View Full Version : Music Player Help

hoffm11
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
I have PocketMusic and PocketPlayer for my IPAQ. I moved to PocketPlayer about a month ago because it seemed to be better player as far as skipping. Now I notice that PocketPlayer is skipping like crazy.

I bascially have been taking a CD and ripping through WMA to my harddrive and then transferring it to my SD and/or CF card and then playing it on my IPAQ.

I copied the same files to my hard drive and they don't skip with the Windows Media Player in XP.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 06:52 PM
I suggest moving the music off your SD card, doing a full format on it (not a quick format), then moving them back on. Give that a try!

hoffm11
02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
What can I use to do a format of the SD card? I have Resco File Explorer, but that seems to do a quick format. I did format both of my cards with that this morning and moved the files back onto them.

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 06:58 PM
What can I use to do a format of the SD card? I have Resco File Explorer, but that seems to do a quick format. I did format both of my cards with that this morning and moved the files back onto them.

Do you have a memory card reader for your desktop? Format them with Windows XP. Does this happen with multiple SD cards? Does Windows Media Player also skip? If so, it might be a hardware problem with your Pocket PC. Do you have access to a friends Pocket PC that you could use to test this with? Time to start eliminating variables. :-)

hoffm11
02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Jason,

I didn't know that I can format SD cards with XP using my reader. I will try that when I get a second.

I transferred the WMA files from my pocket pc to my desktop and I can play them great in Media Player in XP. I tried to play them with Pocket Media Player and they still do skip.

Thanks

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 07:10 PM
I didn't know that I can format SD cards with XP using my reader. I will try that when I get a second.

Sure, just right-click on the drive in My Computer, select Properties, then Tools, and you can do everything to your SD card that you can do to your hard drive. You might even want to try a bad sector scan on the memory card - it might be faulty.

hoffm11
02-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Jason,

I formatted my storage cards and the music is playing great on my pocket pc! Thanks for the information.

Jason Dunn
02-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I formatted my storage cards and the music is playing great on my pocket pc! Thanks for the information.

Good to hear. It sounds like there was massive fragmentation on the memory card, which is rare, but it does happen. Now you know how to fix it in the future. ;-)