View Full Version : New Motorola MPx Delivers Convergence Without Compromise for Mobile Professionals

Jason Dunn
02-23-2004, 10:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,3869_3244_23,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter...3244_23,00.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Today, Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT), a global leader in wireless, broadband and automotive communications technologies, announced the debut of the Motorola MPx — a revolutionary mobile device combining always-on connectivity in a never-before-seen form factor. The Motorola MPx brings real-time assistance to mobile professionals – at work, on the road, at home and at play.<br /><br />Part of the Motorola MOTOPro™ series of handsets featuring Microsoft Windows® Mobile software, the MPx delivers a radical new approach to communications for the mobile professional. The dual-hinge device opens both lengthways as a terrific clamshell phone and in landscape mode as an exceptional email device with a wide screen and full QWERTY keyboard. The model MPx accomplishes this with a familiar, easy-to-navigate interface like the one you’re used to on your Windows® office desktop."<br /><br />Looks like the Motorola MPx300 is really the MPx - no number attached. That lacks some marketing power in my view, but the specs more than make up for it.<br /><br />• "Microsoft Windows Mobile™ software allows compatibility with all Pocket PC applications<br />• Large dual hinge landscape and portrait color display for an enhanced experience for gaming, as well as viewing streaming video, photos, applications and more<br />• External color display for selecting MP3 music, etc.<br />• One of a kind stylish form factor optimized to consume convergence clutter<br />• Integrated 1.3 mega pixel camera for on-the-go photo capture<br />• 2.8” 240x320 TFT touch screen for easy data input that also works with a stylus<br />• Multi-function QWERTY keyboard for easy text entry and managing e-mail<br />• Embedded 802.11b wireless networking for high speed Wi-Fi access<br />• Integrated Bluetooth® technology for seamless connectivity with compatible devices<br />• Multi-Media Messaging Service (MMS) for sending photos, wallpaper, icons, ring tones and more<br />• SD/MMC slot allowing up to 1 GB of add-on memory for adding business applications, productivity tools, games and more<br />• IrDA (Infra red) and built-in "Active Sync" protocol to sync with Microsoft Outlook including email, address books, etc."<br /><br />The above features were grabbed from the Motorola <a href="http://www.motorola.com/mot/doc/1/1052_MotDoc.pdf">PDF document.</a> PPCW.net has some further information and <a href="http://www.ppcw.net/images/live/3gsm/">pictures</a> (although the pictures of <a href="http://www.ppcw.net/images/live/3gsm/thumbnail.php?image=/images/live/3gsm/DSCN2270.jpg&w=640&h=480">what I think is the MPx look very odd</a>). infoSync World has also <a href="http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4640.html">published a brief article on the unit</a>. All in all, this is perhaps the most innovative Pocket PC device ever released, and I applaud Motorola for pushing into a new realm of hardware design.

Paul
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
"second half of 2004" please come soon... :wink:

anthonymoody
02-23-2004, 10:52 PM
DROOL.

ME WANT. NOW.

TM

arnage2
02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
me want this one with nextel.

JonnoB
02-23-2004, 11:08 PM
me want this one with nextel.

I have Nextel too, but I would not count on this coming. I will likely switch from Nextel just because of the fact that the IDEN network seems to be slow in getting any good converged devices. I would bet T-Mobile or ATT first (in the US) as both are GSM/GPRS ready matching the specs of this hardware. This would be my device to buy today if it were available.

Jason Dunn
02-23-2004, 11:09 PM
I am absolutely, positively, DYING to get my hands on one of these! 8O

JonnoB
02-23-2004, 11:14 PM

I wouldn't go so far to say that I am dying to get one of these, but I might be willing to kill someone for one! :twisted:

Perry Reed
02-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Oh, man...

We're planning on switching from Sprint to T-Mobile in August when our Sprint contract is up and I had been assuming I'd buy the new iPaq (6600?)

Looks like now I'm going to have a tough choice...

