View Full Version : Dead pixel occur on my Ipaq2215 !Is that bad?

nexus
02-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi everybody!I'm a new comer.I have a question.Plz help me!I bought my first 2215 nearly month.It's good.Last few day,I discovered on it display a dot that more brighter than others when I set background color is black.That dot is light-blue.Does my 2215' display or mainboard have problem?Or it have used for a long time?My 2215 is not a brandnew when I bought it.Thank you. :roll:

senfeng
02-28-2004, 02:03 PM
If the warantee is still in affect, I'd contact HP technical support. The number should be in the manual (I think).

dMores
02-28-2004, 02:19 PM
no chance.
as with all tft devices, a certain percentage of dead pixels are "allowed" and not covered by warranty.

but you can try ...

AggieJon
02-28-2004, 06:33 PM
as with all tft devices, a certain percentage of dead pixels are "allowed" and not covered by warranty.

Unfortunately this seems to be true. I sent my 2215 in for service a few weeks ago to fix the d-pad and a dead pixel. I got it back with a new d-pad, but they didn't fix the dead pixel. When I asked them about this they said they didn't see any "significant problem" with the screen. :bad-words: To me, this is a pretty bad mark for HP, which is generally known to have good customer service, but I guess I can live with it. :roll:

JustinGTP
02-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I have a little tiny light blue dead pixel too, oh well, Ill live with it. It doesn't bother me though that much, you can only see it on black screens :D

-Justin.

ctmagnus
02-28-2004, 08:49 PM
No dead pixels, no dust! :rock on dude!:

dMores
02-28-2004, 09:00 PM
it's not HP's fault, since i believe HP doesn't produce those screens themselves.

i once had a 17" tft from philips, and in the manual i could find a table with the exact amounts of dead pixels that are considered "minor" flaws.
there's also a difference between 5 individual pixels, for example, and 5 pixels next to each other.
then there's sub-pixel flaws, which seem to be even more minor (minorer? :)).

like i said, it's not a ppc thing, any device with a tft-screen has some sort of "lee-way" in regards of pixel functionality. don't blame HP, DELL, etc. blame the screen producers.

nexus
02-29-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a little tiny light blue dead pixel too, oh well, Ill live with it
Unfortunately this seems to be true. I sent my 2215 in for service a few weeks ago to fix the d-pad and a dead pixel.

Dead dot appeared on first look when you bought a brandnew, or after a long time of using,didn't it?
I have heard that after a determined time, the display maybe "dead" .That's right?Thanks again. :D

AggieJon
02-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Dead dot appeared on first look when you bought a brandnew, or after a long time of using,didn't it?

My dead dot was there when I first bought it. I ordered my iPAQ directly from HP.

Gutsandglory
03-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Just about all manufacturers of LCD screens have some kind of dead pixel limit in thier warranties, it can range from 2-3 dead pixels on a 15" being considered "acceptable" to 5-6 on a 21" screen. The reason for this is that for them to guarantee no dead pixels on all screens they would have to fully test each screen before it leaves the plant discarding any screens that have dead pixels, or i believe they can produce them perfect but at a price probably 5 times or more than what you pay now, so LCD would be extremely expensive.

So perhaps HP has maybe a 1 or 2 pixel "acceptable" rating in the warranty, i dont know i havent read the particulars myself.

If i was to ever buy a 21" LCD i would be a tad irate if it had 5 dead pixels and they refused to exchange it.