View Full Version : yahoo on ipaq

alias2210
02-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Help!!
Where can i find free software that can help me access my yahoo mail on my ipaq 2210? I don't know if it's possible to download the emails thru my pda, but managing it while on the go is my main concern. 'Coz i still don't have a wifi card to be able to connect pda to sot spots.
I read about "one email" software, is it any good?
thanks in advance. :wink:

Jorgen
02-25-2004, 06:42 PM
You can set yahoo mail up to be downloaded via any POP email program.

My wife and I use Outlook to fetch yahoo.co.uk and co.jp email (go to mail options and look for the word "POP") but could use a PPC email program.

Jorgen

Jacob
02-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Doesn't Yahoo charge for POP access to their accounts?

I know there are freeware apps that do this, but I thought to access their accounts as a regular POP server you had to pay for one of their upgraded services?

Mark Kenepp
02-25-2004, 06:57 PM

I know there are freeware apps that do this, but I thought to access their accounts as a regular POP server you had to pay for one of their upgraded services?

I am paying $19.95 a year for this capability.

They also have a secure SMTP server which I do not know whether or not it is accessible with the Pocket PC email app, though, admittedly, I don't remember ever trying.

iant54
02-25-2004, 07:01 PM
I have a yahoo.co.uk address, and I can receive and send e-mails from Outlook through my ISP (f9.co.uk). I'm paying nothing for the service.

waterboy
02-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I have Yahoo through SW Bell DSL service. With WM2K3, I can send and receive using POP3 and SMTP servers at yahoo. I never could get SMTP sending to work using PPC2K2.

Mark Kenepp
02-25-2004, 09:20 PM
I have Yahoo through SW Bell DSL service. With WM2K3, I can send and receive using POP3 and SMTP servers at yahoo. I never could get SMTP sending to work using PPC2K2.

I would assume that SW Bell is part of SBC (since SBC stands for Southwest Bell Corp. I think), in which case SBC and Yahoo merged their DSL service a few years back (at least that is true for Pacific Bell DSL). That might explain why you have POP access to your Yahoo account. Is your Yahoo account connected to your DSL service?

I have a yahoo.co.uk address, and I can receive and send e-mails from Outlook through my ISP (f9.co.uk). I'm paying nothing for the service.

I wonder if that is a Yahoo UK thing or a f9.co.uk thing?

waterboy
02-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes, it's part of the SBC empire. SW Bell provides the DSL, Yahoo provides the content.

(What's nice about it, though, is that there are local dial-up numbers covering most metropolitan areas of the US, so can use my iPAQ to check email while on the road, at no charge :D , except for the %$&%$&^ hotel local access charges :cry: .)

don dre
03-03-2004, 05:32 AM
yes, $20 per year. it also allows you to send larger files over the internet and I think gives you extra space. it's worth it. I use yahoo's junk email folder to keep the trash out of my outlook and it works quite well.

Jorgen
03-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Or change to a limey account and get it from free! I have 6Mb space.

Jorgen