View Full Version : HP camera and 2210.

ombu
02-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Is there a driver for the 2210 (WM 2003 of course) to handle the HP camera, the one used with the Jornada? Did a search and couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony Caruana
02-20-2004, 04:48 AM
I recall that this camera (CF) was only designed to work on the Jornada. However, tsomeone developed a driver to use this with other devices. The driver cost $20USD from memory.

I doubt that you could get this to work with the 2210

ombu
02-20-2004, 06:14 AM
I recall that this camera (CF) was only designed to work on the Jornada. However, tsomeone developed a driver to use this with other devices. The driver cost $20USD from memory.

I doubt that you could get this to work with the 2210

:( Thanks anyway.

Regards.

blusparkles
02-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Is there a driver for the 2210 (WM 2003 of course) to handle the HP camera, the one used with the Jornada? Did a search and couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance.

The third party driver doesn't work with X-scale devices unfortunately.

ombu
02-21-2004, 07:35 PM
:oops: On my way to sell it to a friend.

Ed Hansberry
02-22-2004, 12:39 AM
IMHO HP really blew it with this driver issue. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
02-22-2004, 04:22 AM

Especially since the 2215 has a CF slot and the 5xxx series can still take sleeves

Anthony Caruana
02-22-2004, 06:51 AM

It was just a little dopey on HP's side. Maybe I'm understating the complexity but if you have a working driver, surely compiling ot for the different CPU types was all that was needed.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the new HP SD camera. Is it a HP only device? I wonder if it will suffer the same fate in the future.

At the very least, seeing that the Jornada line ot was designed for is now so far out of production, HP could give up the source for the driver so that someone can build on it to deliver an up to date driver.

Sven Johannsen
02-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Actually it was a bit more complex than that. The camera driver was actually compiled for both SH3 and ARM processors, Jornada 540 series (PPC2000) and 560 series (PPC 2002). The Arm driver worked on most all PPC2002 devices since they were all ARM devices. The lack at that point was software to make use of the camera, which HP made selective to HP PPCs. There were a couple of third parties that did support the HP driver with software, one was MS Portrait, with which I actually had my HP CF camera working on my Dell Axim.

Now HP/Compaq discontinues the camera (bad move IMHO), and then MS brings out WM2003. Problem is that now, HP would have to write a new camera driver for the discontinued camera for the new OS. That wasn't going to happen.