View Full Version : Concluding the "Help a Fellow Geek Out" Event: Thanks Everyone!

Jason Dunn
02-19-2004, 10:57 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23373' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/for...pic.php?t=23373</a><br /><br /></div>We've wrapped things up with <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23373">helping Kenn</a>, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The Pocket PC Thoughts community donated $325 USD to put toward getting Kenn a new Pocket PC with WiFi! :way to go: I'm deeply proud of everyone who kicked in a few bucks - it was so amazing to see the flow of generosity. Next, I gave Kenn a $100 Handango gift certificate, so he can pick up some new software. I also had some $100 Vaja gift certificates I've been keeping for prizes, so I gave Kenn one - so he'll be able to get a sexy Vaja case for his new Pocket PC. 8) <br /><br />To round out Ken's gear, our friends at Tek 'n Toys have donated a <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=359&inv_id=368050&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">Microsoft MN-500</a> wireless gateway/firewall. This will allow Ken to share his new high-speed connection with all his computers, including a new Pocket PC, and be secure behind a hardware firewall. Have a speedy recovery Kenn, and enjoy your new gear!

Mike Temporale
02-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Great job everyone! What a great place we have here.

:grouphug:

Paul Martin
02-19-2004, 11:29 PM
This is great! I really like the sense of community that PPCT provides. Wish I could have helped out this time, but was not possible. :( Kenn, sorry to hear about the difficult time you're having. Heal soon!

Jason Dunn
02-19-2004, 11:34 PM
I really like the sense of community that PPCT provides. Wish I could have helped out this time, but was not possible.

Just by being a member of this community and helping others, you're doing exactly what Kenn was complimenting us on in his original message. :way to go: Everyone helps in their own way!

Hyperluminal
02-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Wow, this is great.. I really love this site! :D

Really, great going everyone.. just sorry I couldn't donate...

Enjoy you new gadgets Kenn, and get better soon... :)

Jeff Rutledge
02-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Great job everyone! What a great place we have here.

:grouphug:

Indeed. I'm continually surprised at how strong this community is. This is yet more proof. :way to go:

Jonathon Watkins
02-20-2004, 12:32 AM
What a swell party this is. :clap:

Sheynk
02-20-2004, 01:42 AM
:ppclove:

I love you guys...its things like this that make me not have a life and live on this site....

Go Community!

arnage2
02-20-2004, 03:49 AM
i never thought of this. Ask others for money? :twisted:

Jason Dunn
02-20-2004, 03:52 AM
i never thought of this. Ask others for money? :twisted:

Uh...no. I think you missed the point - Kenn never asked for anything at any point.

Fzara
02-20-2004, 06:55 AM
lets play devil's advocate, how exactly can anyone verify that he REALLY did come out of surgery anyway?

For all we know, it could be me using a comp at school or something like that. Oh well-if this Ken really does exist, I hope he does have a speedy recovery, but I still do not get the point of giving money to him so he can get a new PDA.

Jason, care to explain the philosophy behind this?

Jeff Rutledge
02-20-2004, 07:09 AM

I'm not Jason, but I don't think there's any philosophy here beyond a bunch of people helping out someone who could use it. Why? Because we can. ;)

Pat Logsdon
02-20-2004, 07:45 AM
I still do not get the point of giving money to him so he can get a new PDA.
A) He's immobilized due to his surgery. Lying on your face for weeks on end can't be fun.

B) He originally posted because he was having problems getting online with his old PPC equipment, which was basically his only point of contact with the world while he was lying face down.

C) This is a PDA site. What are we going to do? Buy him a microwave?

D) Is it your money that's being spent? No? Then why exactly are you worrying about it...? :|

Jason Dunn
02-20-2004, 05:37 PM

If you don't understand the concept of generosity, then no explanation I could give you can suffice. ;-)

GoldKey
02-20-2004, 06:50 PM

A random act of kindness (giving something to someone that didn't ask) can be extremely gratifying.

You seem to be suggesting that you think Kenn is a fraud. Do you have something to back this up or are you just trying to elicit a reaction based on a statement that you have no basis to make?