View Full Version : Best use of a PPC I have found... =)

rugerx
02-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Last week, heavy thunderstorms in my area around midnight.

Lights flash a few times, then no lights... pitch black.

I am in the furthest back room of my maze of a house. No flashlights nearby.

Then I remember I have my ppc in my jacket pocket.

I pull it out, turn it on and viola! I have light. :idea:
I was surprised how bright that 4155 is in a truly dark room!

I was able to navigate very easily to my garage and get the flashlights.

Godsongz
02-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Yep, I use mine as a flashlight almost every night. After the kids are in bed, the dog has been let out, everything powered off for the night, candles extinguished... on my own way upstairs to bed (which is usually very late) my house is pitch black. I normally read ebooks in bed to put myself to sleep anyway, so the last thing I do is grab my PPC from its cradle, press the activation button for Voice Command, speak "open book" and then use the light from the screen to navigate my way upstairs and to my bedroom.

There are programs out there that do nothing else but display a pure white screen for the purpose of providing light, but my ebook screen is plenty bright enough to keep me from tripping over the dog.

Jeff Rutledge
02-27-2004, 04:22 PM
How timely...

We had a couple of power outages overnight. The last one hit just as I was heading out the door this morning. Without my iPAQ and the light it provided, who knows what colour shoes I would have ended up with. ;)

Jacob
02-27-2004, 04:27 PM
It always has surprised me how bright the screen is in a dark room - even at half brightness.

It makes me think I can just use it as a light to save energy 8O

elm
02-27-2004, 04:29 PM
U can download a small app. so u can use your PDA as a flashlight.

http://www.appliedpda.com/Products_Freeware.html

ELM

ale2999
02-27-2004, 11:08 PM
How timely...

We had a couple of power outages overnight. The last one hit just as I was heading out the door this morning. Without my iPAQ and the light it provided, who knows what colour shoes I would have ended up with. ;)
come tell me about it! I was soooo angry.
first last night: I was studying some notes online and there was a 1/2 a second powersurge and my pc went off..... didnt turn on... I was so angry cuz I thought it fried! so in desperation I unplugged it from the power bad and plugged it directly in the wall, and it worked. so I put it back in the power bar and it still worked. I dont know what happened but I think God answere my prayers!

this morning I woke up and no power. and I use my ipaq to get dressed and out of my pitch dark house!

JustinGTP
02-27-2004, 11:52 PM
How timely...

Yeah, I heard Calgary had it really bad - we are just outside of the city in Springbank, and we only had one blip in the power - in the morning it was fine! Lucky us I guess...

-Justin.

Wiggster
02-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Don't forget that you can use it with the screen off as a mirror! ;)

Ripper014
02-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Been there... I was playing tennis in a bubble one weekend and there was a power outage... made my way back to my Tennis bag... barely... and used my PPC to find the balls get out...

six-paq
02-28-2004, 03:20 AM
My Toshiba e355 works great as a flashlight.
Bright screen!!!!!!!
But a cheap Wal-mart LED works even better.

szamot
02-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I used mine once at the concert, as I do not smoke and therefore carry a lighter I used my Pocket PC to make my own glow Yeah Baby :D

Janak Parekh
02-28-2004, 09:08 PM
first last night: I was studying some notes online and there was a 1/2 a second powersurge and my pc went off..... didnt turn on... I was so angry cuz I thought it fried! so in desperation I unplugged it from the power bad and plugged it directly in the wall, and it worked. so I put it back in the power bar and it still worked. I dont know what happened but I think God answere my prayers!
More likely, the power supply prevented the machine from power cycling so quickly to save its circuits. ;) This is par for the course when a power cycle happens too fast. Turning the PC off for a while, letting it "cool", and turning it back on usually recovers it.

--janak

Aerestis
02-29-2004, 10:01 AM
When I use my little palm on the bus, the whole bus is touched by light from my screen. I take in the early early morning and late late night, so it's always very dark. It's uncomfortable, because I know these people are looking at me but it's too bright to see when they are or who is.

I use it as a flashlight very regularly, people are always impressed. Which I think is hilarious, they never seem to care when I'm listening to mp3's or watching videos... They just get excited when I can find their shoes for them. :spam: :confused totally:

JustinGTP
02-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I used mine once at the concert, as I do not smoke and therefore carry a lighter I used my Pocket PC to make my own glow Yeah Baby :D

Oh.... So you mean you don't have a lighter then right? But I think I get what you are saying, at concerts people wave their lighters in the air and it gets the concert glowing and the performer does an encore presentation? So you waved your Pocket PC in the air - cool idea! 8)