View Full Version : Gadgeteer Reviews The Toshiba e805

Brad Adrian
02-21-2004, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/toshiba-e805-review.html' target='_blank'>http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/toshib...805-review.html</a><br /><br /></div>I've never owned or really used any of the Pocket PCs that Toshiba has made over the years; I've always seemed to be able to find what I need in the various iPAQs I've had. One thing I've always wanted, though, is a device with built-in WiFi. After reading the <a href="http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/toshiba-e805-review.html ">Gadgeteer's review</a> of the new Toshiba e805, though, I'm really tempted to stray away from my beloved iPAQs.<br /><br />I always like reviews with lots of photos and screen shots, and this one has plenty of both. And, like most good novels, you don't really know how the review's going to end until the very end. Personally, I'm thinking that the hi-res screen and built-in WiFi may be just what I need, especially after reading what the Gadgeteer has to say about the Toshiba e805's ConfigFree™ Software.

Pony99CA
02-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I've never owned or really used any of the Pocket PCs that Toshiba has made over the years; I've always seemed to be able to find what I need in the various iPAQs I've had. One thing I've always wanted, though, is a device with built-in WiFi. After reading the Gadgeteer's review (http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/toshiba-e805-review.html ) of the new Toshiba e805, though, I'm really tempted to stray away from my beloved iPAQs.
I don't really get this. There are plenty of iPAQs with built-in WiFi -- the 5450, the 5550, the 4150 and the 4350. All of those models also include Bluetooth, which no Toshiba Pocket PC has built-in.

If you want the Toshiba for its screen, I can understand that, but you certainly to don't have to give up on iPAQs to get WiFi.

Steve

marlof
02-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Steve, of course, the longing for a WiFi model might bring Brad to an iPAQ as well, and there would be no need to get a Toshiba. But if you read his comments after reading the Gadgeteer review:

I'm thinking that the hi-res screen and built-in WiFi may be just what I need

I think it's pretty clear that it is the combo that does it for Brad. Not the combo with Bluetooth, but the combo with the hi-res screen. :)

Pony99CA
02-21-2004, 12:27 PM
I think it's pretty clear that it is the combo that does it for Brad. Not the combo with Bluetooth, but the combo with the hi-res screen. :)
Right, which is why I said, "If you want the Toshiba for its screen, I can understand that."

However, when Brad said:

I've always seemed to be able to find what I need in the various iPAQs I've had. One thing I've always wanted, though, is a device with built-in WiFi.
He only mentioned wanting WiFi, not a better screen, and I thought some people might get the impression that there weren't iPAQs with WiFi. Granted, they would probably be newbies, but I wanted to make sure those people knew that there were plenty of iPAQs out there with WiFi. I'm sure Brad was well aware of that, of course. :)

Steve

b3trio
02-21-2004, 02:40 PM
The Toshiba isn't perfect, but once you have had the opportunity to use its wifi and Hi-res combo, you will likely never want to use another ppc limited to QVGA again.

Jonathon Watkins
02-21-2004, 02:46 PM
I am sooooo looking forward to PPC2004 - the promise of many quality devices with VGA screens is just great!

jnajera
02-21-2004, 03:44 PM
The only bad thing I can say about my e805 is no bluetooth. Once you surf high res you will never be able to go back! Buy it and you will not regret it!

Duncan
02-21-2004, 03:50 PM
I don't really get this. There are plenty of iPAQs with built-in WiFi -- the 5450, the 5550, the 4150 and the 4350. All of those models also include Bluetooth, which no Toshiba Pocket PC has built-in.

While it is correct that no Toshiba has both BT and WiFi built-in (silly Toshiba...! :roll: ) - every model from the e740 onwards has had a Bluetooth version (instead of WiFi).

miterb
02-21-2004, 05:15 PM
I currently own an e740 and have monitored the brighthand discussion group for the same. Brighthand has opened a group for the e800/805 at http://discussion.brighthand.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=281. The tone of the entries at both groups are generally different as night and day. The e740 had a number of initial problems and ended up with a furor when Toshiba chose not to upgrade it to PC2003 firmware. However, everyone at the e800 group seems generally delighted with their device. there have been a number of user developed enhancements to the VGA screen which are listed at in the first post.
Brad

Paul Martin
02-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Another good review here (http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1777) at bargainpda.com. For me, one of the real benefits of this device is Wi-Fi and a CF card. Since I've already made an investment in CF memory cards and accessories, it would be a lot cheaper not having to repurchase these. In looking at the iPaq range, does any have Wi-Fi and a CF card + SD card? TIA.

Janak Parekh
02-21-2004, 07:39 PM
In looking at the iPaq range, does any have Wi-Fi and a CF card + SD card? TIA.
Only the 54xx/55xx units with a CF sleeve.

Which, Duncan, is why the e805's situation is mitigable. Given the dual slots, one can insert a BT CF or SDIO card in the unit. That's what I plan to do when Verizon wakes up and offers a BT phone... (incidentally, I believe the BT model isn't sold in the US; what a surprise!)

--janak

Duncan
02-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Which, Duncan, is why the e805's situation is mitigable. Given the dual slots, one can insert a BT CF or SDIO card in the unit.

Indeed. But none-the-less every UK magazine review of the e800 I have seen has commented on the oddness of Toshiba's decision only include the one wireless. Every competitor in terms of power and price - iPAQ 5550, Loox 610, AJP Mio 558, iPAQ 4150 - is dual wireless. Considering everything else that Toshiba packed in (and the size of the unit) it is a strange decision indeed to make it single wireless.

Why they won't sell the BT version in the US is strange as well - surely they want to compete with HP? And Palm for that matter? Why should we in Europe get a choice of both and not the US?

Janak Parekh
02-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Indeed. But none-the-less every UK magazine review of the e800 I have seen has commented on the oddness of Toshiba's decision only include the one wireless.
Oh, I agree. And considering the physical size of the e805, I can't imagine integrating a BT IC to be all that difficult. Oh well. :| At least Pocket PCs are expandable, as opposed to (most) cell phones.

Why they won't sell the BT version in the US is strange as well - surely they want to compete with HP? And Palm for that matter? Why should we in Europe get a choice of both and not the US?
My off-handed comment related to our BT counterpoint articles yesterday. I guess Toshiba US is being as shortsighted as Verizon or Sprint. ;)

--janak

Paul Martin
02-22-2004, 03:38 AM
In looking at the iPaq range, does any have Wi-Fi and a CF card + SD card? TIA.
Only the 54xx/55xx units with a CF sleeve.

That's what I thought. Having the built-in CF would be important to me. Thanks!

Pony99CA
02-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Having the built-in CF would be important to me.
I'm curious why? I see four main reasons to use CF nowadays.

You don't want to pay more per MB for SD. For lower-capacity cards, that's generally not a problem, with 64 (and maybe 128 and 256) MB CF and SD cards within $5-$10 of each other.

You need more capacity than SD has. Right now, SD is available up to 1 GB. CF is available up to 6 GB (with 8 GB coming). Of course, the prices of those CF cards are relatively steep, but, if I could afford it, I'd get one.

You already have an investment in CF memory cards and don't want to buy SD.

You need a peripheral that requires CF. There aren't a lot of SD peripherals out yet -- mainly WiFi and Bluetooth cards, it seems. CF has those, plus GSM cards, Microdrives, modems, LAN cards and so on. With new iPAQs having both WiFi and Bluetooth, most PDA users will only require memory expansion, which SD can handle (subject to items #1 and #2).

Are there other reasons I'm missing? Which camp do you fall into?

I guess I fit into #3 -- I have a 512 MB CF card I use, which is mostly full. I bought a 512 MB SD card this month to get more storage. (I like to take my MP3s with me.) However, I don't mind using a sleeve to get the CF support. In fact, I just bought a NexiPak dual CF sleeve to replace my Compaq dual PC Card sleeve.

Item #2 would also apply. I consider 1 GB CF cards at the limit of what I'd pay. 1 GB SD cards and 2 GB CF cards are too pricy for me right now.

Steve

Paul Martin
02-22-2004, 02:49 PM
You already have an investment in CF memory cards and don't want to buy SD.
Are there other reasons I'm missing? Which camp do you fall into?

Yep, reason # 3. I already have a modem, ethernet card and 2 memory cards that are CF. That's pretty much it. I have no warm fuzzys for the format itself.

disconnected
02-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I'd just like to have two slots. They could both be SD. I have built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and the only other thing I'd like is a camera, which now comes in SD format. I'd like to keep my main SD card in at all times so I don't lose it, and then have a free slot for extra movies, music, or maps.

Brad Adrian
02-22-2004, 05:42 PM
I thought some people might get the impression that there weren't iPAQs with WiFi.
No, my only point was that none of MY iPAQs have built-in WiFi.

LarDude
02-23-2004, 09:13 AM
I'd just like to have two slots. They could both be SD. I have built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and the only other thing I'd like is a camera, which now comes in SD format. I'd like to keep my main SD card in at all times so I don't lose it, and then have a free slot for extra movies, music, or maps.

I agree. The second slot doesn't "have" to be CF, it could be SD, just as long as there are 2 slots. Having said that, as long as there were to be 2 slots, they might as well be different. It's come in handy as a multiformat card reader recently.

I don't want to bash bluetooth or anything (don't flame me), but isn't it a lot slower than Wi-Fi? I realize that a lot of people want to make use of their investment in their bluetooth enabled phones (like me), but it seems that with the growing availability of Wi-Fi hotspots, who wants to waste time with a slow phone/bluetooth internet connection? With the price of 802.11g routers as low as $79 Canadian (~$60 US), I'd guess that most people here already have Wi-Fi at home and work. With Wi-Fi hotspots popping up at coffee shops (Starbucks, etc), airports and hotels, I'd say we're pretty much "covered". (I'm thinking of getting a T-mobile account set up for Wi-Fi and killing the partnership between my phone and PDA). Don't get me wrong, I still think BT might be nice for use with a GPS, but I can use my bluetooth CF-card for this. I don't see BT as a make or break issue for the e805.

Oh, and before I forget -- this is an e805 forum -- I love my e805! At first, I was switching back and forth between QVGA and VGA mode, but lately, I stayed almost exclusively in VGA mode. I definitely...Definitely cannot go back to QVGA...I have seen the light!! Surfing is a dream!

Alas, my poor old iPaq...fear not, it will have a new life as my OPIE testbed.