View Full Version : How to re-apply a washable screen protector...

karinatwork
02-26-2004, 07:28 AM
I fiddled around with my Boxwave for a while, I wanted to make sure it is applied perfectly, with no lint and especially no prints on the "sticky" side. I found it hard to wash the thing and then to wave it around half and hour to make it dry, because by then with all the waving dust had settled in again.

What I do now is so easy, I wish I would have come up with it earlier:

1. Take the screen protector off, and wash it under running water.

2. Put it down on a (preferably but not necessarily) lint-free cloth, sticky side up.

3. Tap it dry with that same cloth. (I know, you're not supposed to do that, but it will look good in the end, I promise).

4. Once the protector is dry, cover it lenghtwise with invisible Scotch tape (the matte type that you can write on with a pencil and that doesn't leave sticky residue). You'll need approximately 7 to 8 strips, depending on width. Make sure you make them overlap on each other and on the ends (making them adhere to the cloth underneath the protector).You should press the tape onto the screen protector really well!

5. When the protector is all covered, you can take the protector off the cloth. It should now look like this:
http://www.nelsons.ca/Protector-1.jpg

6. Cut the uneven edges of the sticky tape and apply another strip of tape widthwise over the ends of the tapes (cover the sticky side so you can handle it easier.
http://www.nelsons.ca/Protector-2.jpg

7. Now you can apply your screen protector like the first time, no lint, no fingerprints. Peel off 1/2 inch, put it down on your screen, and peel the tape back slowly, while applying the protector onto the screen. If you should notice some lint before you have taken the tape off completely, you can even take the protector back off, press it again against the tape and re-apply.
http://www.nelsons.ca/Protector-3.jpg

Well, this way is the easiest way so far I found to re-apply a washable screen protector. Considered that I'm almost never able to center it at the first try, I always had trouble with lint from the start. Not anymore.

It might not be new, but nobody taught me to do it this way, and it took me a while to figure it out by myself, so I thought I'd share. :)

K.

Aerestis
02-26-2004, 08:19 AM
wow, that is great. Thanks a lot, I'd never think of using tape to remove lint, even though I always used a spare screen protector to clean the screen. That makes a lot of sense!

Steven Cedrone
02-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Great tip! My screen protector is due to be cleaned, I'm going to give this a shot!

Steve

Stephen Beesley
02-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Talk about great timing - I just cleaned my screen protector but am being driven mad by the dust that seems to have settled on it. Now all I need to do is hunt down some tape!

Stephen Beesley
02-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Mission accomplished - Just tried this technique and it worked wonderfully. Not only did it keep my screen protector free from dust, but it also made the application process much easier!

mountainguy
02-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Karin,

I don't need to do this today, but my oh my what a nice reminder of a helpful bit of information. I know lots of folks will benefit from it, but what is so amazing to me is how complete and thorough the post is. I mean, you did everything except tell me when to exhale when placing it on the screen. Thanks so much.

To make that even more impressive, am I remembering correctly that you have a 2 year old? Man, you must slip Benedryl in the Mickey Dees sometime! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the reminder!

Kenn

DimensionZero
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
DOH! where were you a few months back when I cleaned my screen protector! hehe. Looks like I'll clean mine again! :mrgreen:

PetiteFlower
02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
These are the instructions on how to clean write shields, they never mention using or needing to use water on them. I don't see why you would need water unless it was REALLY REALLY dirty!

Anyway just be really really careful not to let the sticky part of the tape touch the screen, even the slightest touch will leave sticky residue and then you'll have to rub that off and start all over!

BoxWave
02-26-2004, 09:12 PM
8O ,

Wowowow.

That is all.

:),

Wing
www.boxwave.com

Wiggster
02-26-2004, 11:20 PM
I've used screen protectors for a while, and when I put a new one on this week, it was the first time I had noticable dirt on the screen. So I'm definitely due to reapply, and now I have an original, inexpensive idea on how to do it. And it's got great pictures detailing it, too.

:way to go: for the help :mrgreen:

Myrddin
02-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Good tip! :)
I've been doing this for a while actually. Works fantastically. only I lay the tape the other way ;)

spawn_x
03-01-2004, 05:38 AM
guys (and girls) have to ask..

do any one of you have problems with the boxwave screen protector NOT "gluing" at the edges? It seems to be "lifted off" around two corners and won't stick to the screen.. :(

this one is brand new BTW..

and that is an awesome write-up, i'll have to use it when/if i reapply mine. :)

PetiteFlower
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I expect it's supposed to be that way, so you can lift up the edges and get it off later.

spawn_x
03-02-2004, 12:47 AM
doh that sucks.. :(

karinatwork
03-02-2004, 01:18 AM
I don't know. This is my second one and neither of them had sticky problems. They might get those eventually, if you remove the protector too often (the edges wear out and lose some of their stickyness - might be repairable by applying duct tape to those areas; haven't tried it yet personally so be careful), but not when they are new. Maybe you want to contact the Boxwave customer service, which is excellent (IMHO), they might exchange it for you.

I definitively think that this is not how it is supposed to work.

Good luck!

:)

PetiteFlower
03-02-2004, 03:49 AM
I'm just talking about the VERY edges....like my writeshields seem to have about maybe a mm along the top and bottom that don't have sticky.

Oh and DUCT TAPE? It may be a wonderful magical substance but I will bet money that all that sticky residue will ruin any screen protector!

karinatwork
03-02-2004, 04:51 AM
As I said: Be careful with the duct tape! :wink:

Mitch D
03-02-2004, 05:01 AM
I think we can safely say that in this instance, Duct Tape is defiantly not the handyman's best friend! :wink:

Sorry about that Red!

karinatwork
03-02-2004, 05:04 AM
Oh I hope I didn't kill that screen protector now!!! 8O
I wish I had one handy to try it out, but those things last forever, haven't had one to throw away yet.

karinatwork
03-02-2004, 05:10 AM
Ok, I wanted to know it now.

I took a piece of duct tape and applied it to the sticky side of my Boxwave screen protector. Guess what - it doesn't even stick! What a funny material they are using to coat the sticky side!! The duct tape sticks really well to the non-sticky side, well enough to use the tape to lift the applied screen protector OFF of the screen (now I don't need to use fingernails anymore), but it won't stick on the other side. Who knew? 8O

K.

ctmagnus
04-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Excellent tip! This one made it into my RepliGo library of useful info!

ctmagnus
04-25-2004, 04:34 AM
It looks like I may have to use this tip this week. My iPaq is due to be sent back under a Care Pack.

ctmagnus
04-26-2004, 05:21 AM
It appears that karinatwork's images have gone awol (or she just deleted/moved them on her server).

If anyone wants a lovely rendition of them, my RepliGo version of this thread (as of a few weeks ago) can be obtained here (http://www.magnusson.ca/Filez/How to re-apply a washable screen protector.rgo).

:)