View Full Version : What is iPAQ File Store and iPAQ backup ??

fivepetpalace
02-23-2004, 06:43 PM
OK,

What is iPAQ File Store?

Does iPAQ Backup Backup (the basic installed version) everything on my PPC ?

thanks,
Michael

shawnc
02-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I had this same question myself. AFAIK it stores data/programs is ROM. This way you don't lose it during a hard-reset.

Man, you guys are going to turn me into a "techie" yet :mrgreen: !

Steven Cedrone
02-23-2004, 06:55 PM
OK,

What is iPAQ File Store?

Does iPAQ Backup Backup (the basic installed version) everything on my PPC ?

thanks,
Michael

A portion of ROM set aside for you to use to store sensitive data (Ie: contacts) that will survive a Hard Reset (size depends on what type of iPaq you have)

Ipaq backup will backup everything on your Pocket PC (but not what is on your storage cards)

Steve

Sven Johannsen
02-23-2004, 07:08 PM
The ROM in most PPCs is bigger than what the in-ROM OS and applications require. Most PPC OEMs have provided the opportunity to use the extra space as user accessible ROM storage. That has ranged from ~4M on some of the new iPAQs to 24M (IIRC) on the Dell X5. That is persistent storage, i.e. it survives a hard reset, however the program entries in the registry, which are required for applications to run, and possibly some support files are loaded in ROM, which does not survive the hard reset. So, while the programs will still be there, you will likely need to reload them to use them.

Important personal data files are more appropriate on the 'file store', as these will remain and be accessible, as long as the program to use them is in ROM. Cab files to reload applications are also a good candidate for file stores. You may have that essential e-Wallet file in the file store, and the cab for e-Wallet. That way if you hard reset in the field, and have no other option, at least you can get that program reloaded and access that info.

Be aware that there seem to be some sever consequences to filling up the file store. The OS doesn't seem to like that to the point of requireing a hard reset in some instances. Personally with only 4M on the iPAQs, I just leave that area alone, where I did make some good use of it on my Axim.

Ipaq, backup will backup whatever you tell it too. I would suggest that anything that is on persistent memory, CF, SD, file store, doesn't need to be backed up. At least not in this way. You can always just make a copy of files on that sort of media directly, by dragging them to a folder on your hard drive. Keep in mind that a backup of your SD card to a backup file on the SD card is not much insurance. If you want to do a backup of everything, you definately need to do it to some other media, such as your PC, or if you have a dual slot device, to media in the other slot. For example, if you have a 2215, and primarily use the SD slot for memory expansion, you could get a big CF card and back up the whole kit and kaboodle, file store, RAM, PIM, whole SD card, etc, to the CF.

Steve, doesn't the built in backup on ipaqs let you backup flash cards? I have Sprite's full product loaded so I forget. I thought the lite version just didn't have some of the scheduling and PC backup capabilities of the full version

Steven Cedrone
02-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Steve, doesn't the built in backup on ipaqs let you backup flash cards? I have Sprite's full product loaded so I forget. I thought the lite version just didn't have some of the scheduling and PC backup capabilities of the full version

You are absolutely correct sir! (So much for my memory. I have the full version as well and have it so that I don't even see persistant storage - guess I should have looked at the Ipaq version :wink: )

The preloaded version does let you back up your CF/SD as well...

Steve

Jacob
02-23-2004, 07:49 PM
A portion of ROM set aside for you to use to store sensitive data (Ie: contacts) that will survive a Hard Reset (size depends on what type of iPaq you have)

I know this is a little OT, but how do you set it up to store your contacts, etc.. on the file store?

SHoTTa35
02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
you don't.. you backup to the IPAQ filestore... Outlook stores them in the Databases area set aside for that.

fivepetpalace
02-23-2004, 07:58 PM
so if i've got this right my 4155 has:

64MB of memory total

7.23 MB of which is ROM
2.85MB of the Rom is iPAQ file store

56.77 MB is Program and Storage Memory

I haven't decided what to put in file store yet, something valuable needs to go there though. I can't have 2.85 MB of Rom left unused :lol:

I've messed around with the backup. The rom version only backs up to iPAQ file store, or a storage card. There's some Backup stuff on the CD, but I think it is a trial version, I'll check this out some more.

My plan for now is to backup to a storage card, and then copy all storage cards to my hard drive via card reader.

thanks for replys,
Michael

Sven Johannsen
02-24-2004, 04:56 AM
No, actually your 4155 has 64M of RAM and 32M of ROM, or thereabouts.
The ROM is filled up with the OS and apps like Word, Excell, Reader, iPaq Viewer, etc. All those things that were there when you got it out of the box. There is about 2.85M left on ROM after all the stock stuff and it is available to you as iPaq File Store.

You have supposedly 64M of RAM, but for some reason only 56.77 M show up as usable. I can't explain that one anymore, and just chalk it up to, that's the way it is. Maybe someone else can. The difference though has nothing to do with the file store.

