View Full Version : Has this been done?

Aerestis
02-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Screen protectors that only adhere on one edge, and lay flat to the screen. The plastic would be as smooth, clear, thin, stiff, and flat as possible. Perhaps it would be adhesive on two edges to ensure staying in place, and so no edges would be lifting that could get caught on something, which could pull the protector off. Anyhow, I think this would reduce bubbles and give room for a durable product. I'm inexperienced in the protector world, so there are probably better solutions. But this would be very cleanable, potentially very durable, and entirely bubble-less. The only problem might be if there was space between the protector and screen, there might be too much light bouncing between the surfaces which might cause less visibility. I might be entirely wrong, because I'm not entirely clear on the physics of light and the mechanics of LCD screens. But all sounds like it could be a good product. Does it exist? if not, I hope some company makes me one. I'd pay an easy twenty five dollars canadian for one, if it could do what I am imaginging it doing.

Janak Parekh
02-25-2004, 04:42 AM
I don't think so, and that's because it would attract dust under the surface -- and lots of it. The only reason today's screen protectors don't is because they create a seal between the screen and the plastic.

--janak

Aerestis
02-25-2004, 07:16 AM
I think it could be possible to avoid the dust. Couldn't it be? We make computers capable of word processing, image manipulation, game playing, music/movie playing fit into our hands, can we not make an easy to use, automatically bubble-free screen protectors? Hmmm, if it fit in PERFECTLY and had rubber around the edges... A thin but sort of sticky rubber... Where the adhesive wasn't? Come on! It has to be good. I'm going to manufacture one of these in my kitchen tomorrow, to see if dust gets in. Here, this picture sums it up.

http://www.yourimagehost.com/is.php?i=600&img=4730Idea.jpg

I made that up sort of quickly but it does the job, I think.

Aerestis
02-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Yeah, nevermind, if it was a good idea it would be done.

JvanEkris
02-25-2004, 09:41 AM
The HP jornada 548 series had a bit different concept, but in practice it resembled it a lot. The Jornada screen had a little room between the casing and the screen in the left and right side. The four edges of the screenprotector would be folded upwards, and you would slide the screenprotectors between the screen and the casing. Because the corners were sticking out, it would stay in place. No need for glue etc..

The dust-issue mentioned was not that big: it came and it went, because the top-layer was open. One problem was that some things would really settle between the screen and the protector, making it very annoying. However, removing it and washing both screen and protector would be easy. Because there is no glue-like components involved, they can be re-applied easily, without having bubbles or dust between your screen and protector.

Jaap

PetiteFlower
02-25-2004, 07:41 PM
There are adhesive-free screen protectors you can get(or make yourself) now, just pieces of plastic(acetate?) a little bigger then the screen designed to slide into the space between the screen and the plastic casing, if you can picture that. I tried them once, they were a HUGE pain to get installed, and there was dust under it, and it scratched easily and visibly. Ditched it almost immediately and went naked till I got my Writeshields :)