View Full Version : What features do you use frequently in your PPC?

ng608
02-17-2004, 07:20 AM
I use my PPC mainly for PIM. I am still inclined to use paper when taking notes. How do I make my PPC replace my pen and paper? It seems that paper is still the most convenient way to jot down anything. Please give me your opinion.

Ripper014
02-17-2004, 07:35 AM
I can not dispute your use of paper... but I always migrate anything that I deem important to the pda... I like using dNote because it allows me to put my notes into categories... it makes them easy to locate...

If it is something I need only for a few minutes I still do not mind using pencil and paper...

Jacob
02-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Paper always beats the PPC.

However, if something is really important, I'll put it into the PPC. I find the PPC very useful for keeping track of things that I might have to look up.

senfeng
02-17-2004, 08:27 AM
I don't know... my PhatPad and I get along pretty well. I used to use paper for meetings, but since I carry my PPC EVERYWHERE, I've gotten used to jotting down ideas at lunch or in bed. I eventually started taking my PPC to meetings, so now I'm used to it. The only time I really use paper is when I need to detail a flow chart or some other type of large drawing. However, in these cases I also revert to using the white board.

DaScribbler
02-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Once I got used to the feel, I found myself using my Tosh to jot down notes more often than on paper.

Calligrapher and HPC Notes do very well for me.

tanalasta
02-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Well, most features i use on my pda are associated with purchased software than the base PPC.

Love taking notes - I use phatpad too for my notetaking. But I love PI5 more, especially being able to add multiple tasks and categorise them. It's stopped me forget things so many times :)

Otherwise, portability for reading/editing my word documents and reading textbooks (so light!)

dh
02-17-2004, 12:12 PM
For work I use my PPC mainly for organization and for having data close at hand. The apps I use most are PI, Web1S Mail, SpreadCE and Textmaker.

I use the notes app in Pi for meeting notes. I normally just use a note as part of the calender entry for the meeting.

Since I use Calligrapher I have a bit of correcting to do sometimes but on the whole it works well.

It's really useful having all my e- mails, spreadsheets and other information right there as well.

arnage2
02-17-2004, 03:41 PM
I use the vibration/alarm, the fingerprint scanner, and the wireless antenna every day.

A also play/emulate games, watch videos, and listen to music.

I just began streaming music via wifi.

drop
02-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Can I say I use the "computing" feature of PPC more frequently than paper and pen replacement?

It can sort, searching, store, run apps, etc. All make my life so much easier.

famousdavis
02-17-2004, 06:06 PM
I use my PPC mainly for PIM. I am still inclined to use paper when taking notes. How do I make my PPC replace my pen and paper? It seems that paper is still the most convenient way to jot down anything. Please give me your opinion.

Keep a pad of paper and a pencil handy. PPCs and pen-n-paper will never win the tussle of which method is better to take notes with? Both excel in some ways, and both have limitations to them. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to create a note in a PPC (how, for instance, will you share that grocery list with your spouse without giving up your PPC?).

Jeff Rutledge
02-17-2004, 06:35 PM
The apps I use the most are PI, WebIS Mail, ListPro, WMP, Palm Reader, Money and PocketTVBrowser. I access all of these pretty much daily.

As for the pen vs. paper debate, I haven't totally given up paper. I still keep a notebook which I use for concalls and meetings. I am not sure why really. Old habits probably...

shawnc
02-17-2004, 06:51 PM
MP3, MS Reader, downloading internet content (via avantgo) and wireless internet at home are my commonly used app's. I do have contact information loaded and keep it current but don't use it often because same info is loaded into my cell phone.

NEVER use it for notetaking and rarely use it as a scheduler. My guess is if I could sync with my Lotus Notes calender at work I would use it as a scheduler, but as it stands right now, someone emails me an invite to a meeting and I have to manually enter that into my PPC. Not worth it.

BTW, I do seem to have fixed my alarm issue so now I use my PPC as my morning alarm clock :multi: