View Full Version : Weird display issue -- looks dark directly on, but can see image from an angle?

gai-jin
03-01-2004, 04:11 AM
On my wife's h1910 I've just come across a strange issue. When I powered the unit on the other day, I could tell the display was lighing up, but it was all black. Looking at it from an angle, rather than directly on, I can see the image, but somewhat dark. Direct on, you can't see much of anything. Any idea what might have caused this? It's like the contrast is all the way up or something...

Hopefully this is something simple that I'm overlooking...

Gai-jin

Pat Logsdon
03-01-2004, 04:29 AM
Sounds like you've got the backlight turned off. If you hold the power button down for a few seconds, it'll turn the backlight off. If you hold it down again for a few seconds, it'll turn it back on.

gai-jin
03-01-2004, 05:51 AM
No, the backlight is definitely on. I can see the white around the edges, and if I turn it off the screen goes completely black, can't even see the image at an angle.

Trying to solve the issue, I hardreset the device. I'm looking at an align screen page (again, only when holding the unit at an angle).

Anthony Caruana
03-01-2004, 06:26 AM
No, the backlight is definitely on. I can see the white around the edges, and if I turn it off the screen goes completely black, can't even see the image at an angle.

Trying to solve the issue, I hardreset the device. I'm looking at an align screen page (again, only when holding the unit at an angle).

Sounds like a defective display. Hate to say it but it sounds like a trip to HP's repair centre

Pat Logsdon
03-01-2004, 06:28 AM
I'll have to agree with Anthony - if it's not the normal backlight on/off functionality, chances are high that it's something bad. :cry:

Kati Compton
03-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Or the backlight is just set really low...

Anthony Caruana
03-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Or the backlight is just set really low...

Even after a hard reset? I thought this wuld bring it back to factory default.

PetiteFlower
03-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Well prior to the reset if it was just the backlight set low, you should have been able to change it. Anyway I just looked at my ppc with the backlight off and I could not see the image better at an angle. It sounds like a hardware issue, maybe the backlight burned out, or partially burned out? Either way I'd be on the phone with HP. Hopefully it's still under warrenty :)

gai-jin
03-03-2004, 05:39 AM
No, bought it used at christmas from the buy and sell forum here... :(