View Full Version : Why is Pocket Informant so good?

lazerin
02-20-2004, 09:29 AM
I have a 4150 and I've tried using both the included outlook PIM tools as well as Pocket Informant. For me, I can't really tell why people choose Pocket Informant over the default calendar, contacts, tasks etc offered by Pocket Outlook.

Can someone point out some defining stand out features that make Pocket Informant that much better?

p.s Is there an option in either programs to "cleanup" past appointments in the calendar?

rhmorrison
02-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Integration Display Filtering Data Entry Journal Linking Notes
Just to name a few...

hamishmacdonald
02-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I keep trying to use PI, and for me it's just too busy. The more I use third-party apps (Pocket Informant, Conduits Pocket Player, etc), the more I appreciate the the Pocket PC interface creators' work.

Kevin Remhof
02-20-2004, 03:22 PM
My biggest complaint with the built-in Pocket PC PIM apps is that they aren't as full-featured as Outlook. Tasks are a prime example. You just don't have the power that you do on the desktop.

For me, I want to have my tasks categorized and sorted by multiple categories. I also want to know when they are due.

PI gives me all of this and more. Here's a screenshot of my Tasks:

... Screenshot removed ...

I can quickly tell that the "CSM FAQ for Steve" task is due today. I can also see what tasks are reoccuring which I find to be a big plus. The calendar improvements are great too. I like the views that PI has much better than the Pocket Outlook version.

I resisted PI for a long time. I finally gave it a good, honest try a few weeks ago and found out that I didn't want to live without it. It's a matter of personal taste. If you can't find any features you really want and are happy with the built-in PIM apps, stick with them. They are easy to use and may have all the power you want.

pivaska
02-20-2004, 03:49 PM
This one is simple.... I use PI 5.x because I have a NEED for the advanced features. My life is in it. If you don't have a need you won't find it useful... just like some people don't find PDA's as useful as a pencil and paper or a day runner. This idea works for any software.

Have the need.... find the software.

Lex
02-20-2004, 10:18 PM
The two 'big dog' PIMs each deserve a look before you choose or decide you don't need either but Agenda Fusion is there for your assessment as well.

That's my fav. since I tried both demos two years ago.

MLO
02-20-2004, 11:06 PM
I tried PI as well, and couldn't justify buying it because I used it so little on my Pocket PC.

The features were more of a novelty than a need. I appreciated them when I used the app....but I didn't use the app often enough.

Dave Potter
02-21-2004, 12:00 AM
I also have to admit that I found PI far too busy and complex. I have been in sales for approx 14 years and have used many different PC based information managers (also referred to as SFA - or sales force automation solutions). I have also sold a variety of these solutions, ranging from simple off-the-shelf solutions to large, very complex and very expensive solutions costing hundred of thousands of $ when working for a systems integrator.

IMO PI contains too many features for the average user - which means a significant learning curve (especially when setting things up after the initial installation). For those of us who are too busy to tackle this post install learning curve - the simple elegance of the built in PIM is quite appealing. Sure if lacks some functionality - but who cares when you can pick it up and use it with zero learning curve.

For me to seriously consider PI, the post install learning curve would have to be reduced or eliminated. I can see this happening in two potential ways

1) A setup wizard of some sort - either PC or PPC based - walks users through the various setup options with explanations and examples (pictures etc)
- or -
2) Through a series of setup templates that could be 'applied' after the basic install and then tweaked as needed. The idea here would be that the template would applied 80-90% of the desired settings with the remaining 10-20% done through tweaks.

If either one of these options were available, I would probably give it another look. Until then, I will be sticking with the built in PIM functionality - enhanced by CalenderPlus Professional.

lazerin
02-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Okay. I think the task feature of PI might come in handy.

However, I'd still like to know whether any of the main PIM programs have the ability to delete past calender events?

Birdiestyle
02-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Ulti-Planner has maintenance options available where you can clean up all appoinments older than <your choice here>.

PI does have some very basic data cleanup as well....