View Full Version : Keep the 4150?

spawn_x
02-20-2004, 06:44 AM
hi guys.. i bought an h4150 a short while ago but since then read that it will be discontinued and that there's more or less no support aftermarket-part-wise for it.. means no expansion sleves, no cf, etc.

do you guys advise me to keep it? I don't really use the wireless feature / bluetooth, but do like the size of it as well as the SD..

so i guess, are there better choices for me? I don't mind it being a bit bigger, but DO need the SD feature as well as an expansion sleeve so I could eventually maybe get a GPS for it or something (not one that's a seperate device though its pretty annoying to have two.. so a sleeve kind would be nice i guess)..

thanks guys.

spawn_x
02-20-2004, 06:56 AM
by the way, the one i'm currently looking at is the 3955/3975.. trying to decide if i should pay extra for bluetooth..

Pat Logsdon
02-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Why specifically do you want CF? Or an expansion sleeve? The 39xx series is a step backwards from the 4xxx...

JGRicci
02-20-2004, 07:36 AM
discontinued because it's so freakin SWEEEEET

don't ditch it man! aftermarket support?
wtf more do you want!?

it exists as a product, it has all the features you need to connect to all the new hottest bluetooth devices, and whatever!

What more do you want? A clown suit for it?...actually...

don't get fanatical about some 'discontinued' rumor, as long as it's still on hp's site... even if it's not.. what the hell man ? you got the smallest, most versital pda on the market! built-in everything!
I love people looking at it and saying... aww, there's no CF slot. WTF do you need it for!!! keep on rockin' man!

spawn_x
02-20-2004, 07:42 AM
why? because i can run a GPS without carrying two devices (a bluetooth GPS and the PDA), and it just adds options like a modem, a large storage device, etc..

Basically I like the ability to expand.. having a portable GPS would be nice (get the sleeve one), as would being able to use a modem, or a couple gig drive, etc..

are there at least any options of connecting things to the ipaq? i just can't picture running it with a cable to it or have a second device (like bluetooth gps)... i'd love to justify keeping this toy, i love it..

thanks

spawn_x
02-20-2004, 07:44 AM
discontinued because it's so freakin SWEEEEET

don't ditch it man! aftermarket support?
wtf more do you want!?

it exists as a product, it has all the features you need to connect to all the new hottest bluetooth devices, and whatever!

What more do you want? A clown suit for it?...actually...

don't get fanatical about some 'discontinued' rumor, as long as it's still on hp's site... even if it's not.. what the hell man ? you got the smallest, most versital pda on the market! built-in everything!
I love people looking at it and saying... aww, there's no CF slot. WTF do you need it for!!! keep on rockin' man!

guess i should have clarified, i'm not worried that its discontinued, i'm worried that because its discontinued (soon) there won't be enough demand for an aftermarket sleeve or something..

i plan on getting a 1gig SD (have a digicam that uses SD as well), but still a CF 2.2gig drive would be pretty dang sweet..

;)

Pat Logsdon
02-20-2004, 07:50 AM
why? because i can run a GPS without carrying two devices (a bluetooth GPS and the PDA)
Personally, I'd rather have the two devices. A 4150 + bluetooth GPS is significantly less mass, and less bulky than a 39xx or 5xxx with a GPS sleeve. Driving? Throw the GPS on the dash and forget about it. Geocaching? Shove the GPS in a pocket and forget about it.

I had a CF GPS unit for my Axim. It was unwieldy and heavier than I liked. The 4150 + bluetooth GPS is an infinitely more useful option.

Just my 2 cents, of course...

