View Full Version : global setting on PPC to display private items?

ojleblanc
02-24-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a way to keep private items hidden on the office PC but easily viewable on the PPC. I'm wondering if the PPC has separate controls for (1) marking an item as private or not and (2) to display private items or not. This way I can mark all personal items as private on the PPC but set the display option to "show all." Then I won't have to enter a password every time I want to view the many personal items on the calendar. Yet, they will be marked private (and thus hidden) on my office calendar.

Is this possible?

Jason Dunn
02-25-2004, 01:35 AM
No, I'm afraid that's not possible - there are some 3rd party solutions to this though. Try searching Handango for privacy software...

c38b2
02-25-2004, 01:44 AM
Palms have always had this functionality, FYI. :wink:

ojleblanc
02-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes, my Palm does this very well. In fact, there is little need for this functionality with Palms given the multitude of controls with PocketMirror (PM). PM lets me exclude entire categories from syncing with Outlook at work. So, I just put personal appointments in a 'Personal' category and tell PM not to sync that category. Works fabulously!

But I have not yet found any solution to my problem on the PPC side. I find this really astounding given that both the PPC and Outlook are Microsoft products. Doesn't Gates know folks would like to maintain some separation of work and private life?

I'll search Handango to see what else is out there. Thanks for both replies!

ctmagnus
02-26-2004, 05:00 AM
PM lets me exclude entire categories from syncing with Outlook at work. So, I just put personal appointments in a 'Personal' category and tell PM not to sync that category. Works fabulously!

But I have not yet found any solution to my problem on the PPC side.

ActiveSync does this natively.

ojleblanc
02-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks! I asked this question on a different forum and was told ActiveSync didn't do this at all. My earlier question was just a workaround idea. Good to know.