2003.

Steven Cedrone
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
First, do a soft reset. Then, get yourself a copy of WIMR? (Where Is My RAM?) (http://mypaq.net/mysoftware/wimr/)

Also, get yourself a plugin that will allow you to kill an app instead of smart minimizing it.

Steve

Trimac20
03-03-2004, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that. But where do I get a plug in which actually closes the program instead of minimising it? Help appreciated.

Steven Cedrone
03-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that. But where do I get a plug in which actually closes the program instead of minimising it? Help appreciated.

Start with giving this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23466&start=0) a read!

Steve

Ripper014
03-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Sounds to me that you are missing the Check Notificaton & Notification Clear patches... there is a inherent issue with WM2003 that keeps stored crap in your ram... these programs will help clear them out on soft reboots...

Trimac20
03-04-2004, 06:51 AM
I can easily close the programs manually, but what I really want is an app which automatically closes a program after use.

senfeng
03-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Can't remember the names of the apps that I used to use, but I using Spb Pocket Plus (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=37EDA6AAE339E1B9CE566D55D87FXFEA&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=50351&sectionId=0&catalog=30) now. You can optimize how the 'X' button is used. It also comes with four other features:

1. Battery, Memory, Light, Storage card Today screen. Also lets you include shortcuts to other programs on the today screen.
2. Repeating Alarms
3. PIE plugin- full screen and multiple windows
4. 2003 start up fix- description from app- "Removes duplicate records from notification database appearing at every soft reset on Pocket PC 2003 devices."

I chose Pocket Plus because it replaces two other programs that I was using while adding the 'X' = close feature. However, I've seen programs out there that simply close apps. I'd hit the Software link and search there if you want one of these.