View Full Version : Cancer? bluetooth headsets?

wing
02-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Hello,

I have a scientist friend, and he constantly rants about the dangers of cellphones being held up to one's ear. cancer-this and cancer-that.

I have been convinced that it is a potential danger, despite the fact that Microsoft released a "study" proving otherwise (mayhaps to keep people using its products?)

Anyway, I started using a headset/mic that was corded to my cell phone. This was so inconvenient that I accidentally snapped the cord off, and now am back to holding the phone by my ear.

<> cordless headset would be nice. <end dream sequence>

MY QUESTION is, has there been any research into the possiblities of cancer from holding a bluetooth transmitter (ie headset/mic) near one's ear?

-scared wingless

Janak Parekh
02-20-2004, 11:24 PM
I presume it's possible, just like it is for cell phones. However, Bluetooth uses much less power than CDMA/GSM, so whatever effect there is would be lessened.

Out of curiosity, does your scientist friend use a cordless phone at home? ;)

--janak

JvanEkris
02-20-2004, 11:55 PM
A GSM phones transmitter (about 3 watt) is about a 10 times stronger than bluetooth (about 0,1 watt). Although the use of GSM phones is under a lot of debate, no conclusive evidence of this has been presented that it influences cancer. Bluetooth is a lot less powerfull, and therefore a lot less dangerous.

Jaap

Sheynk
02-21-2004, 07:01 AM
you are more likely to get a brain tumor from thinking too hard about the effects of GSM on you...... :roll:

spawn_x
02-21-2004, 05:33 PM
i agree. the daily things you're exposed to are much worse... from the food you eat to the amount of UV you get under the sun..

not a worry IMO.

Aerestis
02-22-2004, 12:01 AM
You mean I have cancer now?!

:wink:

wing
02-24-2004, 06:54 AM
I presume it's possible, just like it is for cell phones. However, Bluetooth uses much less power than CDMA/GSM, so whatever effect there is would be lessened.

Out of curiosity, does your scientist friend use a cordless phone at home? ;)

--janak

YES he does...please give me some more ammo RE: cordless phones so i can eventually convince myself to get a bluetooth headset...

ahh.

Zack Mahdavi
02-24-2004, 06:44 PM
YES he does...please give me some more ammo RE: cordless phones so i can eventually convince myself to get a bluetooth headset...

ahh.

Well, most newer cordless phones these days broadcast on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. This is the same spectrum as 802.11b WiFi and Bluetooth. However, bluetooth's signal strength is much weaker than a cordless phone. Thus, if he doesn't mind walking around with a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone, you shouldn't feel unsafe walking around with a Bluetooth headset.

These days, as more restaurants and companies install WiFi throughout large areas, there's really no reason to worry about anything broadcasted on a 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Janak Parekh
02-25-2004, 04:36 AM
Well, most newer cell phones these days broadcast on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum.
Actually, no. Cell phones broadcast on 800/900/1800/1900MHz. However, most cordless phones broadcast on either the 900MHz or 2.4GHz spectrum.

wing, I can't give you all the ammo, but I can point out that cordless phones are RF transmitters as well. You might want to try some searching and see what the power output of a cordless phone is, compared to a cell phone. I've only done some cursory searches, but preliminary results indicate they're a lot closer than one might think, especially when you consider a digital cellular phone, which has much lower power output than an analog unit. Again, I'm no RF engineer, but what does this mean for the risks of cordless phones?

Bluetooth should be many, many times less than both. ;)

--janak

Zack Mahdavi
02-25-2004, 06:25 AM
Janak, oops... I meant to say cordless phones..