View Full Version : CNN and Real trial

Jeff Rutledge
02-18-2004, 01:37 AM
I am sitting on hold now going on 15 minutes with Real. I just want to cancel my trial period.

I wanted to check out the video content at CNN.com (actually I was looking into it for someone else). To do it, I had to be a CNN subscriber. So I went ahead and clicked the free trial period. I read the contract that said I had to enter a credit card # and if I didn't cancel within the 14-day trial, they'd start charging me. No problem so far.

So I decide to cancel it. After the cyber-runaround, I finally end up on the Real site (apparently that's where my subscription went). I login, go to my accounts page and hit Cancel. Then I see a screen that I have to call a 1-800 number in order to cancel my account. So now I'm on hold waiting to talk to someone. (20 minutes now). I'm starting to wonder if they try to make you wait...hoping that you'll give up and keep trying it for a while longer.

The bottom line for me is that if I can sign up with a few clicks, I should be able to cancel with a few clicks. Period.

[/soapbox]

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Join the club when it comes to Real. IMO, they are the sleaziest software company out there. Well, maybe Claria (Gator's new name) is sleazier.

--janak

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Join the club when it comes to Real. IMO, they are the sleaziest software company out there. Well, maybe Claria (Gator's new name) is sleazier.

--janak

Microsoft can be pretty sleazy sometimes :D

"Hey I wanna buy Office 2003!" Five-hundred dollars.
"What's that? I need XP to run it???" Three-hundred dollars.
"What are you saying? I need to activate it? I don't have an internet connection! I don't have a phone!" Fifty dollars a month.
"What's that now? I need to subscribe to MSN to use all the features?" Five bucks a month.

"Now what??? Linux is free?!?!"

David Prahl
02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I have no idea why, but I have a full CNN subscription. :D I didn't sign up for anything, and it works in IE and Firebird on my home PC.

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 04:08 PM
"What are you saying? I need to activate it? I don't have an internet connection! I don't have a phone!" Fifty dollars a month.
Go to a pay phone and call MS for 50 cents. I just saved you $50! :lol:

"Now what??? Linux is free?!?!"
Nuh-uh, Fry's is selling it for $50! Looks like I didn't save you money after all. :mrgreen:

I don't mind MS fees, mainly since with my student discount, Windows XP and Office XP professionals cost around $15 together.

Oh, and back to the topic: I loathe Real. Is there a good player that can play the .rm files and integrates into the browser? I swear I had one before I formatted, but I certainly haven't found one again.

Janak Parekh
02-18-2004, 05:14 PM
In all seriousness: Microsoft is nowhere near Real's sleaziness. Real has taken it to another level. Its player surreptitiously grabs file extensions, reports you, refuses to exit when you tell it to, etc. etc. They're universally one of the most hated computer software companies.

adwignall: I've heard of Real Alternative (don't have a definite URL; do a Google search). Might do what you want.

--janak

David Prahl
02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
I don't mind MS fees, mainly since with my student discount, Windows XP and Office XP professionals cost around $15 together.

I'll be a college freshman this coming fall - how do I get a discount on XP pro? Do I get it from the school? Thanks!

I think every Netizen hates Real. It's just part of the online experience!

dmacburry2003
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
In all seriousness: Microsoft is nowhere near Real's sleaziness. Real has taken it to another level. Its player surreptitiously grabs file extensions, reports you, refuses to exit when you tell it to, etc. etc. They're universally one of the most hated computer software companies.

adwignall: I've heard of Real Alternative (don't have a definite URL; do a Google search). Might do what you want.

--janak

If it was actually fast enough so that I could push the exit button!!! :D

PS: When I last called RCN (my ISP), too many people were calling in for the MS Blaster virus and the lines were full to capacity. I was calling because I wanted to know what the serial port was for on the cable modem and if it supported being directly hooked up to a hub. Well, I was on the phone for about forty-five minutes listening to this funny music they had on (50's, it sounded like :wink: ) and I was laughing the whole time. So, the music stops, and a vox voice comes on. "...If you would like to recieve information on the MS Blaster Worm please press 1..." "...If you would like to talk to a customer service representative, please stay on the line..." OK, by this point I was getting pi$$ed off and I had stopped laughing at the music (it changed when the lady came on). I waited another ten minutes.

This is where it got really funny.

I was using a cordless phone to make the call, whose base was on the computer desk, along with the computer, TV, and other devices. So it had gotten to be about an hour when I was really, really, pi$$ed. I was so pi$$ed that when the vox lady spoke again, I kicked the wall in anger and that's when the guy came on to take over the call. Then a PICTURE FELL OFF the wall, after after I kicked it. The picture hit the surge protector switch and turned everything off. OMG! Well, that was insane. I was mad and laughing. :twisted:

So I called again. This time I laid on the couch while making the call. It took another hour and a half until the guy came on. I talked to him, and found out that the serial port was for updating the modem (by an OEM) and it could only be hooked up to a hub if I had two seperate IP's and on the same modem.

So how was that for sleazy? :D

David Prahl
02-18-2004, 10:43 PM
8O

Jeff Rutledge
02-18-2004, 10:46 PM

--janak

Yup, after what I went through yesterday, I made sure Real was off of every computer I own. Turns out it was only on one anyways...

BTW, I finally got through at 37 minutes. After that it was pretty painless. I did ask the girl on the Call Centre to pass up the line that I thought it was junk that I had to call to cancel. She sounded like it wasn't the first time she'd heard that feedback. :?

Wiggster
02-18-2004, 11:48 PM
I'll be a college freshman this coming fall - how do I get a discount on XP pro? Do I get it from the school? Thanks!
!

Yep, if you want to find it that cheap, then your school is going to have to have a lciense with Microsoft where they can give unlimited licenses to students. If your school doesn't offer Windows/Office, you can find sites that have it at a student discount of around 40-60%.

What school are you going to?

ignar
02-18-2004, 11:53 PM

I think every Netizen hates Real. It's just part of the online experience!

The deal is usually based on the contract between colleges and MS. Which college will you go? UW students can buy Windows XP and Office for $81 each. Not a great deal especially since it used to cost around $30. If you take any class from Info Sys in business school though, you can get most of MS software including Win XP, 2000, Office, VS.NET, SQL Server, etc for free.

David Prahl
02-19-2004, 01:44 AM
I'll be at Eau-Claire, (majoring in Computer Science). :mrgreen:

I asked the CS guy about getting a discount on XP pro, and he said that this year was different (they had negociated a lesser contract with MS). Office XP 2003 is about $130 locally if you're a student - I'd like to spend less than $200 for Office and XP pro.