View Full Version : We're Back...

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 03:35 AM
I'm sure a few hearts stopped when PPCT went belly-up there for a few hours, but thanks to the efforts of the dynamic duo (Jorj and Janak - with help from Scott), the site is humming along nicely now. Whew. In case you missed it, for a few hours we had what I think is perhaps my best haiku yet:<br /><br />We are off the grid<br />Like water over the falls<br />Our server tumbles<br /><br />Doesn't that just move you? For those that don't know the back story to that, every time we move the site, or it goes down for some reason, I write up a nice haiku - I think the stress over going offline juxtaposed with the peace of the haiku is what makes them so fulfilling. Or maybe it's because our infrastructure is so complicated now, when things go down, all I'm good for is writing poetry. :lol:<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> Ok, somethin' dun got broke again. :mecry: The site will be slow for a bit because the load is quite high.

Steven Cedrone
02-27-2004, 03:41 AM
We are off the grid
Like water over the falls
Our server tumbles

That was the best one yet! Do we have a record of every Haiku you have posted? If we do, maybe we should post them all somewhere...:wink:

Steve

c38b2
02-27-2004, 03:42 AM
I've always liked limericks - do you think you could write oneinstead of a haiku the next time PPCT goes down? :D

toddbil
02-27-2004, 03:43 AM
No No No!!!!! :boohoo:

Glad it's Back....

Todd

Steven Cedrone
02-27-2004, 03:44 AM
I've always liked limericks - do you think you could write one instead of a haiku the next time PCT goes down? :D

Sacrilege!!! :wink:

Steve

GoldKey
02-27-2004, 03:48 AM
That was the best one yet! Do we have a record of every Haiku you have posted? If we do, maybe we should post them all somewhere...:wink:

Steve

I second that. I would love to see a haiku archive.

How about a haiku contest?

ctmagnus
02-27-2004, 03:50 AM
Finally! My broken heart is now mending itself.

or:

Pocket PC Thoughts...
gone! Woe is me! Woe is me!
It's back! Celebrate!

Take yer pick.

dmy
02-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Maybe a contest to tell of our moment of panic and withdrawl symptoms while PPCT was down??

Well.... ok.... only a moment or two of withdrawl....

D.

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 03:52 AM
I've always liked limericks - do you think you could write oneinstead of a haiku the next time PPCT goes down? :D

I'm incapable of writing limericks, due to a lack of Irish genes, and furthermore, everytime I think of limericks, Data from ST:TNG comes to mind: "There was once a lady from Venus, whose body was shaped like a..." 8O

dmacburry2003
02-27-2004, 03:55 AM
I was over at the Microsoft PPC chat when I went to refer to something on this site and BOOP! It was gone! I screamed. But its alright now. Everythings OK. Its going to be just fine.... LOL. Glad your back.

Nice poetry btw 8)

ombu
02-27-2004, 03:57 AM
:drinking: I was finishing a post and drinking a martini my wife just prepared for me (only one, I swear) and when clicking Preview everything went blank, oops, that's muscle I thought, my new 2210 broke the site!!! :twisted: And, yes, my heart stopped, I never meant to hurt friends, good friends :wink: , so next time it'll be a vodka martini, no more gin. :mrgreen:

mjfalcone
02-27-2004, 04:04 AM
Jason, that's a very nice haiku. It's a very old and difficult art form to perform.

Of course I'm reading it on my iPAQ from the local emergency room because I HAD FREAKING HEART FAILURE when I tried to get to the site and blurp. Big zero... 8O

The though of being with out this bastion of Pocket PC goodness is just too much for some of us.

Good job getting the site back guys. I'll just go home now and sob quietly in relief... :D

David Prahl
02-27-2004, 04:32 AM
Quick! Somone post a link on Slashdot! :D

Although saddened that I couldn't visit the site, I knew that a great Haiku was in the making. Good one, Jason!

blue screen of death (again)
illegal operation
control fist of death...

c38b2
02-27-2004, 04:42 AM
blue screen of death (again)
That's 4 or 6 syllables depending on whether you intended to include "again" as part of the poem. The first line must have 5 :wink:

David Prahl
02-27-2004, 05:09 AM
8O
I can count. Really.

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 05:27 AM
8O I can count. Really.

It's ok buddy, that's why you're on the review team and not the math team. :mrgreen:

Aerestis
02-27-2004, 06:21 AM
haha, well that was funny.

there's a nice haiku thread going on at http://www.cgtalk.com, I think it's funny that a computer graphic forum and a pocketpc forum resorts to haiku.

