View Full Version : Audiovox Thera phone

Candygogo
02-17-2004, 03:28 AM
Anyone have it? What's your opinions on this phone?

I saw one on sale for under $150 and was curious. How is the minutes/data plan under Verizon?

arnage2
02-17-2004, 04:06 AM
i wouldnt buy it. It is not a phone edt, requires a headset, its huge and just plain sucks. Buy the samsung i600(wm smartphone) or i700 (ppc phone edt 2002, and 2003 upgrade). Trust me!

Janak Parekh
02-17-2004, 06:29 AM
ARNAGE2 is basically correct. Except for special cases (data-only is one possibility), I'd avoid it:

- Pocket PC 2002, likely no upgrade to 2003
- 32MB of RAM
- Reflective, not transflective display
- Very mediocre battery life -- maybe 1 hour talk or 8 hours standby
- As Arnage mentions, not a Pocket PC Phone Edition -- custom Sierra Wireless software bolted on.

There's a reason they're selling it this cheap. :|

--janak

freitasm
02-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Yep, don't go there. The Audiovox PPC 5050 (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1640) was announced during the last CES in Las Vegas, and I've a couple of users that already imported it into the US and are using it. A much better Phone Edition.

I wouldn't recomment this way though, because these users had a hard time trying to convince the CDMA operators to accept the phones in their networks. If you want this on a CDMA network, wait until it's officialy released, and then you'll have a cool device.

Candygogo
02-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Hmmm....general consensus advises against picking up this phone! Like someone mentioned, there is a reason these are being sold cheap now. I guess the only value I could see in this phone was if you wanted/needed a cheap Pocket PC and already had or was thinking about getting Verizon cell service.