View Full Version : AIIEEEE! Milk facts run wild! What do you drink or use?

ironguy
02-23-2004, 10:00 PM
First off, I hit new topic instead of reply...(d'oh)

Regarding milk...
OK, let's quit throwing around numbers and find some facts...

After looking around, it appears as though whole milk, by definition, has about 3.25% fat per serving, or 8 grams. Here's the clip from the FDA.

Whole milk normally contains 3.25 percent milkfat or 8 grams of fat per serving.

I looked at different manufacturers and have seen percentages from 3.2 - 3.9%.

So, if whole milk is 3.25%, what is the percentage difference between that and 2%? It's 38.25%.

Whew? Are we done yet? I need a drink... of milk (non-fat of course, with a big chunk of warm chocolate cake - no icing).

JonnoB
02-23-2004, 10:14 PM
For years, I drank only whole milk... I still prefer it. I am now attempting to change my diet to reach my weight/strength goals and one of the things that went out was whole milk. I will not however, drink that white-colored water some people call skim milk. ewwwww. It is low-fat 2% for me now.

Janak Parekh
02-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Ironguy, just to complicate things... most stores have "whole", 2%, 1%, and skim. ;)

That said, we also now use 2%. I find the taste to be very close to whole milk as it is... while skim is terrible -- I can't take it at all.

--janak

JustinGTP
02-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Yes, we have 1% milk, so I didn't see an option for that up there :?

Pat Logsdon
02-24-2004, 01:00 AM
I drink lactose-free 2% milk. Regular milk makes my tummy hurt. :mrgreen:

Skim milk should not be allowed.

Video11
02-24-2004, 01:59 AM
Sorry, can't vote. We drink 1% Milk. Better tasting than skim and better for you (fat wise) than whole milk.

And it comes in bags, but that will drag the thread seriously off topic. :wink:

Falstaff
02-24-2004, 02:38 AM
I'vealways drank skim milk, I can't stand whole and 2%. I guess it's just because I'm used to it though.

Sven Johannsen
02-24-2004, 04:28 AM
Haven't drunk milk since I was weened. Have you seen where that stuff comes from? Beer my friends, has no fat at all.

Pat Logsdon
02-24-2004, 04:34 AM
Beer my friends, has no fat at all.
True, but I've found that it doesn't go particularly well with Lucky Charms... :mrgreen:

buckyg
02-24-2004, 04:37 AM
I prefer whole milk, though I haven't had much since I was a kid. Not lactose intolerant, but too much milk doesn't help the ol' allergies.

The boss, er, wife always buys 2%. I couldn't believe it tonight at the grocery store, though: she picked up a gallon of 2% milk and then she picked up a half-gallon of WHOLE chocolate milk. Who was I to point it out to her?

pdclarkipaq
02-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Just switched to Medow Gold VIVA Skim Delight. It's 1%, looks and tastes good. It has Carrageenan which is "not present in regular milk". I hope that's not a bad thing.

ironguy
02-24-2004, 07:07 PM
SOrry about the 1%. We use non-fat milk at home. I generally don't drink milk as I was born with animal milk allergies (raised on soy milk - blech). Now I can drink milk but sometimes it makes me wheeze and go potty really bad.... sorry, TMI :oops:

anyway we started our kids on non-fat when they were a few years old. We started with whole, then went to 2, then 1, then non-fat. Now that's what we drink.

My daughter used to drink the little 1/2 and 1/2 coffee things at restaurants. She's outgrown that but it makes me wonder where cream, 1/2 and 1/2 and buttermilk fall into the 'fat' of this.

Someone wanna look it up?
:?:

Sven Johannsen
02-25-2004, 04:15 AM
Beer my friends, has no fat at all.
True, but I've found that it doesn't go particularly well with Lucky Charms... :mrgreen:

That's not what me Irish friends say. Of course, we be talkin' Murphy's stout, not that Clydesdale byproduct. :mrgreen:

buckyg
02-25-2004, 04:40 AM
One summer while in college, I stayed with my grandparents.

Breakfast was usually cereal. Now, when I was growing up and stayed with them, we always had milk with cereal. But that summer, I'm not sure who had the strangest look on their face the first day we had cereal for breakfast: me, or either of my grandparents.

"Where's the milk?"
"Why? You don't need milk, we use this non-dairy creamer"

ironguy
02-25-2004, 05:30 PM
As long as we're straying here, my wife used to make beer floats.

Really! 8O

Fill a large mug with beer and plop a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it.

I tried it.. once. What a waste of beer... and ice cream. :cry:

ntractv
02-25-2004, 05:35 PM
I just started drinking Soy milk. It's not bad, kinda vanilla flavored.

famousdavis
02-25-2004, 05:35 PM
As long as we're straying here, my wife used to make beer floats.

Really! 8O

Fill a large mug with beer and plop a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it.

I tried it.. once. What a waste of beer... and ice cream. :cry:

Ahhh, but root beer and ice cream, that's another story altogether!! :D

ironguy
02-25-2004, 10:40 PM
When I was little we used to mix root beer and milk, or Pepsi and milk. Kinda the cheap float without anything floating. My parents told me that it was an oldie thing to do. I don't know of anyone that does it anymore. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
When I was little we used to mix root beer and milk, or Pepsi and milk. Kinda the cheap float without anything floating. My parents told me that it was an oldie thing to do. I don't know of anyone that does it anymore. :roll:

That's called a Black Cow isn't it? There are lots of 50's diner type places popping up. I bet they make them.

ironguy
02-26-2004, 05:24 PM
I think the root beer and milk is a brown cow and pepsi/coke with milk is a black cow.

Maybe this thread will start a retro return to this once popular favorite.

...it'll be tough to compete with Starbucks, Peets and Jamba Juice though :!: