View Full Version : Symbol Releases Compact Flash WiFi Driver For Pocket PC 2003

Ed Hansberry
02-23-2004, 10:00 AM
<a href="http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/dl_spec24_mobcompanion.html">http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/dl_spec24_mobcompanion.html</a><br /><br />"Mobile Companion Client Software Bundle* (Driver, Firmware, Utility)<br />Supports Wireless Networker™ WLAN adapters. Models: LA-4121 PC Card Adapter; LA 4123 PCI Adapter and the CompactFlash™ Card on Windows 2000, XP and Pocket PC 2003.<br />The Mobile Companion Client Software Bundle includes drivers, integrated firmware, and the Mobile Companion utility for network configuration and monitoring.* For the LA-4121 and LA-4123 adapters, the driver will automatically update firmware to the most recent version.* For the LA-4137, the firmware is integrated into the driver."<br /><br />Are they really just now getting around to this? Socket had theirs out concurrently with the Windows Mobile 2003 launch.<br /><br /><b><span style="color:red">Update:</span></b> For unknown reasons, this update has been pulled. Let us know if it gets put back up or if the link has just changed.

echo
02-23-2004, 10:52 AM
where do i get one of those compact flast?

Anthony Caruana
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Just wondering...isn't the Socket card the same as the Symbol card?

I recall that it is. So I'm just backing up my PPC and going to try the updated driver out to see if it offers anything special.

Still got a while till the backup's done so any advice by the experts out there will be appreciated

moaske
02-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Ha, lets hope they have an XP driver out soon... ;) :rotfl:

DualShock
02-23-2004, 03:12 PM

Check out my post here at Brighthand:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?threadid=100987

It also includes a 2000 and XP driver.

Also, the new driver supports WiFi Protected Access (WPA) in TKIP mode only for WM2003, Win2000, and WinXP. I've tried it out on my 2215 and my Win2000 laptop, and it works great with both.

nutzareus
02-23-2004, 04:40 PM
When I upgraded to WM 2003 on my iPAQ 3835, the 802.11b on my Symbol barcode scanner SPS 3000 quit working apparently due to driver incompatibility. When I installed these drivers a week ago, the new Spectrum24 drivers work now!

David Johnston
02-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Just wondering...isn't the Socket card the same as the Symbol card?

I'm using the Socket drivers with a Symbol card on my 2215, so I assume so :)

Sven Johannsen
02-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Are they really just now getting around to this? Socket had theirs out concurrently with the Windows Mobile 2003 launch.

Yes, and that is why I have gone with Socket on most of my CF peripherals. They seem extremely proactive in getting new (and improved) drivers out. Fortunately the Socket drivers also work on the Symbol CF card I got early on. Only thing the Symbol drivers could do for me was to provide a software off for the card, so I wouldn't have to pull it to shut of WiFi. I notice they do include XP and 2000 drivers which Socket never has for their WiFi CF card, AFAIK. I would expect the new Symbol drivers would work on a Socket card as well if they have something to offer.

I'm sure we'll get lots of input on what has been tried and does or does not work. That's one of the great things about these forums. There are lots of masochists that will risk their PPCs to see if something works, ;)

moaske
02-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Check out my post here at Brighthand:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?threadid=100987
It also includes a 2000 and XP driver.
Also, the new driver supports ....
I don't know what driver package there is, and i also don't have a symbol... I was just being sarcastic :rotfl:
(come on; drivers for WM2003 released only in 2004 ??? that's really absurd....no really!)

jvcrabb
02-23-2004, 07:51 PM
The only problem I came across was using thier wireless configuration utility. It works fine on the Laptop but the 2215 had some issues with it. I could not connect to my AP. I have not tried the utility at work but I am pretty sure that it is my junky Linksys WAP 11 v 2 AP that is the problem (I am going to upgrade soon). Using the driver with Zero Configuration works great on the PPC.

It did take them a long time to update the driver, perhaps the delay was the added WPA support. EIther way I am happy, my card only cost me $30 brand new! You can't beat that!

Now all I need is MINI STUMBLER support and I will be a happy camper!

John

Deemo
02-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Are they really just now getting around to this? Socket had theirs out concurrently with the Windows Mobile 2003 launch.

Well yes..and no.
Socket still hasn't released the utilities that came bundled with the 2002 version:
http://www.socketcom.com/support/support_wlan.asp?Type=CF2

See "Note"
These were cool utilities.

Steven Cedrone
02-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Wow, that was quick! Looks like they pulled this update! :evil:

Steve

Sven Johannsen
02-24-2004, 04:33 AM
Wow, that was quick! Looks like they pulled this update! :evil:

Steve

Maybe this was their first round of Beta testing :wink:

DualShock
02-24-2004, 10:43 PM
new link:

http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/spec24_windows_xp.html

Steven Cedrone
02-25-2004, 04:22 AM
2 things I noticed: I still can't find my access point if I disable SSID broadcast. :( And there is still no way to turn off the card without pulling it out (wishful thinking :wink: )

All in all, so far, I like it!

Steve

Anthony Caruana
02-25-2004, 04:43 AM
2 things I noticed: I still can't find my access point if I disable SSID broadcast. :( And there is still no way to turn off the card without pulling it out (wishful thinking :wink: )

All in all, so far, I like it!

Steve

Hi Steve

Are you using these drivers with the Symbol card or the socket card?

Steven Cedrone
02-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Are you using these drivers with the Symbol card or the socket card?

I'm using them with the Symbol card (I was using the Socked Drivers prior to this!)

Steve

CCollins
02-25-2004, 06:07 PM
They said they know of no reasons of pulling the driver. I think they just relocated it and it is fine.

I've installed it and it seems to work great.

- Casey

Frantic Ferret
02-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Has anyone had any problems with is working with Pocket WinC?

Steven Cedrone
04-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Has anyone had any problems with is working with Pocket WinC?

Sorry, I didn't respond before. Yes, the update broke Pocket WinC. I'm torn about unistalling it for the Socket driver (so WinC works again), or just dealing with it...

Steve

Beast
06-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Any news on making it work with WiNc?

I just got the Symbol CF card and it seems nothing will work with it, netstumbler, (poor prism support), pocket warrior (the new symbol drivers aren't standard) and WiNc (same as PW?).

Are there any other sniffers out there that work?

jvcrabb
06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
WiFiFoFum! www.wififofum.org

I have a symbol card and a iPAQ 2215 and this works well. It is a little buggy but the developer is dedicated to improving the app.