View Full Version : TomTom Navigator USA Bluetooth GPS Review

Jonathon Watkins
02-29-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1538431,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,175...,1538431,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>PC Magazine have given a glowing review to the TomTom Navigator USA Bluetooth GPS system: "(It) is, by far, the best in-car, turn-by-turn navigational system for handheld devices we've seen. Excellent maps, 3D views, and an intuitive, well-designed interface make this product a pleasure to use. The package includes the compact Bluetooth GPS receiver, a cradle, power cables and a car mounting kit, as well as the navigation software and maps on CDs." <br /><br />"It's the interface that really makes this product stand out. The screens are focused, omitting any extraneous details; whether a navigation map or application screen, everything is legible—an often overlooked necessity for PDA navigation. And rather than having to use a stylus or small drop-down menu, TomTom provides large on-screen buttons that can easily be selected with a finger. The most visually impressive feature about the TomTom PDA software is its 3D mapping. Most in-car GPS systems display the current location as a small moving dot on a flat map, but TomTom's software provides a 3D view of the street."<br /><br />It's always good to see decently written application push the boundaries of what you can usefully do with a Pocket PC. :D The <a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1538432,00.asp">review</a> is a bit short, but worth a look.

jffcurt
02-29-2004, 06:29 AM
I use this software with a Pharos Bluetooth GPS reciever. It's awsome. Period.

jeffmd
03-01-2004, 08:34 AM
excelent.. now if only they could price it sanely. This stuff is to expensive still for the average person.

fjrtrek
04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Does version 3 of tomtom navigator USA support coast to coast routing?
Lets say I have all the states loaded on sd from connecticut to California, can I pick a spot in California and get routed to it from Connecticut with out having to manually switch maps?

hollis_f
04-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Does version 3 of tomtom navigator USA support coast to coast routing?
Lets say I have all the states loaded on sd from connecticut to California, can I pick a spot in California and get routed to it from Connecticut with out having to manually switch maps?
Dunno about the US version, but us Yoorpeans can now plan a route that crosses different countries. TTN3 has a special mode that only plots with major roads. So you can plan a long journey via motorways.

Pondus
05-25-2004, 10:48 AM
I'm considering buying a Medion Pocket PC with GPS antenna. This runs on Windows Mobile 2003, and Medion includes their own software, Medion Navigator.
I gave this software a little test and it works well, but compared to what Tomtom navigator seems to offer it's not very great.. :)
So then I naturally wonder if anyone can tell me if the Tomtom software is compatible with Medion's GPS receiver..?

-Pondus, Norway

Jonathon Watkins
05-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Very good question Pondus, to which I'd like to know the answer as well.

Welcome to the site. Always good to have more folk on board. 8)

Pondus
05-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Thanks Jonathon. :) Am glad I found this forum, cuz it saves me lots of trouble finding software and testing everything I guess.

I guess I won't find out of the Medion issue too soon.. After scanning the shelves a bit I ordered a Asus MyPal A716, and some Bluetooth GPS receiver gadgets. Getting it later today, looking forward to testing it this weekend. :)

But still, I just might do a test on the Medion later on anyways. Be fun to find out what it's good for.. ;)

Have a great one!

-Pondus