Bob S
02-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Cingular - Pleeeeeese :D

Jonathon Watkins
02-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Nice, but this is the deal breaker for me: 2.8” 240x320 TFT touch screen

Nah - got my heart set on VGA. 8)

surur
02-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Way cool. This has near everything. The only outstanding question is speed of processor and memory, but Ill be willing to compromise on this for the form-factor and 3 wireless techs

Bring on second quarter :)

Surur

PS: Also a big raspberry to all those who analysed the initial pics and had clear "evidence" it was photo-chopped. Funny how they always disappear when the rumours and leaked pics are confirmed. (e.g the new ipaq)

JonnoB
02-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Nice, but this is the deal breaker for me: 2.8” 240x320 TFT touch screen

Nah - got my heart set on VGA. 8)

I believe the future will be resolution vs size. I can't imaging a 2.8" being a good form factor for a VGA screen.

johnm
02-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh yeah, finally a true convergence device. I can't wait. As for the screen size, I think that the trend to 2.8 - 3.0" screens for phones is a suitable compromise between the size of the device and usability. My main concern with such a small screen is that you wouldn't be able to use transcriber with it, but no need since it has a thumb-board. Also it is full PPC instead of Smartphone. Actually I'm trying hard to think of anything I want that it doesn't have.

JonnoB
02-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Actually I'm trying hard to think of anything I want that it doesn't have.

Well, if I wanted to be REALLY picky, I would say CF to hold my existing CF peripherals... but that would be a waste long-term. CF is just too big.

My current CF stuff:

Camera -> now integrated
Symbol WiFi -> now integrated
Memory -> going to SD anyway
GPS -> will use a BT version at some point

There is nothing that I have that can't be replaced using this new device.

powder2000
02-24-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm quite intrigued after looking at the ppcw.net photo of the keyboard layout. I moved my thumbs around and after motioning how I would use the keyboard, it doesn't feel that bad (for a right-hander). Try it out, you won't look to silly :oops: .

Phoenix
02-24-2004, 12:10 AM
This is an AMAZING device. Good grief. They succeeded in stuffing all that tech in there. Could this be convergence nirvana?

Great camera choice (no more of that VGA crap) along with flash! Trifecta wireless. Integrated keyboard (yeah!). Touchscreen and SD slot. Nice.

Clamshell form and dual hinges! - gotta love that.

Can you say "IMPATIENT"??? I know what I want for Christmas.

The screen wouldn't be any smaller than what's on my SE P900. That screen is 2.8" almost exactly. Granted, that's a little less spacious than what's on my iPAQ 2215, but who cares, really? With all of that tech temptation in such a cool form factor, I won't be crying about the screen, I can tell ya that. This is a device that would get some serious use.

Using this with T-Mo and "AYCE" GPRS - this device would be a Blackberry, Pocket PC, Smartphone, and a very decent digital camera all rolled into one, with WiFi and BT to round everything out.

Speaking of BT, my understanding (at least with Moto's V600 phone) is that Moto has one of the best implementations of BT around. Very strong signal, great sound, etc. If this phone has a similar install, we're all in for a real treat. Imagine using this MPx300 (or whatever its name will be) with a Nextlink Digital Bluespoon! This would be a killer setup!

Here's to hoping it's got a great XScale proc and even greater battery life. The RAM I'm sure won't disappoint - certainly no less than what's out there. Here's also to hoping that it will be capable of shooting a bit of video. It certainly would have the power to. Could a backlit keyboard be part of the design? This would be icing on the cake.

Motorola seems to be going for the jugular here. There coming back with a vegence to show everyone that they aren't yesteryear - that they're here to stay... and if this device lives up to its specs, they'll show the world it's true.

Can't wait.

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Nice, but this is the deal breaker for me: 2.8” 240x320 TFT touch screen. Nah - got my heart set on VGA. 8)

Can you imagine how tiny things would be on a 2.8" screen at 640 x 480? ;-) But yeah, 640x480 would be nice if the font and icon size didn't become too small...

Duncan
02-24-2004, 12:28 AM
As a smartphone this rocks. As an example of a Pocket PC manufacturer thinking differently it deserves a round of applause. As a Pocket PC in and of itself I have to say - not this time...

This may seem picky to some BUT the screen is too small, the hinge mechanism more gimmicky than genuinely useful/practical, the touch screen is going to be a pig to use in that form factor and my next PDA will have VGA and WM2004...

But yeah, if I was in the market for a smartphone that fulfilled the role of a PDA - I would be very tempted...

Jonathon Watkins
02-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Nice, but this is the deal breaker for me: 2.8” 240x320 TFT touch screen. Nah - got my heart set on VGA. 8)

Can you imagine how tiny things would be on a 2.8" screen at 640 x 480? ;-) But yeah, 640x480 would be nice if the font and icon size didn't become too small...