Pat Logsdon
02-20-2004, 07:53 AM
i'm worried that because its discontinued (soon) there won't be enough demand for an aftermarket sleeve or something..
There won't be a sleeve for the 4xxx line. The only PDA being built right now with sleeve compatibility is the 5xxx line, which is significantly more expensive. If you downgrade to a 3xxx, you'll lose WiFi and gain quite a bit of bulk.

spawn_x
02-20-2004, 08:13 AM
gotcha..

after doing some more thinking i think i'll keep the unit. i love the fact that its small - i had an older ipaq 3xxx and it was just too bulky to fit in your pocket, this one fits just fine. reviews also suck on the 5xxx series and they seem to be pretty buggy, so i don't know if i'd risk it.

memory wise, well i hope the 1 gig card (when i get it) will be enough, and pretty sure it will be.

thanks for helping me with my decision guys ;) been reading this forum for hours the last day..

;)

SD-Realtor
02-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Spawn... I don't know about your final decision...

I was going to say... If you really don't like it all that much, I guess I could do you the favor of sending a few hundred bucks your way to allow you to free yourself of the burden :lol:

It's a good thought - but not happening! I wish I had one of those - if only they didn't cost so much!

arnage2
02-20-2004, 01:18 PM
get a 5555. Its not buggy. It works just as well (or better) than me old 2215 and 4155

Jacob
02-20-2004, 04:36 PM
There won't be a sleeve for the 4xxx line. The only PDA being built right now with sleeve compatibility is the 5xxx line, which is significantly more expensive. If you downgrade to a 3xxx, you'll lose WiFi and gain quite a bit of bulk.

Are they even creating new sleeves for these devices??

It was my impression that HP pretty much wouldn't mind getting rid of them, but they kinda need a product line that is compatible with sleeves just because they have so many customers with pre-existing sleeves.

The sleeves to HP must in some respects be a hinderance since it prevents them from changing the form of the 5xxx series.

spawn_x
02-20-2004, 06:59 PM
get a 5555. Its not buggy. It works just as well (or better) than me old 2215 and 4155

don't mean to say every one of them is bad, just the reviews i've read mention that a lot of people have problems..

Dave Potter
02-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Personally, I'd rather have the two devices. A 4150 + bluetooth GPS is significantly less mass, and less bulky than a 39xx or 5xxx with a GPS sleeve. Driving? Throw the GPS on the dash and forget about it. Geocaching? Shove the GPS in a pocket and forget about it.

I had a CF GPS unit for my Axim. It was unwieldy and heavier than I liked. The 4150 + bluetooth GPS is an infinitely more useful option.

Just my 2 cents, of course...

I have to agree with Snack here. I've heard that using an SD, CF or sleeve based GPS is a pain in the butt in a car. When you have the unit where you can the screen - it doesn't get a good GPS signal. When you finally get a decent GPS signal, you can't see the screen. With a BT based GPS, you get the best of both worlds.

Christian
02-21-2004, 05:22 PM
This has been my experience as well. An external Bluetooth GPS solution really adds very little bulk and allows you to get usable reception while still being able to read the screen. Also, because of the high battery life of my GPS (10+ hours) I rarely need to remove it from my car, so the bulk issue is nonexistent. My only problem so far has been that my 2210 drops the Bluetooth connection frequently, but this seems to be a problem with the 221x. :?

Pat Logsdon
02-21-2004, 05:43 PM
There won't be a sleeve for the 4xxx line. The only PDA being built right now with sleeve compatibility is the 5xxx line, which is significantly more expensive. If you downgrade to a 3xxx, you'll lose WiFi and gain quite a bit of bulk.Are they even creating new sleeves for these devices??

It was my impression that HP pretty much wouldn't mind getting rid of them, but they kinda need a product line that is compatible with sleeves just because they have so many customers with pre-existing sleeves.
I don't think any new sleeves have come out for some time, and I recall reading that HP DOES want to dump them. While I suppose it's possible that some 3rd party could theoretically create a sleeve for the 4xxx series, I wouldn't hold my breath - as you now know, the 415x is already pretty close to the perfect device... :wink:

spawn_x
02-21-2004, 06:36 PM
yup.. keeping it for sure, already ordered some goodies for it..