View Full Version : Cingular to buy AT&T

ntractv
02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
In case you hadn't heard. Found this article on MSNBC's site.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4276272/

PetiteFlower
02-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Whee, 2 services with crappy coverage and worse customer service, joining together, that can only be bad....

foldedspace
02-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Two different kind of networks, no? How is that going to work?

Wiggster
02-17-2004, 07:36 PM
We just need quad-band phones, that's all. :wink:

I get this news two days after getting a Cingular phone isntead of an AT&T phone. Yay, me!

Don't really have much to say about this, except the usual thing of disliking all the layoffs that'll happen.

Janak Parekh
02-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Two different kind of networks, no? How is that going to work?
No. Both Cingular and AT&T have both TDMA and GSM networks. Both are transitioning to full-time 850/1900 GSM. So you won't actually need a quadband, adwignall. ;)

--janak

JackTheTripper
02-17-2004, 08:46 PM
We just need quad-band phones, that's all. :wink:

I get this news two days after getting a Cingular phone isntead of an AT&T phone. Yay, me!

Don't really have much to say about this, except the usual thing of disliking all the layoffs that'll happen.

you have 15 days to cancel service with no penalties. Only thing you have to pay for is the few days of service you actually had it for and any charges (411, long distance, etc....) you may have used.

GoldKey
02-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Just to complicate things, I am a US Cellular customer. US Cellular just did a teritory swap with ATT so over the next month, I am being switch to be an ATT customer, and it appears that will now be switching again soon.

Wiggster
02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
you have 15 days to cancel service with no penalties. Only thing you have to pay for is the few days of service you actually had it for and any charges (411, long distance, etc....) you may have used.

Not planning on switching, but I was comparing AT&T and Cingular, and decided on Cingular. Now it doesn't matter! Hurrah for luck.

foldedspace
02-17-2004, 10:22 PM
So I can get access in SW Texas now on Cingulars network with my ATT Nokia N-Gage phone?

Currently there is a big hole west of San Antonio that ATT does not cover...but Cingular works just fine.

Janak Parekh
02-17-2004, 11:09 PM
So I can get access in SW Texas now on Cingulars network with my ATT Nokia N-Gage phone?
Not quite yet, AFAICT. ;) But soon.

--janak