Yes, but, I *don't* want a smart phone. I want a Pocket PC - with a VGA screen, maybe 4 inches in size :wink: . I have a separate phone - small, dumb etc.

I'm with Duncan on this one. 8)

bkerrins
02-24-2004, 01:06 AM
I too hope Cingular supports this! Since they are bottom of the barrel in terms of customer service, I suspect I'll have to switch providers. Since I don't use my PPC to watch movies anyway, I'm OK with the smaller screen. I am just extremely happy to have a fully integrated device. I still have questions: Memory size and battery life?

JustinGTP
02-24-2004, 01:46 AM

So I suppose we would have to get one through Tek 'n Toys?

Jonathon Watkins
02-24-2004, 01:57 AM

What do *you* think Justin? Give them time to actually get it in stock. :lol: They'll be available all over the place no doubt - but if I was in Canada then Tek 'n Toys would definitely be at the top of *my* shortlist of places to get them from. Patience...........

nosmohtac
02-24-2004, 02:35 AM
I'm very surprised, that with the specs given, there is no mention of RAM.

How much RAM?
In my opinion, it would need to be more than 64 to cause my drool meter to jump.
It's still great to see Motorola come up with such a unique and seemingly useful design.

JonnoB
02-24-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm very surprised, that with the specs given, there is no mention of RAM.

How much RAM?
In my opinion, it would need to be more than 64 to cause my drool meter to jump.
It's still great to see Motorola come up with such a unique and seemingly useful design.

64 is the bare minimum, and after constantly running out, I went and got the PPCTech upgrade to my 2215 to have 128mb. I think the amount may very well vary depending on the type of CPU and what the carrier may be willing to pay. I would say to any carrier that 64mb is the minimum and 128mb is the preferred. Heck, if priced reasonably, I would take 256mb !!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see other specs such as CPU also be dependant on the carrier's willingness to pay. All of these could be variable yet. It is also conceivable that Moto has not made up its mind yet!

whydidnt
02-24-2004, 02:47 AM
:jawdrop: :clap:
THIS is my dream device. I have been dreaming of a convergence device like this for 2 years - ever since I first got the Samsung I300. Finally it looks my wish has come true. WOO HOO!!!

2nd Half of 2004 can't come soon enough IMO.

yslee
02-24-2004, 06:43 AM
More sleepless nights lie ahead.. 8O

Fishie
02-24-2004, 09:34 AM

Yes, but, I *don't* want a smart phone. I want a Pocket PC - with a VGA screen, maybe 4 inches in size :wink: . I have a separate phone - small, dumb etc.

I'm with Duncan on this one. 8)

A PPC with 4inch screen and VGA, hmm I have one.

yslee
02-24-2004, 09:43 AM
http://www.ppcw.net/images/live/3gsm/thumbnail.php?image=/images/live/3gsm/DSCN2270.jpg&w=640&h=480

Ack, it looks like a brick here. Motorola can't decide on the form factor? =P

JonnoB
02-24-2004, 05:13 PM
http://www.ppcw.net/images/live/3gsm/thumbnail.php?image=/images/live/3gsm/DSCN2270.jpg&w=640&h=480

Ack, it looks like a brick here. Motorola can't decide on the form factor? =P

According to estimated measurements, it is a bit thick, but small in length in width (relatively)... personally. I think the form looks just about perfect. A device can be too thin you know.

yslee
02-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Ok, more photos are on the site, I think the new photos are more like the ones in the press release ie. very nice!

Scott R
02-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Very interesting device, except for the following:

1) Screen too small. At 2.8" it's going to be a pain tapping on on-screen buttons, scroll bars, etc. This was the same concern I raised about the e805.

2) Thumbboard keys look kinda small and what's with the freaky curve in the layout? I'll hold off final judgement until I can play with one first-hand, but I'm very skeptical of the usability here.

An additional concern (for me) is the fact that it's not Sprint or Verizon. GSM coverage in my area is poor.

Scott

Jonathon Watkins
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
1) Screen too small. At 2.8" it's going to be a pain tapping on on-screen buttons, scroll bars, etc. This was the same concern I raised about the e805.

Pardon? :?: At 4 inches the e805 screen is too small!???? :crazyeyes:

denethor
02-24-2004, 06:15 PM
What the hell Motorola!
Where is integrated GPS and 802.11G :mrgreen:

:jawdrop: I am ready to buy this beauty. Keep going Motorola thank you for this dream device.

