View Full Version : "Search engine" on Google

Paul Martin
02-18-2004, 08:27 PM
For fun, I typed in "search engine" on Google, the order of the results was interesting:

1. Altavista
2. Excite
3. Google

Seem's kind of funny that Google is 3rd in what would seem natural to find them as the first listing.

pmradio

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Hah! Although, it makes sense. If you're searching for a search engine on Google, chances are you aren't looking for Google itself, right? ;)

--janak

Paul Martin
02-18-2004, 08:42 PM
I suppose, but I'd sure want my listing first! :D

It's been a while since I looked at search engine techniques. Does Google use paid listings for the top results? Did they get oubid. 8O

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Does Google use paid listings for the top results? Did they get oubid. 8O
No. Only the clearly-demarcated sponsored links (usually the colored boxes on the right) are paid for.

--janak

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 08:48 PM
That's all thanks to the PageRank technology. Google doesn't use the term "search engine", so it has to be ranked by the number of pages that link to Google using the term "search engine". And you've probably seen many people use "Google" as a verb by now. It's circulating itself into many dictionaries, despite some objections (http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0302D&L=ads-l&P=R2450), and it's already part of internet vernacular. It's quite passé to use the term "search engine" and "Google" nowadays; the latter implies the former. It's akin to saying "Kleenex facial tissue". So, while Google is still a search engine, no one refers to it by that anymore. It's just Google.

Paul Martin
02-18-2004, 08:57 PM
you've probably seen many people use "Google" as a verb by now.

Thanks for the clarification. And, yes, I've used a verbal form of Google on several occasions!

JackTheTripper
02-18-2004, 09:50 PM
that seems so strange to me since I've always told people I'd "Yahoo it." Yet I don't find a lot of others do this. Maybe it's because I grew up with yahoo in my back yard and know people who have been there since the start. But I still use them over google.

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 09:55 PM
that seems so strange to me since I've always told people I'd "Yahoo it." Yet I don't find a lot of others do this. Maybe it's because I grew up with yahoo in my back yard and know people who have been there since the start. But I still use them over google.

"Yahoo" doesn't seem like it's really verb-able. It's more of an exclamation. "Google" is a nice word that sounds like it can be most any part of speech.

Examples:
"I looked everywhere to find the googleing remote"
"I haven't googled since yesterday"
"He certainly has a nice google"
"I googlely typed up my report"

Oh, and Yahoo uses the Google search appliances, so you're just using a different implementation of Google. But chances are you knew that. :mrgreen:

JackTheTripper
02-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Yes, yes I did. But I stick with Yahoo so my friends can get richer. **Bastards! :evil: **

(I'm not jealous! Really!) :lol:

Paul Martin
02-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Oh, and Yahoo uses the Google search appliances, so you're just using a different implementation of Google. But chances are you knew that. :mrgreen:

If he didn't, he could always google it and find out! :rotfl:

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 10:06 PM

If he didn't, he could always google it and find out! :rotfl:

I think he'd still Yahoo it via Googleing it.

And am I the only one not looking forward to a Google's IPO?

Paul Martin
02-18-2004, 10:12 PM
I think he'd still Yahoo it via Googleing it.

So, would that be Yagoogling it?

Just curious why you're down on the IPO? Just wondering what the negative effects on Google might be?

Robb Bates
02-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Would you please congigate that verb for us?

I Google(tm).
You Google(tm).
He/She/It Google(tm)s.

I will have been Google(tm)ing.

So what ever happened to number googol? I'd like to sue Google(tm) for impinging on my understanding of this very large number. I have been emotionally traumatized!

Is there a laywer in the house?

Robb

Paul Martin
02-18-2004, 10:25 PM
I Google(tm).
You Google(tm).
He/She/It Google(tm)s.

I will have been Google(tm)ing.

I sure hope the (tm) is silent! :lol:

Robb Bates
02-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Well, of course not! We wouldn't want to deprive Google(tm) of their well deserved success and aknowledge their claim to the word Google(tm). :roll:

But when you say the (tm) you have to say it quietly to the side. :lol:

Robb

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 10:37 PM
And am I the only one not looking forward to a Google's IPO?
AFAIK, Google's IPO is on hold (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-981726,00.html), so don't worry too much about it. ;)

--janak