View Full Version : Trouble obtaining IP address via DHCP

jalex
02-28-2004, 10:50 PM
This is a tricky one and I'm not even sure it's fair to unleash it on my fellow forum members but I'm at my witt's end and have nowhere else to turn. (There, that's apology out of the way.)

The best place to start is to show you the layout of part of my home network (http://shamen.no-ip.com/Content/Home_DHCP_Problem.jpg). You can see the usual items, the important thing to note is that the laptop can obtain an IP address via DHCP but the iPAQ cannot. I have included all of the f/w and s/w versions, hardware model numbers, etc. that I think are of use. I have tried everything with the iPAQ that I can think of: calling Linksys (don't get me started), tweaking the registry, etc. I used vxIP, vxUtil and a number of other utilities throughout the process and am somewhat versed (but have a great deal still to learn) in networking/computing jargon (and can use Google to great effect).

This is puzzling to say the least. Of course, I can get the iPAQ to work if I manually enter the necessary IP values, but I don't want to have to do that, mainly because I shouldn't have to. What's even stranger though is when I visit a favorite tavern or, in fact, anywhere else with a wireless network: the darned iPAQ works just fine via DHCP! Go figure!

Any suggestions, tips, hints, questions, comments, insults, hugs, etc. are being waited on with bated breath...

spacerace
02-28-2004, 11:51 PM
MAC address filtering on the wireless router ? (you'd have had to set this up though, and trusted the MAC address of the card in your laptop)

Can't think of any other reasons why it would fail when the laptop works though....

aZooZa
02-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Hi, this is my first post here. I've searched everywhere for someone else with a similar problem, but although folks have had problems with this card, mine is strange.

I have an i-mate, and an Orinoco base station (tall model - residential gateway) connected to an ISDN router/modem from 3COM.

When I use the Orinioco silver PCMCIA card in my laptop, I get a DHCP IP address in the correct range of 192,168.X.X from the router, and that card works with no problem.

When I try and mate the Sandisk to the base station, I get a completely different IP address (165.x.x.x or something -- sorry, I am not near the setup to check the exact address).

I've tried hard setting the card to the right IP address/gateway/dns etc. but no joy.

I get a steady green light on the Sandisk and I'm pretty sure it's 'talking' because I get a very short burst of signal both ways the instant I insert the card, but after that, nothing. No ping at all.

The ISDN modem/router has DHCP enabled, and 192.168.1.1 as the gateway address as one would expect.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be eternally grateful.

Just as an aside, I was thinking of getting the iPaq 6300 when it comes out; the one with built-in WiFi but I'm thinking that maybe that's not such a good idea because when 802.11x is superceded, I imagine the iPaq will not be upgradeable but I can get a new SDIO card for the i-mate. Just wish I could get this Sandisk card to work! :(

David Prahl
03-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Is cable television co-ax really only 3mbps?

jalex
03-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Is cable television co-ax really only 3Mbps?

David, mine sure is! :) ...but when you say "only" don't you really mean "as much as"?

Time Warner Cable's "Road Runner" service really has been fast and flawless for me for the three years I've had it. I think they started the "upgrade" on their system in my area as they only recently started advertising "up to twice as fast as DSL" speeds on TV here.

David Prahl
03-01-2004, 10:24 PM
I have RoadRunner too, and my speeds are usually around 2mbps. I thought RR could go faster, but if the limit on the coax is 3mbps then it can't.

jalex
03-01-2004, 10:44 PM
David, I misunderstood you. I have no idea what the physical limit of coax cabling is, I only know the throughput I am able/permitted to achieve. I'm sure the upper limit is much higher considering all the additional services we can subscribe to and that probably only uses a fraction of the maximum capacity.

David Prahl
03-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Oh, now I get it. :oops:

jali-p5
04-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi noo-b here. Thanks to everyone for the great information!! However, there's still one thing I cannot fix.

I'm new to the PPC, having transitioned from Palm previously and have been reading up on all this WIFI activesync stuff. I thought it would be easy enough, but as always MS needs to ensure things are not as easy as they seem. ;)

My setup is pretty much the same as the one in the first post. I have an iPAQ h4150 running on WM2K3. The issue is trying to get the iPAQ to obtain an IP address from the DHCP, which the iPAQ just won't do.

I tried everything suggested in all the WIFI posts i've found (e.g. changing my iPAQ device name to under 8 characters, network settings)

When I turn on the WIFI, it will connect to other available routers since I've used the WIFI in my travels and it worked great. When I get home and try it, the darn thing will just not register an IP address. Using a static IP is not an option for me because I travel a lot and that would require me to always change my IP.

WIFI AP has been set up with:
- MAC filtering turned on,
- WEP enabled (128-bit),
- no SSID broadcasting.

I believe that I have put down the right MAC address for the iPAQ (Settings > System > Asset Viewer) and expanded the "Wireless LAN" item, where it has MAC Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX. This is the same thing with my laptop and my laptop is able to get an IP from the DHCP. The iPAQ simply registers 169.254.179.95, which I believe is just a preassigned IP address assigned by Windows Mobile similar to windows when it cannot obtain an IP. No DHCP IP, so at home, I cannot surf, sync, ping or anything.

When I look at the iPAQ, it shows the connected signal and indicates that it is connected to my WIFI AP. The signal strength is very strong. Just no IP assigned.

