View Full Version : Stupid Screen Question

mrradio
02-20-2004, 06:20 PM
I notice that a lot of average quality and resolution screens are easy to read outdoors and a lot of great looking screens (ala i700) are hard to read in natural sunlight.

Dumb question, is it fate acomplice due to design factors that a screen made to look fantastic indoors from straight on looks bad at an angle or in sun?

JustinGTP
02-20-2004, 06:46 PM
They don't mean for it to be bad looking, technology, let's say, is maybe a tad restricted when it comes to looking at it in the sun.

Take your computer monitor in the sun and it will look the same, it's merely the reflection of the sun on your screen.

Saying this, I'm not really sure of your question and what I've just told you could be complete nonsense! :?

:D

-Justin.

Pat Logsdon
02-20-2004, 06:56 PM
The reason for the difference is because there are different types of screens.

The original color iPaqs had reflective screens, which looked great outdoors, less so inside.

The Casio line of PPC's up until the e-200 had HAST screens, which looked fantastic inside, but were practically unreadable outside.

Most PPC's these days come with transflective screens, which are effectively in between the HAST and reflective screens, in that they're better indoors at the expense of a little readability outdoors.

Technically, I believe it all has to do with how much natural light is allowed to get through and "reflect" off of the screen, versus how much the backlight has to do.

mrradio
02-20-2004, 11:45 PM
The other day I saw a Treo 600 at Best Buy.

Now, I ruled out the Treo for 3 reasons, 1) Sprint has poor coverage here, in fact I'm on the extreme western edge of their network; 2) no voice dial, dangerous as I make a lot of spontaneous calls in the car and 3) low res screen, no point updating up i330.

However I have to say the brightness on the Treo 600 was amazing to the point of being beyond description.

I put the Samsung i700 set on Super bright next to the Treo 600 and it made the Samsung look almost like it wasn't on by comparison. Don't know how being outdoors would affect this though but it was mind boggling.