View Full Version : Looking for a startup PW utility

DaScribbler
02-17-2004, 09:36 AM
I've recently been keeping documents, files, and other information on my PPC which I'd like to keep secure. I'm currently demoing different apps like eWallet, Codewallet, etc... however while I find them secure if I use all the features, it's annoying having to type in a not-so-common password every single time I open the wallet (it can be quite often).

So I decided I'd give it a simple little PIN number to use to speed up the process yet keep SOME security behind it. But in addition to that I'd like to use a utility which requires a secure entry after power on, or reset, or even after Idle time.

I've taken a look at signwise (learning to not TRY to write my signature vs just writing it, took some getting used to) which is kinda nice, and works well, however I've yet to get a response from anybody as to whether it works well in VGA mode. I'd hate to go into VGA, only to find I can't enter. BTW, if you use Signwise, make sure Calligrapher doesn't startup automatically at soft reset as you'll never get in....you'll be stuck having to uninstall signwise from Active Sync just to get back in.

So Anyhoo... Does anybody have any recommendations for other apps to secure entry? Or have any experience with Signwise and VGA?

famousdavis
02-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Since getting my PPC, I've used Nice Start for power-on password protection. I like it because I use a simple 4-digit password to gain quick entry, but if I lost my PPC, someone would be able to guess only a few times before Nice Start would wipe out all memory contents. Unless it's a real hack that's found my PPC, Nice Start offers a good solution.

Here's a link (http://www.bityard.com/article.php?sid=550) I found on Google that reviews the program, and from there you can go to Handango and trial it if you wish.