View Full Version : joining the side of using screen protectors

JGRicci
02-19-2004, 01:29 AM
So my 4150 being my first pda ever, i figured i'd try some screen protectors... when i bought the thing i didn't know what all was out there, but i picked up a deal for a 2-year warranty on the screen, along with the warranty came a couple of screen protectors...
I applied them and by god were they full of bubbles that you couldn't get out.. just looked plain ugly
so i used my new pda naked for the past month with no problems.. i loved it, But all the discussions about protectors came up

so i splurged on a boxwave screen protector...
pulled it out off of the backing, and first shot laying it on the screen it fit perfectly, no bubbles whatsoever. how freakin' slick is that!
Wow, and the anti-glare, and fingerprint free is great! ( i use spb's fullscreen keyboard) and the new texture is different but certainly is not bad.. it might even be uhm... better!

so there you have it.. i've been converted... my new pda will never be arrested for indecent exposure again!

--jgricci

also, that new free release of vinyl from http://www.pocketwerks.com/ freakin ROCKS! great for parties! pass around the pocketPC and let everyone pick songs!

dmacburry2003
02-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Good for you!

I think everyone gets bubbles, and after rubbing with the slider thing most of them will come out. Once you begin using the device the bubbles will naturally smooth out from the stylus. Just be careful! Pushing too hard with the slide thingy will crease and fold the bubbles and that can be VERY uncomfortable with the stylus.

ppcsurfr
02-19-2004, 04:53 AM
If you place the screen protector slowly and with a squeegee, like a credit card, you can get rid of the bubbles on the first try.

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

jimski
02-19-2004, 06:01 AM
The stiffer protectors, like the Boxware, don't bubble when applied. My protector is going on one year old and I can't see any reason to change it out. Even the writing area (and I do lots of writing) of the protector is free of excessive scratches or damage.

My PPC may get retired before I ever get to use my second Boxware protector. Worth every penny.

Anthony Caruana
02-19-2004, 06:25 AM
After using PDAs with touchscreens for over 7 years, I now don't even get my new deives out of the box without some sort of protection.

I've been using the same Writeshiled from PocketPCTechs for over 6 months with my 2210. Aside from one area of wear (from shuffling the letters playing Handmark Scrabble) it is still in great condition.

I figure that the packet of three protectors will probably last longer than the device!

ctmagnus
02-19-2004, 06:31 AM
I'm with Anthony. I've been using the same WriteShield (my own, not his ;) ) since the end of July. However, since I had used the other two from this three-pack on my 3670, I just ordered a three-pack of Boxwaves for when (if) this one wears out.

freakygreek
02-19-2004, 06:44 AM
I'll second at least jimski's comment on boxwaves I've had mine since I bought my pda going on 7 months. It took some doing squaring it to my screen but no bubbles. I've taken it off to clean it and the screen looks 10/10.

BoxWave
02-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Gents,

I wanted to offer my sincere thanks for the support, and as always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

PM, email at [email protected], or post in this thread.

Wing Lum
www.boxwave.com

jackdaniels
02-19-2004, 11:09 PM
The Cleartouch is just what the doctor ordered for my G. Now I don't get any of the greasy smudges on the screen from talking on the phone. I'm definitely less nervous about using my stylus and letting others handle my precious piece of technological hardware. Thanks Boxwave!

JonnoB
02-19-2004, 11:48 PM
When I sent my 221x to PPCTechs for some needed screen repairs and a memory upgrade (yeah 128mb!) I opted to have them install the WriteShield at the same time. I had used a screen protector before... but boy - what a difference! I highly recommend them.

yslee
02-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Just get the thick and more expensive made in japan types. Securer, disty, Brando, whathaveyou all seem the same to me.

wizardmaster2k
02-20-2004, 08:21 AM
i have been using the same brando screen protector for over 3 years... i got it when i got my ipaq 3635 and it is still being used with my new ppc today. it is removable, washable, and reusable... the surface feels like writing on paper, and it makes use much better. it is a great screen protector and lass a lifetime!

Paula
02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I use a Boxwave ClearTouch screen protector. They are brilliant! I write a lot of notes on my PPC throughout the day and I keep looking to see if I have worn a spot on the screen protector. It is still as clear and scratch free as the day I put it on. I am particulary fond of the no-glare look.

I don't understand why someone would not want to protect their devices by using a screen protector and the best case they can afford. These devices are not toys, nor are they cheap (especially if you live outside the US). I love my PPC, it serves me well and I want to return the favour by protecting it.

Paula

dylanbj
02-21-2004, 03:34 AM
What about the belkin screen protectors, are they good?

spawn_x
02-21-2004, 05:46 PM
well, i was convinced by this thread.. just picked one up..

lets see how it compares to the 20 dollar belkin....

garrans
02-23-2004, 07:59 PM
I bought the Belkins from my local Office Depot, tried applying two of them ..... frankly hated them.

a) Unable to get the bubbles out
b) the protector made the screen seem fuzzy.

However the plus: Returned them, no questions asked.

Steve.

BoxWave
02-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Gents,

Without any bias, I'd recommend basically ANY online screen protector over the Belkins. This is from first hand experience as well as reading the reviews of hundreds if not thousands of unsatisfied customers.

Just an fyi,

Wing
www.boxwave.com