View Full Version : Map programs that allow custom maps??

lazerin
02-23-2004, 06:00 AM
I'm looking for a map program which will allow me to add/create my own maps for navigation without a gps. All I want it to do is to act like a paper map which I can move around etc. I can't seem to find any software which allows the user to create their own maps from images etc. Does anyone know of some?

jimski
02-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Do you want to actually create (like in draw) your own map, or do you want to scan a map to a JPG file for example and move it/zoome in/out, etc. You can do the scan thing with something like Repligo.

But if you are just looking to generate maps for specific areas, why not use Pocket Streets. You can view a map on your desktop and then select a specific area of a map. You draw a suqre/rectangle around the area of interest. This can be as large as a state or as small as a city block. After selecting, you can save to PPC and on the next sync, your map is there.

dhettel
02-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Do you want to actually create (like in draw) your own map, or do you want to scan a map to a JPG file for example and move it/zoome in/out, etc. You can do the scan thing with something like Repligo.

But if you are just looking to generate maps for specific areas, why not use Pocket Streets. You can view a map on your desktop and then select a specific area of a map. You draw a suqre/rectangle around the area of interest. This can be as large as a state or as small as a city block. After selecting, you can save to PPC and on the next sync, your map is there.

As large as a state? Not my state! Not Ohio. Not as large as half of the state. Not really large enough to cover two major cities, say Cincinnati, and Columbus.

lazerin
02-23-2004, 08:47 AM
I'll have a look at Repligo. Pocket Streets doesn't work for me because it doesn't have maps for Australia....or does it?

dhettel
02-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Sorry no maps for Australia, that I know of. Sorry