View Full Version : Where did my main memory go??

karinatwork
02-23-2004, 07:04 PM
I am desperatly looking for the main memory on my h4150. It seems I am getting less and less, but I have been so careful about only installing the mimimum in programs into the main memory. I also am very careful about making sure that there is not too much crap in my My Documents folder, but I have to keep the files there that I need to sync.

Even after a soft reset, I only get about 2 Mb back. I don't know where else to look. My main memory is dropping every day, I am already down to 20 Mb and it goes down steady. As I said, soft resets don't seem to work much, I even use Remover a lot to get rid of all the cached files.

Help! :confused totally:

K.

D.psi
02-23-2004, 07:35 PM
How often do you soft reset your PPC? This may sound like a silly question, but unless you have some of the after-market bugfixing software, the database used to store the alarms can in some situations increase in size for every soft reset (some claim doubling after soft reset). So the more you reset your PPC, the more its memory will shrink (this was reported specifically for 221x's as I recall).

I'm looking for the thread that discussed this... While doing so, I found this thread for an axim user that had similar problems (I know this is in the Ipaq forum)...
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22779

They do refer to an app for cleaning up the db there.

Steven Cedrone
02-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Take a look at your temp files! Also, try a program called WIMR? (Where is my RAM) (http://mypaq.net/mysoftware/wimr/index.shtml)

Steve

karinatwork
02-23-2004, 07:43 PM
With WIMR I found out that my Windows folder is as big as 15 Mb!! More then half of it is used up by a huge file folder called "Profiles", with over 8 Mb!!!!
But when I use the File Explorer, it shows up empty!

What's this "Profile" folder, and how can I get rid of it??

Thanks!

K.

Steven Cedrone
02-23-2004, 08:00 PM
On my device, inside the "profiles" directory: A directory for "Guest" Within guest: cookies, history, and temporary internet files...

Steve

wocket
02-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Give pocket cleaner plus a whirl

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/pocketcleanerplus.shtml

It clears out temp files, internet temp files, cookies etc

You could also try pocket mechanic. Clearing out unused registry entries screwed a few thing up on me though so be a bit more careful.

If you use AvantGo and have a lot of channels that can also take up a bit of room. Use something like RegKing to move them onto a storage card.

karinatwork
02-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks, but can I just delete the whole thing, or just the temp or what? Don't want to mess up anything!

Thanks!

Pat Logsdon
02-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't delete the folders, just go into them, select all the files, and then delete. It won't let you delete the index.dat files, and that's all PIE really needs.

You can also clear some of those files from within PIE. Just tap "Tools", "Options", and hit the "Delete Files" button. I also set my saved link history to "0" days.

wocket
02-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Yeah it's perfectly safe to delete the profiles folder.

A new one gets created again.

torgamm
02-23-2004, 08:12 PM
You can use PIE to clean it.
In this Profile directory, you have 3 sub-directories:
- Cookies
- History
- Temporary internet files
Only the last one may be using a lot of RAM.
Best way to clean it is opening PIE, then Tools, Options and you have a button "Delete Files".

karinatwork
02-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Give pocket cleaner plus a whirl

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/pocketcleanerplus.shtml

It clears out temp files, unternet temp files, cookies etc

You could also try pocket mechanic. Clearing out unused registry entries screwed a few thing up on me though so be a bit more careful.

If you use AvantGo and have a lot of channels that can also take up a bit of room. Use something like RegKing to move them onto a storage card.

That really worked well. It's looking much better already!

Thanks a bunch to everyone for your help!!! I wish I would be able to get rid of all the other stuff in my 7 Mb Windows folder, but I guess I better don't delete any of that!! ;)

K

Ripper014
02-23-2004, 09:05 PM
May I ask you a question...? What are you doing with a Hp4150...? I thought you had a child to feed etc...? Didn't you have a Hp1910...?

karinatwork
02-23-2004, 09:12 PM
My son is fine and very well fed, thank you very much. :)

I thank for your interest which I presume is driven by your concerns about me blowing my household money on some unnecessary gadget... but somehow I have a hard time to finding a reason why I should communicate you my justifications for upgrading my h1910.

Any more questions? ;)

K.

ombu
02-23-2004, 09:38 PM
My son is fine and very well fed, thank you very much. :)

I thank for your interest which I presume is driven by your concerns about me blowing my household money on some unnecessary gadget... but somehow I have a hard time to finding a reason why I should communicate you my justifications for upgrading my h1910.

Any more questions? ;)

K.

:rotfl:

drop
02-23-2004, 10:02 PM
My next purchase would definitely has 128MB. Or of a model that PPCTechs could doctor it to 128MB for me.

