View Full Version : CF vs SDIO

DimensionZero
02-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this question has been posted before but I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare a CF wireless card to and SDIO one.

Things like range and power consumption...

I'm planning on getting a Socket wifi card and figured that if the SD version performs as well as the CF one then I'd spend the few extra bucks for the small form factor since CF flash cards are pretty much cheaper than an SD one..

THanks!

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 07:52 AM
I use a SanDisk Connect Wi-Fi SD card with my iPaq 1935. It uses the battery very quickly, because the unit is smaller. I'd say it goes down 8% in like ten minutes.

If you have a unit big enough for CF then you probably also have a pretty decent battery life to go with it.

I think the ranges are about the same though... Maybe about 200-300 Ft. to the very max.

DimensionZero
02-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I have a 2210... And I would expect that the Socket cards would be friendlier in terms of power consumption...

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I have a 2210... And I would expect that the Socket cards would be friendlier in terms of power consumption...

Probably, but you never know.

Oh, my card gets hot sometimes (like a desktop card would) and it gets soo hot I don't know how my PPC can take it! It doesn't get that hot, but still :| It also has a light on top. Its a nice light, not a blinding one. It blinks a few times and then stays on while connected. If the connection is lost, then it blinks again.

One thing I hate about the SanDisk card, though, is that I can hear clicks in the headphones (as a normal LED light would show activity, the clicks seem to be taking its place) when the card is sending/recieving data. It isn't that loud, and when music is playing it doesn't make a difference. This doesn't happen when headphones aren't plugged in (ie. doesn't come out through the speaker :D )