Scott R
02-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Pardon? :?: At 4 inches the e805 screen is too small!???? :crazyeyes:It's not too small at the standard 240x320 resolution, it's too small at 640x480. The on-screen "widgets" (buttons, scroll bars, etc.) don't automatically resize. I haven't been following the developments, but I think I heard that one of the apps designed for the e805 would let you increase the size of some (all?) of those things. If so, that would certainly help. The bottom line is that the e805 is still stylus-centric. Heck, even on my 3.5" diagonal HP iPaq h4155 I had to adjust somewhat to the smaller widgets. My previous PPC was the iPaq 3630 which had a 3.8" screen.

Now, for this Motorola device, the decreased screen size could (hopefully) be overcome somewhat if they've worked to integrate the thumbboard and D-Pad into the entire OS and standard apps, such that you don't need to use the stylus as much (along the lines of what Handspring did with the Treo 600). Of course, that's fine for the stock apps, but when you start using the bulk of the existing library of PPC apps, I imagine you'll find yourself needing to pull out the stylus. On a 2.8" screen, trying to tap on tiny buttons and scroll bars could be aggravating.

Another example: I access the mobile version of one of my sites with my h4155. Some of my links (the page numbers in the phpBB forums) use a very small font. This is good in that it allows me to view a lot more information per screen, but I have trouble tapping on the page numbers quite often. And that's with a 3.5" screen at 240x320 resolution. Again though, if they do a decent job of integrating the thumbboard and D-Pad into the OS, this particular example could be a non-issue. While I ultimately decided that HP's snap-on thumbboard for the iPaq was too small and uncomfortable, I will say that they did a very good job of integrating pretty much all of the functionality you'd need to tab from link to link, scroll up/down, select links, etc. all without needing to use the stylus.

Scott

Duncan
02-24-2004, 10:24 PM
An additional concern (for me) is the fact that it's not Sprint or Verizon. GSM coverage in my area is poor.

In fairness though CDMA is a tiny part of the world market (circa. 170 million phones worldwide compared to over 1 billion for GSM) so GSM/GPRS is bound to get first look-in if Motorola wants to get the best return on what must be major R&D costs. Give it some time and if it sells well then a CDMA version may well be forthcoming...

JustinGTP
02-26-2004, 04:13 AM

What do *you* think Justin? Give them time to actually get it in stock. :lol: They'll be available all over the place no doubt - but if I was in Canada then Tek 'n Toys would definitely be at the top of *my* shortlist of places to get them from. Patience...........

No, I was referring to this because there are no service providers in Canada that do Smartphones - only regular phones. So we dont get the deals :(

-Justin.

ctmagnus
02-26-2004, 05:50 AM
No, I was referring to this because there are no service providers in Canada that do Smartphones - only regular phones. So we dont get the deals :(

-Justin.

Jason has a Smartphone. Maybe he should chime in here. But knowing him, he probably got it unlocked somewhere so he could use it on Fido. Dunno about Fido's coverage in Springbank, though. You might be on the fringe there.

essopremium
02-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Two things:

First, I would imagine that these products will not be available as projected "in the second half of 2004", and secondly, and the showstopper, will be Motorola's failure to integrate the "hands-free" Bluetooth profile in either device, which will render them useless with any hands-free Bluetooth link automobile, such as the Acura TL, and some BMW's, equipped to handshake seamlessly with a hands-free Bluetooth profile enabled phone, such as the Nokia 3650, and Sony Ericsson T610 and T616.

This will be a shamelessly cynical marketing ploy designed by Motorola to shoehorn consumers into purchasing a separate proprietary "car-kit" in order to use these otherwise spectacularly featured phones "hands-free".

Many people don't understand, nor do they comprehend the byzantine connotations and structure of the Bluetooth v1.1 profile protocol stack. While many manufacturers of mobile phones that include "Bluetooth" prominently advertise and tout Bluetooth connectivity, what they don't specify is the quantity and specificity of what Bluetooth PROFILES their devices contain.

What this means is, you could purchase a "Bluetooth" phone, expecting to easily transfer data and voice between similarly equipped devices, however, if the phone you buy does not contain the specific Bluetooth PROFILE designed to interface with your particular need, you're completely stranded.

Motorola could easily engineer all of the current Bluetooth profiles that are associated with the technology, but, you read it here first...they won't.

I hope I'm wrong. Either the MPx or the MPx100 with the "hands-free" Bluetooth profile will be the ultimate convergent device.