RAM is then divided up into Program and Storage. Right off, Program memory has to be used to run some bits of the OS. Storage memory is where things like your PIM data resides, and of course the file structure to hold it. So even with the 56.77M total out of the box, you don't get half and half, even the first time you turn it on. So you start filling out the Program memory with things that you have running all the time, like Calligrapher or Today screen enhabcements, and the things like that tend to want to be installed to the Storage memory in RAM, to ensure loading at startup (soft reset), before the storage card drivers are available.

Brad Adrian
02-24-2004, 05:05 AM
I haven't decided what to put in file store yet, something valuable needs to go there though.
I generally reserve that spot for special drivers and a few applications that are most important. For example, I put Stowaway keyboard and WiFi card drivers there and Spb Pocket Plus.

lerakd
02-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Is there a way to "restore" the iPaq to the identical settings it was last at prior to the synch problem? Back-up won't do it, b/c if I have a problem synchng, I won't be able to access back-up
While back-up is a great place to be able to store info/data you may otherwise lose, I am generally not concerned b/c I sync with Outlook where all contacts, memos and calendar are kept.
Nevertheless at times, I've needed to hard reset b/c after some adjustment my iPaq stops synching, or active sync won't recognize my iPaq.

Sven Johannsen
02-26-2004, 07:42 PM
If you back up to a PC, and hard reset, then you connect the 'new' Pocket PC to the PC as a guest, not as a new partner. You run the restore, and after you soft reset, the PPC is back to the way it was when you backed up. The partnership will be as it was, but certainly things will have changed, unless you backed up and then immediately did a hard reset. Changes will have been made that will look like the PC version of info is newer than the PPC version as the backup data is tagged as being at an earlier time. This sometimes results in data being misinterpreted as being different and causing dups in PIM entries.

If you have the option of backing up to a flash card, Sprite Backup, at least, will let you create a self restoring executable backup file. You hard reset the PPC, navigate to the Backup.exe file that was created by the backup process and run it. It restores the PPC back to the state it was when the backup was created, with the same caveats as above. This option is certainly preferable, as you could be in a rowboat in the middle of a lake and hard reset and restore if need be.

tewmgd
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM
I believe that the ROM can be written a limited number of times no ? So I have an advice don't use you ipaq file store files that you update often.

My2cents,

kage26
03-04-2004, 06:31 PM
so, if i put my today plugins in file store willthe run properly after hard reset w/o me having to reload them? thanks so much!

The ROM in most PPCs is bigger than what the in-ROM OS and applications require. Most PPC OEMs have provided the opportunity to use the extra space as user accessible ROM storage. That has ranged from ~4M on some of the new iPAQs to 24M (IIRC) on the Dell X5. That is persistent storage, i.e. it survives a hard reset, however the program entries in the registry, which are required for applications to run, and possibly some support files are loaded in ROM, which does not survive the hard reset. So, while the programs will still be there, you will likely need to reload them to use them.

Important personal data files are more appropriate on the 'file store', as these will remain and be accessible, as long as the program to use them is in ROM. Cab files to reload applications are also a good candidate for file stores. You may have that essential e-Wallet file in the file store, and the cab for e-Wallet. That way if you hard reset in the field, and have no other option, at least you can get that program reloaded and access that info.

Be aware that there seem to be some sever consequences to filling up the file store. The OS doesn't seem to like that to the point of requireing a hard reset in some instances. Personally with only 4M on the iPAQs, I just leave that area alone, where I did make some good use of it on my Axim.

Ipaq, backup will backup whatever you tell it too. I would suggest that anything that is on persistent memory, CF, SD, file store, doesn't need to be backed up. At least not in this way. You can always just make a copy of files on that sort of media directly, by dragging them to a folder on your hard drive. Keep in mind that a backup of your SD card to a backup file on the SD card is not much insurance. If you want to do a backup of everything, you definately need to do it to some other media, such as your PC, or if you have a dual slot device, to media in the other slot. For example, if you have a 2215, and primarily use the SD slot for memory expansion, you could get a big CF card and back up the whole kit and kaboodle, file store, RAM, PIM, whole SD card, etc, to the CF.

Ripper014
03-04-2004, 08:55 PM
I believe that the ROM can be written a limited number of times no ? So I have an advice don't use you ipaq file store files that you update often.

Though this is essentially a true statement... the number of rewrites will out-last your PocketPC is it not something you need to worry about...

I agree the best and easiest way to back-up your PocketPC is something in the lines of the Ipaq Back-up... (Sprite Back-up)... it allows you to fully restore your PocketPC... or just restore what you want... I personally keep my current back-up on a storage card in case of emergencies (if I am not at home with my computer)... my old back-ups stay stored on my desktop machine at home...

Just remember to merge your data when you first sync with your desktop after a restore...