View Full Version : Activesync: PC Rebuild - What to Expect ?

spacerace
02-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Hello All

I am about to rebuild my pc, and wondered if anyone had any tips on re-establishing an activesync partnership with the minimum of fuss ? :!:

After re-installing Outlook and Activesync, when I create a new partnership will it recognise the two sets of data, or am I going to have to designate one set as master and wipe the other ?

Is there anyway to backup the partnership information ?

Thanks
- spacerace -

David Prahl
02-19-2004, 08:05 PM
My Axim X5 has NEVER been able to do AS correctly, so I always do a "guest" partnership. You should be able to make a backup file in ActiveSync, and restore it once your PC is re-done.

I'd make a device-based backup (using the PPC app) AND an ActiveSync backup. Just to be sure.

What are you doing with your PC?

Jason Dunn
02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
One thing to keep in mind: ActiveSync 3.7, the newest version from the Microsoft Web site, does NOT have all the INF drivers for all devices. You need to make sure that, before you connect your Pocket PC for the first time, you install the version of ActiveSync that came with your device THEN upgrade to the latest and greatest version.

spacerace
02-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks - I do already have AS installed and working, but from the CD that came with my Dell, not upgraded to the latest version (is there anything new ?)

[david] How do you make an AS backup ? Are you talking about the files in the AS program dir, or something else ?

I am simply reloading Windows XP as I do every now and again to keep it clean.

- spacerace -

Jason Dunn
02-19-2004, 10:47 PM
You don't need to worry about making an ActiveSync backup - when you sync your Pocket PC after your reinstall, it will prompt you to replace your partnership, and you just do so. ;-)

spacerace
02-19-2004, 11:29 PM
fine - so replace partnership and it will work out that there are already 2 sets of data that are pretty much sync'd already ?

I remember doing this with a Psion once it decided to duplicate _everything_ i.e. sync'd in both directions. absolute nightmare and took me ages to clean out the calendar etc.

- spacerace -

JonnoB
02-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I remember doing this with a Psion once it decided to duplicate _everything_ i.e. sync'd in both directions. absolute nightmare and took me ages to clean out the calendar etc.

Activestink has a tendency to do that once in a while for me too.

JTWise
02-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Sounds like you are restoring your Outlook PST fromo a backup. If it has the most recent data, choose to replace the data on your PPC with the stuff in Outlook. This is what I typically do when I get a new work computer and have never had a problem (although I would backup my PPC first just in case). If you try a different method and end up with duplicates, there is a free little program that will save you a few hours of work. It can be found at http://www.hlyspirit.org.uk/cms/index.php?id=7

Good luck !!

spacerace
02-20-2004, 11:09 AM
[jtwise] great app ! thanks for linking to it, very handy to have saved somewhere and would have saved me many hours a few years ago. especially like prayerware !

ultimately outlook is my "master" data, so yes if it comes to it I will just wipe all PIM data from the PPC and resync afresh. was kinda hoping these issues had been solved by now but i guess it's a bugbear that will be around for sometime...

- spacerace -