Haiku must be a universally enjoyable art.

Like lawn darts.

stitics
02-27-2004, 06:48 AM
I know this is off topic, but what are the criteria for a haiku again? I think I might give it a shot.

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 06:52 AM
I know this is off topic, but what are the criteria for a haiku again? I think I might give it a shot.

5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. Typically incorporating some element of nature...

T-Will
02-27-2004, 06:59 AM
I wrote a couple haikus that explain haiku:

Haiku works like this
First you need five, then seven
And then five again

You need syllables
First you need five, then seven
And then five again

Haiku works like this
You need syllables, first five
Then seven, then five

(I think these work, right?)

stitics
02-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Thank you...very much.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I thought the post wasn't taking. I had absoloutely NO intention to post twice...let alone FOUR times. I apologize profusely.

Edit: I have, apparently, been smoking crack. I don't know what I was talking about above. It was all in my head. :D

Jonathon Watkins
02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
What 4 posts? :wink: We have ways of dealing with these things. 8)

Nice to be back up gain.

c38b2
02-27-2004, 12:57 PM
(I think these work, right?)
Yes they do. Very good! :D

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 03:52 PM
The server load is about 15, so things are still sloooow.

JvanEkris
02-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Jason,

We had similar problems a couple of weeks ago. What helped us a lot was caching the compiled PHP scripts on the server (before that, they were compiled on every request). This reduced the load on the server from 40 to about 5....

If you want i can ask our tech-guy to cantact your tech-guy with the details......

Jaap

mountainguy
02-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Red dawn cracked the sky
Fire and fantasy overhead
Thoughts site renewed.

T-Will
02-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Oh my love is back!
Sweet like the honey of bees
Pocket PC Thoughts!

P.S. Can haiku have punctuation?

Pat Logsdon
02-27-2004, 06:31 PM
But soft! What light through
yonder window breaks? Tis Thoughts,
Where's stylus? Oh - ow!

Shakespeare via Basho via a Vogon. :mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
02-27-2004, 07:35 PM
I don't think we're quite out of the woods yet guys. :?

Have a peek at the Register's Nigerian 419 Haiku (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/35867.html) competition in the meanwhile.

Stitics, go easy on that crack now ya-hear! :wink:

Jonathan1
02-27-2004, 07:38 PM
*sighs* Jason. Didn't someone tell you daisy chaining your spare pocket PCs to increase your computing power and using it to run the site doesn't work well?!?! ;) :D

Glad you guys are back online.

Christian
02-27-2004, 07:40 PM
It is amazing
That so many have free time
To write these Haiku!

It must be we normally read PPCT all day. :wink:

klinux
02-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Site is going down
Jason writes clever haiku
Is it over yet?

LarDude
02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Jason,...poetry in the land of beef and oil? (btw, I'm typing very quietly).
Shouldn't you be careful and keep it quiet, you might get run out of town (and province).

You aren't thinking of starting a new site pocketpoetrythoughts.com, are you?
:wink:

T-Will
02-27-2004, 08:27 PM
No, it's not over
The madness still continues
Please make it stop now!

:lol:

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Red dawn cracked the sky
Fire and fantasy overhead
Thoughts site renewed.

That's quite beautiful, but the second line has an extra syllable. ;-)

Jason Dunn
02-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Jason,...poetry in the land of beef and oil?

What, you've never heard of Cowboy Poetry (http://www.cowboypoetry.com/)? :lol: (not that I'm a cowboy mind you)

T-Will
02-27-2004, 09:31 PM
It loads so swiftly
Like the flight of an eagle
Pocket PC Thoughts

(Assuming "PC" is two syllables)

Wiggin
02-27-2004, 11:43 PM
I too was in the middle of writing a response in the forum when the lights went out... little did I know that a simple Haiku could express what happened next! :lol:

The shock was sudden!
Terror and horror for all
The Site ... bring it back!!!

We're all glad that the faithfull PPCT team saved the world and brought peace and calm back to the masses!
:way to go:

Janak Parekh
02-28-2004, 05:14 AM
We had similar problems a couple of weeks ago. What helped us a lot was caching the compiled PHP scripts on the server (before that, they were compiled on every request). This reduced the load on the server from 40 to about 5....
I'll pass the tidbit onto Fabrizio, but I know that's not the problem -- Fabrizio already fixed it. And I bet he already knows about the caching. But thanks. :)

--janak