Any ideas? If you need any more information in order to help me out, let me know and I'll provide all that I can.

aZooZa
04-06-2004, 02:04 PM
For the authenticating password - try just the 5 ASCII characters from your base station -- NOT a hex password, and with no leading zero. That works for me now with just the out-of-the-box WinMob2K3 wireless set-up!

jalex
04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
aZooZa, do you have a similar set-up to both myself and jali-p5? If not, that might be a better reason for your DHCP working. I'm hoping, though, that your suggestion will work for us but am unclear as to exactly what your suggestion is.

I understand what you mean by "authenticating password" and I know that I have the option to enter ASCII characters instead of the Hex codes I use right now but am wondering (a) what you mean by "the 5 ... characters from your base station" and (b) if five characters is enough for an ASCII password for WEP (regardless of the key being 64-bit or 128-bit).

What are the characters from the base station that you mean? Can you give an example?

jali-p5
04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
i don't really want to reduce the WEP strength because i don't want it to be easy for people to get into my network.

I will try changing the HEX password to have no leading zero's tonight and see if that will work.

Is the HEX password case sensitive?

Added info on configuration of the Network Authentication on iPAQ:
Checked - Data encryption (WEP Enabled)
Unchecked - Network Authentication (Shared Mode)
Unchecked - Key is provided
Network key is my HEX password
Key Index = 4
Unchecked - Enable network access using IEEE 802.1X

I tried to see if checking the "Network Authentication (Shared Mode)", but then it just wouldn't connect to my router.

Steven Cedrone
04-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Just as a test: Disable WEP, enable SSID, turn off MAC filtering. Then see if you can connect and obtain an address. If that works, start to re-add the filtering, WEP and SSID (one at a time - turn off and re-connect after every change). Give that a shot and see what happens...

Steve

jali-p5
04-06-2004, 03:52 PM
I'll try that as well and post my results later tonight. I'm beginning to think that my PPC network setting is not configured properly. :?

When configuring the connection on the PPC, what does "Network Authentication (Shared Mode)" mean? Do I have to have this checked when I'm trying to connect to a WEP AP?

What does the key index signify? I've configured my AP to use 128-bit WEP protection, so is it right that I use "Key Index = 4" on my PPC? ("Key is provided..." is unchecked of course. :) )

jalex
04-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. Unfortunately, I've been through all that several times. I tried it all myself, Linksys (like I said before, don't get me started on them :evil:) insisted I try it all again but all to no avail.

jali-p5
04-06-2004, 03:56 PM
jalex, seems like we both might be configuring the WEP on our PPC WIFI connection improperly....... :?

jali-p5
04-07-2004, 05:36 AM
It took a while, but I was able to obtain an IP address from my wireless AP connected to a wired router serving as my DHCP server!!!

I took Steve's suggestion and decided to work my way up into a secure wireless environment.

First thing I did was turn off all wireless security, MAC filtering, and started to broadcast my SSID, as suggested. Turned off the PPC, turned it back on, activated the WIFI, and created a connection to my AP. BAM! I verify with vxUtil and it shows that I have been assigned an IP starting with 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. Good start. Just to make sure it's all working fine, I double check the DHCP server and see that my PPC is indeed assigned an IP. Looks good. Now I proceed to ping my desktop which has ActiveSync loaded to ensure that I can connect with it. BAM! Ping successful. GREAT!

Next, I turn off the broadcasting of my SSID, inactivate the PPC WIFI, turn off the PPC and wait a few seconds, then turn on the PPC, activate the WIFI and see if I am still able to make a connection to the AP since the access has already been setup. IT CONNECTS!! So I do the same thing as before and ping my desktop. Success!!

Next, I turn on MAC Filtering (again I turn off the PPC and WIFI) and specify my PPC's MAC address into the list. Then I turn on the PPC, activate the WIFI and see if I am able to make the connection again. Success yet again! So now I know that my connection to the AP is working with SSID Broadcast off, and MAC Filtering On. The next big thing is to see if I can turn on WEP-128. I did a bit of research because I was certain that I am not totally understanding this WEP thing and how the HEX keys work and what is up with the key index.

My theory is that the key index allows you to input more than one HEX key into the connection in the event your AP has multiple key indexes for HEX connection. PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG cause I have no clue what it all means!

So now I go and configure my AP to enable WEP security at 128-bit and input my 26 HEX character password. I used this link to generate a 128-bit WEP key:

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html#custom

It allowed me to create a 128-bit key using 13 characters as a passphrase. I found information on the net saying that a 13 character passphrase will turn into a 104/128-bit WEP key with 26 HEX characters.

Now my router is configured with this WEP key and I'm good to go on the security front. Well good enough for a home. :) I then proceed to input the WEP key information onto the PPC. Like everyone's said before around configuring the PPC for WIFI ActiveSync (I'm assuming that you want your adapter to obtain an IP since this is the topic):
- Go to Settings > Connections > Connections
- Go to the Advanced tab and click on Network Card
- Under the Wireless tab, select your WIFI Access Point
- Go to the Authentication tab
- these are the following settings I used to configure my PPC:
==> Check - Data encryption (WEP Enabled)
==> Unchecked - Network Authentication (Shared Mode)
==> Unchecked - The Key is provided for me automatically
==> Network Key = 26 character HEX key you used for WEP security
==> Key Index = 1
==> Unchecked - Enable network access using IEEE 802.1X

NOW IT WORKS AND I'M SYNCING VIA WIFI!!! WOOOO HOOO!!!!

Hope this helped who ever needed helping. :)

Steven Cedrone
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Great to hear that you have it running!

Steve