View Full Version : What if the OQO would use the Pocket PC OS instead of Win XP

Eraserhead
02-19-2004, 01:52 AM
I was looking at the OQO (http://www.oqo.com) and started thinking that it would make a brilliant Pocket PC. With the same form factor (It could even be thinner), keyboard etc. 400 MHz Xscale, 128 MB Ram, 20GB HD, USB Port, Bluetooth and Wifi. The they could sell external keyboard (something like the Targus keyboard ) so this could easily be a laptop replacement, at least for me.

Off course for something like this to come out Microsoft needs to start taking Pocket PC seriously and introduce a new OS that would support landscape and various resolution’s plus come out with a real office apps for the pocket pc, not the crippled stuff the sell now, but that’s another story, and I think Microsoft is doing actually that and PPC 2004 will be something more then “under the hood upgrade”.

I would love a big screen pocket pc like this, the form factor is brilliant and with the screen real writing and web browsing would be capable. I think a device like this could be manufactured and sold for 7-800$ and I would be the first in line to buy it.

JonnoB
02-19-2004, 02:11 AM
I was looking at the OQO (http://www.oqo.com) and started thinking that it would make a brilliant Pocket PC. With the same form factor (It could even be thinner), keyboard etc. 400 MHz Xscale, 128 MB Ram, 20GB HD, USB Port, Bluetooth and Wifi. The they could sell external keyboard (something like the Targus keyboard ) so this could easily be a laptop replacement, at least for me.

Even if a little bit thinner, it would be too bulky to be a PDA for most people I believe. I would rather see a Tablet XP OS device about the size of a steno pad.

dmacburry2003
02-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Truth be told, I recently upgraded to Windows XP (kicked Longhorn into another partition), and I am beginning to like it more than the Pocket PC. It used to be vice versa. I love all the features, wizards, and I just love the GUI. I also like the look of Win XP on a Tablet PC and I would have to see it on a small screen such as the OQO's. But yes, I agree with you on one thing--the OQO should be thinner. It looks like it has the thickness of a portable LCD TV (and God, they can get pretty thick). I would not want to carry a BIG HONKIN thing in my pocket.

Now if they could get Win XP on a PPC... :D

PS: IMHO, I think they put all their development time into that stupid spy movie they have on their site than into the device. W-O-W, O-Q-O get with the P-R-O-gram.

Edit: However, before I begin thinking about my very own Tablet PC, I will look into this in the fall (scheduled release).

Eraserhead
02-19-2004, 02:21 AM
The reason I would want a pocket PC in the form factor of the OQO is price, price, and again price. The OQO js going to cost up to 2000$ which is way to much for my taste, PDA version could cost much less but do many of the things just or at least nearly as well.
Battery life would also be much longer. But of course in the end all mobile devices at the size of Pocket PC's will use Windows (ore another desktop OS), but for now I think this kind of devices would work better and be cheaper as a Pocket PC.

dmacburry2003
02-19-2004, 02:45 AM
The reason I would want a pocket PC in the form factor of the OQO is price, price, and again price. The OQO js going to cost up to 2000$ which is way to much for my taste, PDA version could cost much less but do many of the things just or at least nearly as well.
Battery life would also be much longer. But of course in the end all mobile devices at the size of Pocket PC's will use Windows (ore another desktop OS), but for now I think this kind of devices would work better and be cheaper as a Pocket PC.

A Pocket PC can do a lot of the things a Tablet PC can do... :?

For example, I think that a PPC has as much capability to do notetaking as OneNote 2003 (got the trial by the way, I sent a request from a different network and got it from there). Like I can write in Pocket Word, recognize it, draw, make recordings, insert pictures, type, color stuff in, etc. There are also a lot of media apps for PPC.