I just installed Gilbert Goodmate and its 79.8MB full speech file on my SD card. Then I find my Main storage dropped to alarming 6.6MB 8O because of that (Why? It was at ~14MB before the install). I had to delete some of my show-off apps to raise it to a meager 8.7MB.

karinatwork, I was doing WIMR repeatedly this weekend as well, trying to find several kb here and there that I could part with.

Ripper014
02-24-2004, 01:52 AM
Well.. I was just interested in what you were doing with your Hp1910... my brother was looking into dipping his toes into the PPC waters... but I am not as interested now...

Thanks...

Dave Potter
02-24-2004, 02:58 AM
But seriously karinatwork - when did you upgrade? And why?

I only ask because I just upgraded from a 1935 to a 4150 about 2 weeks ago. My reasons are simple - I just couldn't resist the integrated WiFi and BT? Curious if your reasons resemble mine?

(P.S. I have two daughters who are also well fed and clothed! :D :lol: :D )

karinatwork
02-24-2004, 04:58 AM
But seriously karinatwork - when did you upgrade? And why?

I only ask because I just upgraded from a 1935 to a 4150 about 2 weeks ago. My reasons are simple - I just couldn't resist the integrated WiFi and BT? Curious if your reasons resemble mine?

(P.S. I have two daughters who are also well fed and clothed! :D :lol: :D )

Well, I think I just outgrew the h1910. This was the second pocket pc that I bought, and both times I made the mistake to fall for the beautiful screen, and not to consider the other options. My first pocket pc was a Casio E-125, and of course, the beautiful screen was the biggest seller for me. The second one my h1910 which again I bought for its beautiful screen. Other reasons for this purchase were the form factor (which was a massive downgrade from the bricklike size of the E-125 to the really small and light form of the h1910), and because I wasn't able to upgrade the OS in the E-125. But as I said, I made the same mistake, not being able to upgrade the device when a new OS comes out, so that meant the end of my h1910. One big reason for me to upgrade was the problem I was having to run video on it. I have some really great little movies of my son, and some Photostories made up of our trips, but I wasn't able to run them on the h1910 (not without a whole pile of encoding and other things I'm not fit to do). The h4150 can show those clips out of the box.

I still think that the h1910 is a wonderful machine. For what I needed it initially it was great, and the touchscreen responsiveness and the colours of the screen are far superior to the h4150. But the possibilities with the h4150 are ENDLESS!

It has the great form factor of the h1910, and it has a whole bunch of more features (just to mention a few: SDIO, BT, WIFI). I think we all outgrow our devices sooner or later. We work and play with them, we come here to learn more, and soon our needs are different, and we are looking for more options.

It took me a few weeks to get used to the different screen. As I said, the responsiveness is not as great, and the yellow hue was really bad at the beginning. I upgraded about 5 weeks ago, and it was tough to get used to it. But now I wouldn't want to go back.

As soon as my new case arrives, I am going to put my h1910 up for sale on Ebay. That's what I did with my E-125 and both the buyer and I ended up being happy about the deal we got. So I am hoping that I will be able to find a good home for my beloved h1910. My husband just doesn't want anything to do with those things. Oh well. :)

These are pretty much my reasons. Didn't want to offend Ripper, his question just was formulated a little ... awkward. But I put some smilies in my response for a reason. :)

Dave Potter
02-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Hmmmm... 'outgrew your 1910'. I like the way you phrased that. Me too with my 1935. I had added SDIO BT and WiFi - but it still seemed limited. I love being able to leave a SD memory card in the unit AND use WiFi or BT at the same time.

Jacob
02-24-2004, 05:40 AM
Interesting Karina, I just upgraded from the 1910 and I found the screen on the 4155 to be more responsive - the right side of the 1910 was always not very responsive.

It is a great upgrade though :)

ombu
02-24-2004, 05:52 AM
I am going to put my h1910 up for sale on Ebay. .
Yep, and get the money to feed your baby. :rotfl:

D.psi
02-24-2004, 05:01 PM
For what it's worth, the responsiveness of the touch screen may well be dependent on the device assembly (i.e. varies from device to device for the same model).

One of our unfortunate products does use touch screens, and as a cost saving measure, no shims were placed between the touch panel and device edge. Depending on how the device was installed, and how tight it was torqued down, then it sometimes had the touch panel registering along one edge or another.

I know it's a pain, but if the device is less responsive, it may be worth while asking for a warranty replacement device, due to a manufacturing defect.

My $.02.

D.psi

Dave Potter
02-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Karina -I just realized that you'll also be able to use your Proporta flip case with your 4150! Same as me!

BTW - how do you like the Proporta flip case?