View Full Version : Pocketwerks Vinyl Now Free

Jason Dunn
02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketwerks.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketwerks.com/</a><br /><br /></div>"Vinyl was designed from the ground up to take advantage of your digital music collection. With Vinyl you can remotely navigate and control the playback of your digital media collection from your Pocket PC via a beautiful user interface that features album cover art throughout."<br /><br />Here's the best part:<br /><br />"Originally we charged for Vinyl, but Vinyl was a labor of love and more than anything we would like all Pocket PC owners using it. Individuals are welcome to use the unlimited fully functional free version of Vinyl, but all private installers, hardware OEMs, and VARs should contact Pocketwerks Marketing to find out about enterprise licensing plans."<br /><br />Grab it while you can!

arbitrajeu
02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Gah! You internet vandals! You've gone and PocketPCThoughts'd their site :evil:

Jason Dunn
02-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Gah! You internet vandals! You've gone and PocketPCThoughts'd their site :evil:

It's loading, just very slowly. Patience Young Jedi. 0X

arbitrajeu
02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
:lol: Download keeps hanging on my machine - hopefully they'll not take it down any time soon...

MonkeyGrass
02-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Maybe a :?: that's been asked before, but does this run under WM2k3?

Jason Dunn
02-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Maybe a :?: that's been asked before, but does this run under WM2k3?

They don't say, but I'm willing to bet that it does.

Jordan Rosenwald
02-17-2004, 07:53 PM
This is a really great piece of software guys. I'm glad that it's out there for everyone to use.
For those that missed it, I reviewed this software a while back.
Check out the review. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17838&highlight=)

Paul
02-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Yay more free software! I've always wanted to try out this app and now I can. :)

T-Will
02-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Cool!!!

Has anyone tried it with Winamp 5 yet?

Pat Logsdon
02-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Cool!!!

It doesn't actually work like that. The desktop component is called "Vinyl Server", and you tell it where your music is stored. It then establishes a connection with the client on the PPC, and the PPC is then used as a souped-up remote to play and control the music via WiFi.

It's a pretty cool app - you can skip forward and back, adjust volume, see album art, etc.

T-Will
02-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh...cool...I think I was thinking of one of those other remote control programs where it actually controls the player itself. :)

EscapePod
02-17-2004, 11:54 PM
I take it that Vinyl doesn't work with a Dell AXIM. ?

rapidnet_rick
02-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Just curious, I see that it supports/requires? WinAMP 2.x??

What for, the docs are sketchy at best....(Yes, I do realize it's essentially a remote control for a PC, unlike ShoutCast....)

So, when WinAMP 2.x is listed as supports/required, you get the question about WinAMP 5.x....

Thanks...

Cool!!!

It doesn't actually work like that. The desktop component is called "Vinyl Server", and you tell it where your music is stored. It then establishes a connection with the client on the PPC, and the PPC is then used as a souped-up remote to play and control the music via WiFi.

It's a pretty cool app - you can skip forward and back, adjust volume, see album art, etc.

Pat Logsdon
02-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Just curious, I see that it supports/requires? WinAMP 2.x??
What for, the docs are sketchy at best....(Yes, I do realize it's essentially a remote control for a PC, unlike ShoutCast....)
So, when WinAMP 2.x is listed as supports/required, you get the question about WinAMP 5.x....
Very interesting - I've never used WinAMP, and didn't need it to use Vinyl. It's possible that the software can hook into WinAMP playlists instead of creating new ones - that'd be my guess.

Pat Logsdon
02-18-2004, 12:28 AM
I take it that Vinyl doesn't work with a Dell AXIM. ?
It worked just fine on mine...I was running PPC 2002 when I had it installed - not sure if WM2003 is any different.

adamz
02-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Jeez! I hate programs that rearrange my start menu!!

I also hate programs that remove my start menu, clock, volume control, reception icon, and software input method!
What's with this horrible interface?? I havn't even finished configuring it, and I'm ready to throw it out the window.

Pat Logsdon
02-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Jeez! I hate programs that rearrange my start menu!!

I also hate programs that remove my start menu, clock, volume control, reception icon, and software input method!
What's with this horrible interface?? I havn't even finished configuring it, and I'm ready to throw it out the window.
Yup - it does work in full screen, and it does add itself to the start menu. I didn't find the first annoying, and fixed the second by removing the shortcut in the Windows/Start Menu directory.

adamz
02-18-2004, 03:22 PM
The server won't even scan all my audio files. It freezes when it get's to Axelle Red's Toujour a moi. Maybe it doesn't like French accent characters. :( It didn't even get to the japanese character tracks.