Ed Hansberry
02-19-2004, 02:57 AM
An OQO form factor with the Pocket PC OS? Hrmmmmmm..... isn't that what the Casio E-125 was? ;-)

dmacburry2003
02-19-2004, 03:04 AM
An OQO form factor with the Pocket PC OS? Hrmmmmmm..... isn't that what the Casio E-125 was? ;-)

Lol, where did you get that idea? Last time I saw the E-125 it was nowhere near as powerful as the Tablet PC on display (and it looked like it was designed with a cigar in mind :lol: ). Anyway, Casio does have their other attempts here: http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.section&catalog=Personal%20PCs&section=Sub%2DNotebooks

Most of them aren't available and run Windows 98/Me/2000.

Pat Logsdon
02-19-2004, 04:42 AM
Ouch! I still have my e-125. Say what you will about it, but it's still the best PDA if you want to brain a squirrel at 200 yards.

Note: I'm not advocating killing squirrels, mind you - just lightly stunning them. Mildly concussed, as it were.

:mrgreen:

Ed Hansberry
02-19-2004, 04:46 AM
Ouch! I still have my e-125. Say what you will about it, but it's still the best PDA if you want to brain a squirrel at 200 yards.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :rotfl:

That is a hysterical image.

ppcsurfr
02-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Hmmm... not a bad idea... but then it would be a totally different machine... and you could tweak it to be even smaller and lighter.

I think it would be nice but it would be totally different.

Mabuhay!

Carlo

Kati Compton
02-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Note: I'm not advocating killing squirrels, mind you - just lightly stunning them. Mildly concussed, as it were.

I think Steve could have used that... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23035&start=0)

Steven Cedrone
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM

I think Steve could have used that... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23035&start=0)

Hahaha! You know, I was almost tempted to use my Jormada on my squirrel, but I just didn't have the heart...

To hurt the Jornada, that is! :wink:

Steve

rock
03-30-2004, 04:52 AM
No, no, no!!!

Having a real OS it what makes the OQO great! $2000 is dirt cheap for this device.

I don't want compromises, I want an OQO!

Janak Parekh
03-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Having a real OS it what makes the OQO great! $2000 is dirt cheap for this device.
The OQO may be exactly what you want, but I wouldn't call $2k "dirt cheap"... especially when the company was originally planning to sell it for maybe half as much. ;)

--janak

jkendrick
03-31-2004, 05:48 AM
I'm not convinced the form factor is going to work with WinXP. Particularly the screen size. On the desktop side most people today are displaying 1024x768 or more. Maybe 800x600 at the very least. Now, imagine that on a screen not much bigger than the PPC you are using now. I think the OQO will have a 5" screen (if it ever ships :) ).

It will be VERY tiny for most serious work. Below 800x600 and you start having to make serious compromises in useability. Try it on your desktop and see what I mean.

I had one of the first Sony Picturebooks that came out a few years back. It ran at 1024x600 and everything was just too small to work comfortably. Blowing the screen up made for a lot of scrolling and word wrapping. And that was with an 8.4" screen.

I ended up giving it to my daughter in college who hooked up an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

rock
03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
All the screenshots I've seen make it look perfectly useable. Everything is so configurable in XP anyway, it would be almost impossible not to find settings that work great. What version were you running on your Sony?

rock
03-31-2004, 12:05 PM
http://www.tabletpctalk.com/pictures/oqo2004.shtml

Check these pics out jkendrick.

jkendrick
03-31-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the pics but I've seen them all already. I'm just pointing out that there is a big difference between a nice tiny screen and actually using one.

rock
03-31-2004, 04:22 PM
You never answered, what OS/version were you running on the Sony?

I have set my desktop to emulate what it will be like and it's still very workable and comfortable to use. Hopefully in a few months we'll know for sure. :)

Found a really good pic for size comparison and to check out the desktop. There's also a good pic of the ports.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102084&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Will PPCT ever allow real attachments?????????

jkendrick
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
I was running XP home.

rock
04-01-2004, 03:26 PM
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=675521#post675521

More great pics!