View Full Version : Want to compare the Palm OS against Pocket PC, please help

albert
02-20-2004, 04:53 PM
I know very little about the topic, please help!

c38b2
02-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Pocket PCs are multimedia and connectivity focused PDAs, but have their share of quirks and pitfalls. Palm OS handhelds are designed to be simple and easy to use, but consequently suffer in the areas of multimedia and connectivity. Read this article for more:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3127_7-5120845-1.html?tag=txt

Partita
02-22-2004, 04:25 AM
It really depends what you want out of a PDA.
the basic ghist of it:

Palm is a simple organizer. PPC is a pocketable computer. PPC has better softwares.

c38b2
02-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Palm is a simple organizer. PPC is a pocketable computer. PPC has better softwares.
It's not that simple, and those are more opinions or hyperboles than facts. :?

Partita
02-22-2004, 09:21 PM
No, that's a fact based on the type of apps PPC tends to run compared to POS. Majority of Palm apps are simplistic text based aps from the day of dragonball, while PPC runs more sophisticated apps.

Just browse throught the last month or so PPCT news, and compare to what is available on POS. News such as PI, virtual pool, etc.. should be evidence enough.

c38b2
02-23-2004, 02:12 AM
No, that's a fact based on the type of apps PPC tends to run compared to POS. Majority of Palm apps are simplistic text based aps from the day of dragonball, while PPC runs more sophisticated apps.

Just browse throught the last month or so PPCT news, and compare to what is available on POS. News such as PI, virtual pool, etc.. should be evidence enough.
There's no denying there are great apps for the Pocket PC, but certainly not a majority of Palm apps are "text based". In fact, Palm has many more apps available to it as opposed to a PPC - and properly written (API-only) apps written for past generations, even POS 1.0, will work under POS Garnet/Cobalt.

Partita
02-23-2004, 05:26 AM
-200 tetris clone and 5000 Hex calculator still won't leap forward things like PDAmill gembox and timespace calculator.

There are still no POS answer to all of PPC top apps. Things like PI, listpro, pocketmindmap, AOE etc are miles ahead of what POS can provide.

what is POS top apps? bejeweled and datebk5.0? Agendus?
come on...

Palm Cow
02-24-2004, 12:44 AM
GAH! ZEALOTS!

Seriously, you guys are as bad as the guys at PIC. THEY'RE BOTH GOOD.

Palm has the higher resolution (except on the $600 device blyech).

PPC has more ... uhh ... there IS something and I'm not being zealotous ...

MagicConch
02-27-2004, 07:28 PM
One thing that I think is interesting is that while it has been shown that it is possible to run Palm OS 5.x programs via emulation on a variety of PocketPCs , there is no PocketPC emulator for any Palm device, at least that I have been able to find (please correct me if I am wrong, I am curious). It could be lack of trying, but with the sheer number of Palm users, I seriously doubt it.

I have heard Palm 6.0 will add a lot of multimedia features which should really boost Palm. Then comparing the two will be interesting.

c38b2
02-28-2004, 02:28 AM
it is possible to run Palm OS 5.x programs via emulation on a variety of PocketPCs
Really? I was aware of the PocketPalm project abandoned a few years ago which supported Palm OS 1 and 2 programs. 8O If you can find an OS5 emulator I would really appreciate it! :D

Trimac20
03-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Before I purchased by PPC I was probably as unknowledgable (is that a word?) about the differences between Pocket PC and Palm. I thought the Palm Tungsten C was the best thing in the PDA world. But after spending time on it at the shop, in comparison to my 4350 I wouldn't have to say PPC is far simpler and 'cleaner': less cluttered than the Palm OS while at the same time having greater complexity and functionality.

Here are some reasons why you should get a Pocket PC over a Palm (most are obvious and you've probably heard of them before):

* Connectivity: Almost all have Bluetooth, higher-end models have Wi-Fi as well as the standard Ir, USB-link. Only the very best Palm models, such as the Tungsten T3 (I don't think the Tungsten C has it but I can't be sure) have Wi-Fi which is simply not as good as Pocket PC.

* Almost-universal apps like Outlook etc. allow easy synchronisation with any computer. Also allows syncing of tasks, files.etc in contrast to basic functions in Hotsync.

* Multimedia: All ipaqs have stereo output, play MP3s and Videos beautifully. Palm? Doesn't even compare.

And apart from looking better (ipaqs look like sophisticated business tools: Palms like tacky glorified personal organisers), and of course having better software Pocket PC beats Palm. I guess there is one thing Palm has that Pocket PC doesn't: a price advantage: perhaps the main reason for its popularity (not for its superiority as a PIM PDA, as many have insisted) is that most Palm models are considerably more affordable than Pocket PC models. And face it, your average Joe on the street won't want to pay US $400-500 for a Pocket PC handheld when he can get another cheaper handheld which does all his functions in a Palm. In that sense, Pocket PC is probably aimed more at the techno geeks than the general public. But then again, its just my opinion and I may be wrong.

peg_ux50_user
03-13-2004, 12:46 AM
[quote]And face it, your average Joe on the street won't want to pay US $400-500 for a Pocket PC handheld when he can get another cheaper handheld which does all his functions in a Palm.[quote]

I just bought a PEG UX50. It tipped the scale at well over 500 bucks. It has both WiFi and Bluetooth. It actually has alot of nice features, but it is going to take a heck of alot of getting use to. I had to replace a Toshiba E740 that took a swim. I will say at this point I am considering taking it back for an Hp or the new Toshiba. I will give it a few days to see.

naked
04-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Palm os emulators can be found on palmsource.com I believe in dev/support area. Palm OS 5 and up uses simulators not emulators. I have the best luck w/ 5.2 release.

Luke